TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at changing out my stock bars for Pro Tapers (or Tusk Chubs Big Bars), but can't figure out which model is closest to stock.

I plan on using 1 1/8" style. Will use ROX risers to convert from 7/8" to 1 1/8". Don't want to extend any cables.

Tusk Chubs chart below.

Bend Width Height Pull Back
ATV High Bend 31.50" 4.75" 2.41"
CR High Bend 31.50" 3.75" 2.45"
KTM Bend 31.93" 3.62" 2.05"
Moto Bend 31.50" 3.90" 2.13"
YZ Bend 31.60" 3.50" 2.38"

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just my two cents-but you might consider deviating from the stock rise/pull back a bit to increase your enjoyment of the TW. Of course, this depends on your riding style too. Higher bars coupled with Rox Risers can really add to the riding pleasure of the TW for both on/off road adventures. I chose the Yamaha Raptor ATV bars (Renthal) which are a little taller and more swept back than those you have listed in ATV High Bend. The wider bars, taller set up, coupled with 2" risers makes it a pleasure to stand up and trail ride. Mind you-I'm no giant at 5'9" but do have a pretty big wing span. The stock set up felt too cramped for me and I'm happy with my set up now. No cable issues.

'

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Google "motorcycle handlebar ergonomics" and "Ricardo Kuhn"...tons of info!

Lots of factors enter in due to all the variations of bikes, bars, people, where & how you ride, handlebar "accessories", etc.
It's a little complicated but well worth the time & effort.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just finished installing pro taper bars today. No cable issues. I used Pastrana FMX model bars and pro taper universal 7/8" to 1 1/8" bar clamps. Feels AMAZING!!!!! I agree with Randy. In my experience, I have always enjoyed the handling of any off road bike the most when I've gone as high as I can go without needing to adjust or get longer cables. Less hunchback when standing up also. The Pastrana FMX is the tallest bar without going to ATV bars. The bar clamps I used are only about 3/4" of rise so I can't comment on what rox risers will be like. Those are 2" rise if I'm not mistaken?

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7511.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

TDubsKid on Youtube put the rox risers and Windham/rm Mid pro tapers on his TW. I believe he had to reroute some cables to make it work.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
If there is a minor cable length issue then the bars can also be trimmed narrower to provide a little more slack. Make bike a little easier to snake through tight woods too.;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry to hijack but do the 1-1/8" bars taper down enough to keep my 7/8" stuff? I'd like to keep the stock mirror clamps, throttle tube, and ideally keep the handguards that I already have. I'd also like a Slipstreamer windscreen but the only clamps that would match the bar/riser combos available are 7/8". One of the reasons for wanting to upgrade aside from higher bars is that I'd like to eliminate the crossbar so I can fit a RAM mount.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hijack but do the 1-1/8" bars taper down enough to keep my 7/8" stuff? I'd like to keep the stock mirror clamps, throttle tube, and ideally keep the handguards that I already have. I'd also like a Slipstreamer windscreen but the only clamps that would match the bar/riser combos available are 7/8". One of the reasons for wanting to upgrade aside from higher bars is that I'd like to eliminate the crossbar so I can fit a RAM mount.
Yes, all of the factory equipment fits. The 1 1/8" tapers down to 7/8". The hand guards will most likely need a new adapter to fit the 1 1/8". Mine did. Ram mount fits. Can't help you on the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yes, all of the factory equipment fits. The 1 1/8" tapers down to 7/8". The hand guards will most likely need a new adapter to fit the 1 1/8". Mine did. Ram mount fits. Can't help you on the windscreen.
Yeah the windscreen will take some trial and error. There's clamps in 7/8", 1", 1-1/4" and even 1.5". Might be able to bore the 1" ones out or figure out a spacer for the 1-1/4" ones. Not sure what brand handguards I've got but I'll figure out the adapter situation. Are you using a 7/8" RAM mount to the side or a 1-1/8" in the center?

To offer some help on the original post, there's some photos I've seen before of handlebar bends that should give you an idea of how to measure the OEM ones. Can't say I've tried it but I can understand wanting to know as a baseline before you change things. I don't really mind the ergonomics of the stock bars until I'm standing in very rough trail. I've got decent reach for average height, but a couple extra inches would be helpful. Not the first time I've had to say that :p

pro-taper-bar-chart.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the responses. I picked up a set of bars from Mel at Brian's Wrench and Ride. My unofficial measurements are the following:

30.25" width
5.00" height
3.0" reach
3.0" rise.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished installing pro taper bars today. No cable issues. I used Pastrana FMX model bars and pro taper universal 7/8" to 1 1/8" bar clamps. Feels AMAZING!!!!! I agree with Randy. In my experience, I have always enjoyed the handling of any off road bike the most when I've gone as high as I can go without needing to adjust or get longer cables. Less hunchback when standing up also. The Pastrana FMX is the tallest bar without going to ATV bars. The bar clamps I used are only about 3/4" of rise so I can't comment on what rox risers will be like. Those are 2" rise if I'm not mistaken?

View attachment 185338

View attachment 185340

View attachment 185342

TDubsKid on Youtube put the rox risers and Windham/rm Mid pro tapers on his TW. I believe he had to reroute some cables to make it work.

I bought these same bars and Pro Taper clamps but it doesn't look like these clamps will work due to the TW bar mount with its built in bolt holes. Did you run into any trouble?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You will really enjoy your bike
Alot more if youre riding with taller and wider bars. Its among the best mods you can do. My bars are at present 6 inches taller and it amazing to have a bike that really fita you and allows you to stand up.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts