TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the month of October in Florida, I returned about 5 weeks ago to Ohio and got lost in my own little world...so I have not been around here at all of late...but got out in the garage today and was looking at Old Blue, the 2014, and decided that is what the wife could get me for Christmas, a new Lithium Featherweight Battery...they cost about $100, and she keeps bugging me about "What do you want for Christmas"? "Not really anything" is my reply...so guess the question is does anybody have one of these WPS Featherweight ION batteries, and is it worth a damn or the price?

Meanwhile here are some photos I shot at Naples{while house sitting my youngest sister's house while her and Denmark Mike were back in his home country}, my old hometown of Venice, Islmorada in the Keys, DeLand on the St John River, and the Everglades....enjoy:

View attachment DSC_0108.jpg Tom's St John River Sunset 1.jpg DSC_0008 (2).JPG View attachment DSC_0070 (2).JPG View attachment DSC_0933 (2).JPG

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More Shots from Florida...in my time in my old home state, I poured my late Brother's Ashes at several spots on the Gulf Side....Homosassa, Venice, and off Sister's Dock in the Gulf....plus I had plenty of time to travel around the south part of the state, visite some old Military and Childhood Buddies, and friends who have moved down that way in recent years...a few Issues with the Jeep Wrangler, but it was, after all a good shake down run for that vehicle, and I took care of what was needed before the Ohio Winter sets in

Here are some more shots....

View attachment DSC_1020.jpg DSC_0948 (3).JPG Naples Dock Sunset 1 (2).jpg View attachment DSC_0040 (2).JPG View attachment DSC_0870.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
Hey Hoot - good to see you're still kicking (we did try a couple of political threads, but it 'aint the same without your rather unique outlook on things)

Nice to have you back .... :D

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The photo of the St. John's river near Deland brings back lots of memories.
Spent a a lot of time boating on the St Johns while attending Stetson University....loooog time ago.:eek:

This is what the river looked like about 1 1/2 years ago when I revisited the area......big difference from the time when you could travel miles and not see another boat::

jb

·
Registered
290 Posts
I hope our weather treated you well while down this way, Hoot. My paternal grandparents owned a motel in Naples called The Poinciana from the 50's through the '70's. It was right on Hwy 301. My grandfather loved him some surf fishing, shrimping and crabbing. He had a WW II surplus Jeep back then I thought was the greatest thing in the world. Us kids would dig up a bunch of coquinas at the beach and grandpa would use them to make a soup base stock to make seafood chowder. Man what I would give for a bowl of that today! Lots of very fond childhood memories from down that way.

Marty

·
Registered
290 Posts
Spent a a lot of time boating on the St Johns while attending Stetson University....loooog time ago.:eek:

This is what the river looked like about 1 1/2 years ago when I revisied the area......big difference from the time when you could travel miles and not see another boat::

jb
JB,

Did you ever cross the Fort Gates Ferry over to Salt Springs in the Ocala NF while riding the area?

Marty

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
JB,

Did you ever cross the Fort Gates Ferry over to Salt Springs in the Ocala NF while riding the area?

Marty

Yes, one time, years ago on a heavy Honda cruiser that did not like the washboard sand road leading to the ferry (on the west side of the river).

I was already at Salt Springs on the west side, and needed to get to the east side in order get to Deland and Ormand Beach.

Hopefully the road has been improved by now. Will need to check it out next time I'm in the area.

I've often wondered if the ferry was still operating. Apparently it is (but temporarily closed):

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=40285

Seems the roads have not improved.

"These are unimproved roads and may become very rutted at times."

Marty, you've peaked my interest. Watched a few videos about the ferry:

I have a friend that lives in nearby Barberville who may soon get a visit.

jb

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I crossed time before last, (several years ago on moto) it was $10 for car and $5 for motorcycle. I only had a $10 bill and got a large Wooden Nickle Token in return as change good for next crossing. Kept in pocket over a year till it started to splinter and disintegrate. Next time I crossed the same captain remembered me as we had talked about the little Perkins diesel engine that powered his tug had gotten swamped and he had to have it rebuilt so I crossed on my own recognizance so to speak. Another helping reminder for him several months prior to that I was headed up (south) river in my old aluminum Lone Star boat as he was pushing a truck across and I shouted hello and explained the demise of said nickel at him and with a thumbs up return as he shouted back that he would remember me.

Marty

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is what the river looked like about 1 1/2 years ago when I revisited the area......big difference from the time when you could travel miles and not see another boat::

jb
My Buddy from here in Ohio, lives down that way on the river in a little berg called Astor...he trains and works with Trotters and Pacer Horses...the shot was taken off his dock, after a brief shower...I was working my way north back to Ohio and stopped by his place for a couple days...

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope our weather treated you well while down this way, Hoot. My paternal grandparents owned a motel in Naples called The Poinciana from the 50's through the '70's. It was right on Hwy 301. My grandfather loved him some surf fishing, shrimping and crabbing. He had a WW II surplus Jeep back then I thought was the greatest thing in the world. Us kids would dig up a bunch of coquinas at the beach and grandpa would use them to make a soup base stock to make seafood chowder. Man what I would give for a bowl of that today! Lots of very fond childhood memories from down that way.

Marty
A couple of storms, but for the most part, record heat, even for South Florida...humid most days with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s...but no complaints, still better than freezing...:D The 50s and 60s growing up in Venice, back when both Venice and Nokomis were less than 1000 people each...things have changed in the name of progress...Sad to say!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts