TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject of Battery Life has been discussed to death over my nearly 5 years on this site...but I have to give a "Shout Out" to the one that is on my 2014....

7000 miles in 4 years {purchased new March 21, 2014} and stored in my large, clean, but unheated garage in western Ohio....I have only experience a {semi} dead battery on one occasion...the 2014 has been sitting since mid January without even having the key in the ignition ... put the trickle charge on it for 5 hours this morning, and it roared to life with just a turn of the key....a little choke was all that was needed....

I will likely buy a new one, but only use it as a back up for the coming season...why fix it if it ain't broken? :p

TW Bath Time 005.JPG TW Bath Time 005.JPG

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
4 years is not bad battery life.
You should be good to go as long as you go with Nick so he can push start you if necessary. If not then park atop hills if possible until confident of your TW battery's ability to hold a charge.
May we assume you topped off all 6 of the batterie's cells with nice clean distilled water? Checked for terminal corrosion?....the batteries, not your own personal corrosion, mine is approaching a critical level but not yet terminal.:eek:

Replaced Mrs.Fred's frequently used SUV battery yesterday after 7 years, not bad. Another seldom used tractor battery lasted but 2 years. Duty cycle, storage and maintenance may be as important as brand name.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The further you are from home , the greater the likelihood a 4 yr. old battery will fail. Better order and install kickstarter kit.:D
If I get a Kick Start will you install if for a six pack ?:cool:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 years is not bad battery life.
You should be good to go as long as you go with Nick so he can push start you if necessary. If not then park atop hills if possible until confident of your TW battery's ability to hold a charge.
May we assume you topped off all 6 of the batterie's cells with nice clean distilled water? Checked for terminal corrosion?....the batteries, not your own personal corrosion, mine is approaching a critical level but not yet termina.
Damn Nick installed a brand new high tech battery and the damn thing died on him...lol like I said Fred, if it ain't broke....." :D As far as the refill with distilled water, done that one time in 4 years, that was last summer...terminals are cleaned each spring....

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
If you rode more you would need a battery more often because...

you'd leave your key in the on position with the light more and that would kill your battery over and over. And then you can buy a battery every year or two like some of us absent minded no key turner off'er battery killing dudes & dudette's! :p

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
And I thought I was getting senile!! :eek::p

My AGM in the 2010 was still fine at 4 years.....after I disconnected the low beam and the always on front running lights. I just turn it to high beam on the pavement. Now I can ride all day at 5 mph with the GPS left on at stops. I put a new one in the 2018 in the showroom.....I don't want no steenking battery acid on MY bike!!! :mad:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New battery is fine, cold and moisture is what my starting problems were bike fires right up , will give hoot my old battery it also still has life in it, but changed it out to be on the starting side of safe.

I don't want that stinking battery, mine is fine...put it in one of your tractors and mowers...:clock:

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Why would you need a charging device for a lithium ion battery, don't you ride the bike at least once a year?
I thought the technology was developed to provide batteries to send out into space with a good ten year service life, as well as terrestrial flashlights and battery packs for remote sensors and other devices which may be left unattended for years at a time. My two Li battery equipped bikes always fire right up and have never seen , nor needed a separate charger. TW stator restores a full charge amazingly quickly and there is a minimal voltage drop under load which seems to makes the starter turn faster and longer.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Both lead/acid and AGM need some charging once a month or so for peak performance, cold starts, etc. Lithium ion probably only once a year, UNLESS you have any parasitic draw, as I found out the hard way on my F650GS a few years back. Unmodified TW's don't have any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts