TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to do a pretty popular local route that will take me up the back side of Mt. Lemmon, summit 9,157 feet. The FS road doesn't crest the very top, but pretty close.

Will I be OK with stock jetting and fuel mix, or should I plan on adjusting the carb along the trip?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You should be fine. You might have to adjust your idle mixture a little when you get up there. I rode a 98 tdub up to 13,100" and thats with the older carb which is more sensitive than the newer ones. It ran pretty good and started sputtering around 9,000-9,5000 feet but kept running over 13,000". If you are going to ride at 9,000 plus most of the time i might consider it but other than that i wouldnt mess with it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be fine. You might have to adjust your idle mixture a little when you get up there. I rode a 98 tdub up to 13,100" and thats with the older carb which is more sensitive than the newer ones. It ran pretty good and started sputtering around 9,000-9,5000 feet but kept running over 13,000". If you are going to ride at 9,000 plus most of the time i might consider it but other than that i wouldnt mess with it.

I've done this route in my 4x4 Suburban before, and 80% of the trip is between 2,500ft and 7,500ft in my estimation. The final crawl to the top is pretty steep!

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I was up past 8,000 near reno (hunter lake trail) the other weekend and noticed less power but idled fine and no problems.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Stock jet is good over 9000 feet. Even better if you drill a few 1.25cm holes in the air filter cover. I cover the holes with waterproof tape at lower altitudes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts