TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock number of links are for a stock combo 14/50 sprocket set up on a 2001 TW?

Trying to calculate how many links I need beyond standard, for my 55 and 3" stretch. looks like I need 17 links more than stock, but I don't know what stock was. (yep, recycled the chain w/o counting links)

Thanks Josh

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
122!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock number of links are for a stock combo 14/50 sprocket set up on a 2001 TW?

Trying to calculate how many links I need beyond standard, for my 55 and 3" stretch. looks like I need 17 links more than stock, but I don't know what stock was. (yep, recycled the chain w/o counting links)

Thanks Josh

http://tw200forum.com/forums/76358/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks srs713 and pgilles.

Josh

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, realize I have a new issue. I know the number of links I need, can I combine links from two seperate 428H chains. I have one that is 122 links and one that is 132 (both unused) need 137 links.

thanks

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Yes, as long as both chains are the same type.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ok, realize I have a new issue. I know the number of links I need, can I combine links from two seperate 428H chains. I have one that is 122 links and one that is 132 (both unused) need 137 links.

thanks

Yes, if you are willing to have two master links.

Some people will tell you that master links are the weak point of a chain, and you shouldn't have even one if you can manage that. I don't see it that way. I've heard of chains breaking in a lot of places other than the master. For my 2 cents, just make sure you get the clips on properly and keep the chain lubed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Will do. Other than throwing chain lube is there a problem with over lubing? It's not dripping off or anything, but I frequently lube way more often than reccomended.

Thanks

Yes, if you are willing to have two master links.

Some people will tell you that master links are the weak point of a chain, and you shouldn't have even one if you can manage that. I don't see it that way. I've heard of chains breaking in a lot of places other than the master. For my 2 cents, just make sure you get the clips on properly and keep the chain lubed.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
There is no such thing as overlubing a chain.

I take it you got your swingarm back. I'd like to hear your riding impression after your trip.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No swingarm yet. My buddy in Grass Valley was getting hammered with other work, so I had him box it up and mail it to colby in southern cal. Hoping to get it back, and put it together so I can take it to DV on the 27th.

Josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks. I'm about to lengthen mine but can't decide whether to stretch it only just enough to clear my ATV tire, or go the full monty. The only one I've personally ridden with who had the lengthened swingarm was Ronnydog, but his bike has a 70T sprocket and is pretty limited onroad. He can definitely outride me so even major handling changes don't deter him, so I ain't gunna trust his judgement
I'm wondering how yours works out in split usage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts