TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the first owner of this bike but the exhaust is stock. Trying to figure out if they are supposed to be this loud or if I have a problem. I don't mind a little noise but prefer as quiet as possible. I even wear ear plugs while riding but the noise level still bothers me. I've changed both gaskets on the exhaust but am still wondering if there might be a leak. I'm considering the home made second muffler add on. I've tried and failed to remove the screw holding the muffler end cap on - drill bit broken off inside bolt, may attempt again so i can try exhaust packing. I downloaded a free decibel reading app and according to what is stamped on the muffler it is correct. (Somewhere in the 80s i think)

Any suggestions or advice? My header pipe could use a new paint job so i may be taking it apart soon anyway.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Here are some possibly helpful threads from the past:

Muffler repack?.

Quiet muffler options?..

A common solution here that works a bit is a 3/4 copper elbow affixed to your exhaust outlet, either 45 or 90 degrees directing exhaust downwards. I tried a 1" 45 elbow once that helped at a distance but in my opinion seemed louder to me while in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Watch some of the videos on YouTube with good sound quality. There are even some videos with before and after comparisons. Should be fairly obvious if yours is not stock. I would prefer them a bit quieter, but when you hear the DGs and FMFs the stockers don’t seem that bad. I like my neighbors a lot or I would have already experimented with aftermarket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like my best bet is to try and take the muffler apart and repack it. I've read quite a few of the quieter exhaust threads while trying to solve this but i will keep looking. I will begin shopping for packing material and maybe a new gasket again for the muffler/header connection.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Some guys open the muffler and remove the baffle and spark arrestor from it. If this is the issue you might need to buy a good used muffler. You might also try to find another local TW that is stock and listen to compare the sound to yours.

GaryL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some guys open the muffler and remove the baffle and spark arrestor from it. If this is the issue you might need to buy a good used muffler. You might also try to find another local TW that is stock and listen to compare the sound to yours.

GaryL
This is what i first thought had happened so I pushed a wire into the muffler and could feel the spark arrestor still attached. I don't think it has been tampered with but will still try and take it off to find out. There are not very many tw200s in Ireland although there are a few available for sale on line as of lately. I think the only ones here were imported by individuals. I see Tw125s every once in a while but not very often. Shipping to Ireland is also pretty expensive which makes buying large items on Ebay kinda pointless. Even shipping from UK or mainland Europe is a rip off sometimes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you take a look at this thread (from another forum): Z1's super duper stock exhaust mod...illustrated | Upgrade Projects | XT225+250 Rider's Group , you'll see how some people have modified their stock mufflers.

If you pull the end cap off, the spark arrestor will come out with it. Then look in to the back of the muffler with a flashlight, and you'll be able to see if the baffle has been drilled out, or has holes punched in it.

If this mod has been done, there is no way to repair it... but there are a few things you can do to mitigate the annoying droning noise it makes.

Someone had already punched holes in my baffle, so I drilled it the rest of the way out, just to see if it made any difference. It did not.

However, I got some fiberglass muffler packing, and wrapped it around the spark arrestor, and that calmed the noise down quite a bit!

My muffler also had the tail-pipe stub cut off, so I welded a new one on, a bit longer and curved downward behind the rider, and that helped even more.

It's still louder than stock, but much less irritating to the rider.

Even if your baffle has not been drilled, I think you'll notice a nice improvement if you wrap the spark arrestor, and extend/angle the tailpipe downward.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
See: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/18928-what-most-quiet-muffler-4.html
Post #39

And: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/61564-update-using-fiberglass-wrap-quiet-muffler.html

When I did the 2018, I used three 1/4 inch wide strips of masking tape to compress the fiberglass instead of wire....the theory being it would burn up after a while and the fiberglass would expand a little. Since I haven't yet replaced the fiberglass I don't know for sure that worked, but I do know for sure if you use too much or too wide tape the effect is not as good. In Ireland I would not worry much about being too rich, but it could happen.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The muffler endcaps are notoriously hard to remove. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m 0 for 3 on my bikes.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The muffler endcaps are notoriously hard to remove. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m 0 for 3 on my bikes.
Send the muffler to Admiral, he has just the right hammer for the job!

GaryL

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I'm not the first owner of this bike but the exhaust is stock. Trying to figure out if they are supposed to be this loud or if I have a problem. I don't mind a little noise but prefer as quiet as possible. I even wear ear plugs while riding but the noise level still bothers me. I've changed both gaskets on the exhaust but am still wondering if there might be a leak. I'm considering the home made second muffler add on. I've tried and failed to remove the screw holding the muffler end cap on - drill bit broken off inside bolt, may attempt again so i can try exhaust packing. I downloaded a free decibel reading app and according to what is stamped on the muffler it is correct. (Somewhere in the 80s i think)

Any suggestions or advice? My header pipe could use a new paint job so i may be taking it apart soon anyway.
I'm just wondering if the exhaust is fine and you're just not used to the sound and it sounds louder than anything else you've owned. With the cap screw being seized, you're gonna have to go "all in" as they say in the poker world but you'll find out if the innards are worn out. Good luck.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
A coupla things that might be of interest:

I've read several times about the minor sound/loudness benefits to a TW of attaching a 45 deg. copper elbow to the end of the muffler outlet.
Seems to me if 45 deg. is good, a 90 deg. elbow might be better...anyone try this? Results?

Once I was re-wrapping/stuffing fiberglass exhaust packing material into a pair of Dunstall silencers on a Norton 850 hot-rod. It was the preferred blanket type, not the chopped up type.
I was friends with Dave Rash, the owner of D&D Exhausts in Fort Worth. I called him and asked out how tight the packing should be. He said get as much material into the muffler as you can and pack tight-tight-tight. Band it with masking tape or stainless steel wire, for easier re-assembly.
He said that's the best you can do for long(er) packing life, best sound quality and best performance
So I did...and was very happy with the result.

But before that, being a cheap-ass, I first used new household insulation fiberglass bats salvaged from construction sites. It sounded OK but not great, and did not last very long.

Next, Dumb-Ass Dave tried course steel wool...a lot of it. "Steel packs" were common for dual car exhausts, "back in the day".
The sound was mellow and beautiful...perfect! But it compressed badly, broke up and blew out.
I was riding with a buddy. He was behind me and ripped up next to me, yelling that my bike was on fire! It was the damn steel wool burning in one of the muffs! It quickly stopped burning when I killed the engine, but not before it burned a large gold & blue spot on the muffler.
With God as my witness, I did not know steel wool would burn!

That's when I changed to the real deal exhaust-grade fiberglass packing, properly installed...and it was perfect & beautiful!
I never was able to completely buff all the discoloration from the muff. But at least I had a great story to tell when people asked about the faint blue spot! :eek:

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
A coupla things that might be of interest:

I've read several times about the minor sound/loudness benefits to a TW of attaching a 45 deg. copper elbow to the end of the muffler outlet.
Seems to me if 45 deg. is good, a 90 deg. elbow might be better...anyone try this? Results?
I did. I think mine was a 45 but can't remember for sure. It didn't seem to do anything one way or the other besides creating more dust behind me when the copper elbow was pointed directly down behind the TW. I moved it to deflect more to the side once I realized this. If there was any power increase because of this "mod" I think it was all in my head. TW didn't feel any more powerful or quiet or louder to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. End cap will be coming off once i have all of my packing supplies here. Ordered some packing material off ebay earlier today and will do the copper elbow as well. I also plan to buy some RTV gasket maker and apply at the joints as well just i case. As far as bikes previously owned (for sound comparison) I've owned HD Sportster 883-1200 with stock exhaust, HD Dyna with 2 different aftermarket exhausts, Kaw ZX10R with stock exhaust, KLR650 with stock exhaust, Vstrom1000 with stock exhaust. That being said I don't remember being this bothered by any exhaust.

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Fine (00 or finer) steel wool burns very well and coupled with a 9v battery makes an extremely good fire starter. Ignites instantly even when dripping wet. Simply breifly touch top ob battery to small chunk of steel wool. Battery's two terminals short through the steel wool, wool heats up like an incadescant filament and chain reaction takes off on adjacent strands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fine (00 or finer) steel wool burns very well and coupled with a 9v battery makes an extremely good fire starter. Ignites instantly even when dripping wet. Simply breifly touch top ob battery to small chunk of steel wool. Battery's two terminals short through the steel wool, wool heats up like an incadescant filament and chain reaction takes off on adjacent strands.
Interesting to know. I didn't go the steel wool route though. Ordered some relatively expensive packing that i had read about on ADVrider. Figured I might as well try the hopefully better material so I don't have to do it twice. Although price wasn't much different from a no name brand one off ebay but that has more do to with outrageous shipping costs from some UK sellers.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Jacob...
Pack them as tight as you can with as much material as you can!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Darry when I was a Boyscout we would do fire starting demos at the Bouyscout fair, one of the tenders we used was steel wool. Fred I forgot about the 9v battery trick, Cotton dust in the air explodes around a spark.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. End cap will be coming off once i have all of my packing supplies here. ....
When you put it back together, it's a good idea to use anti-seize compound on the muffler/spark arrestor joint and the bolt too. I wouldn't use RTV unless you plan on never taking it apart again. :eek:

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Darry when I was a Boyscout we would do fire starting demos at the Bouyscout fair, one of the tenders we used was steel wool. Fred I forgot about the 9v battery trick, Cotton dust in the air explodes around a spark.
Flour makes a pretty good Class B explosive too. Think modern fuel/air explosive, only organic.;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts