TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is on my new to me, 2000 TW that I've been working on for the last few weeks.
I finally got around to drilling out the brass plug on my air mixture screw today.
Was extremely surprised to find that it was ALL the way screwed in!
I unscrewed it to 2.25 or 2.5 turns out. I know they're known to be tuned lean from the factor
but WOW!
I'll be starting it hopefully tomorrow, and we'll see how she runs!
RicklesssS in Oregon

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Have you pulled your plug to get a baseline feeling for just how lean it has been running before today? How many miles on the 2000? Curious how it ran and whether rest of carb settings are stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fred,
The only time I've heard it run was when I bought it, but the muffler was rusted out, so we quickly shut it down!
It only has 980 miles on it, and the guy said it ran good. I dunno' though.
The original plug looked fine, and the jets in the carb are all stock, #40 pilot, and #114 main.
All I can think is that when my drill bit went though the brass plug, it turned the mixture screw in?
I'll take a better look at it and see if it looks like the drill bit touched it.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Wow, only 980 miles. You found a winner. Sounds like if it had been lean from mixture screw setting it was not excessive. Time to go have fun on it and rack up some miles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's what I was thinking, you may have snagged the screw with the drill bit upon punching through the plug- it's easy to do if you don't use a stop on the bit.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
That's what I was thinking, you may have snagged the screw with the drill bit upon punching through the plug- it's easy to do if you don't use a stop on the bit.
I've seen this done a number of times. Look at the mixture screw, I bet you can see where the drill bit caught it.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
No picture oilhed, sorry. However this plug which conceals the mixture screw is on the bottom of the main carburetor casting, not the float chamber cover, at the front beneath where the intake manifold attaches. Plug is brass colored and approx. 1/4" diameter. If you loosen the carb boot clamps the carb can be carefully rotated to reveal underside of carb and this plug. This info pertains to the new style carb, I do not know about the older style.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No picture oilhed, sorry. However this plug which conceals the mixture screw is on the bottom of the main carburetor casting, not the float chamber cover, at the front beneath where the intake manifold attaches. Plug is brass colored and approx. 1/4" diameter. If you loosen the carb boot clamps the carb can be carefully rotated to reveal underside of carb and this plug. This info pertains to the new style carb, I do not know about the older style.
Hope this Helps, this is off my XT-350 carb from last year, haven,t done my new to me TW-200, hopefully tomorrow, but should be in basically the same position..
tn_Air screw position.jpg tn_Brass plug air screw - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup! That's the plug.... Dang it ! I completely forgot to look and see if my drill bit caught the screw and turned it in.
Hikerglenn and Scotti, that you've seen or heard of this happening make me think that's what happened.
I did not use a stop on the bit, I know the plug is only a mm or two thick, so I tried to be careful...
I'll try to remember to take a look at it tomorrow.
Ricklessss in Oregon

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, boneheaded move on my part, I did in fact screw in the air mixture screw when drilling the brass plug out.
Duh! I'll either really have to try to be more careful the next time, or use a drill bit stop.
The head of the screw is up in there a ways, so setting the stop at a quarter inch depth
would work well I see now...
Thanks for all the feedback!
RicklesssS in Oregon

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Gee I've owned my first TW for 6 years, second one for 1 year and haven't even removed the plugs from the idle mixture screws. I really want to do that some day. Planning a rejet in 12 years....lol

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Gee I've owned my first TW for 6 years, second one for 1 year and haven't even removed the plugs from the idle mixture screws. I really want to do that some day. Planning a rejet in 12 years....lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :p A little tweaking on the mixture screw does help, especially on cold mornings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, that's fairly amazing! What with Canada's colder temps, you'd think you'd have at least slight starting issues.
Maybe Canada's carb jetting is better dialed in? Never heard that, so probably not...
You just must have your starting routine down! Don't mess with it!
I know with the XT-225 we have here, tweeking the screw was an absolute must. Maybe some of these TW's
aren't quite as cold blooded?
RicklesssS in Oregon. (Where every year it gets a little or a lot, warmer.)

·
Registered
486 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :p A little tweaking on the mixture screw does help, especially on cold mornings.
So stock it was 1-1/2 turns out. Blip the throttle in the first five min. it hiccups and stalls.
Now it's 2-1/2 turns out. As soon as I started I could blip the throttle. Hesitate but no stall.

Gotta let it warm up and take for a ride still. See how it runs. Will this affect MPG, too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2014 stock setting was exactly 1 full turn out. Set it at 2.5 and put a 130 main jet in. It's like a new bike, runs like it always should have. Comes off full enrich immediately, 30 seconds at the 1 notch setting and it's good to go. No more decel popping. I'm happy!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
My 2014 stock setting was exactly 1 full turn out. Set it at 2.5 and put a 130 main jet in. It's like a new bike, runs like it always should have. Comes off full enrich immediately, 30 seconds at the 1 notch setting and it's good to go. No more decel popping. I'm happy!
This is my experience as well. Runs great!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Peterb, it might already be gone. Here in Fairbanks, the dealer removed the plug and ran the screw out another turn before the bike left the lot. When I went to rejet the carb I discovered that. I was really surprised, because I've never heard of a dealer doing that before. I just assumed because we live up here in the cold that they make a few concessions with the bikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts