TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer is right on with the GPS with stock gearing. Surprised the hell out of me...thought it would be a bit optimistic.

Top speed of 66 mph. Slight headwind and slight downhill grade. Big ole grin on my face, as this thing makes me smile when I ride it.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
This is just my observation from my own experiments. There has been a great deal of debate on the accuracy of the speedo (other speedo's) and GPS. Some don't trust the TW speedo as being accurate and believe in the GPS speeds. To be on the safe side, I think everyone should check their speedo vs. time, and then verify this with the GPS one uses. I think its possible GPS's may read differently too.

I'm always messing around timing my vehicles at different speeds to check for the vehicles speedo accuracy. All of my vehicles speedo's read correctly (relatively so, meaning if they are off, it is so minut I can't tell) i.e. 1 mile, 60 seconds, 60mph and so forth for the other speeds.

So, with the GPS I have, it reads 2mph slower than what the vehicles speedo says. 60mph on vehicle speedo, 58 on GPS. This 2mph differential happens on every one of my vehicles (F250, Jeep Liberty, and the TW). So in my case, I trust my TW speedo at the various speeds.

Now for my own top speed...on my 1% ride I took a while back taking pictures of the Old Ft. Boise Cemetery, I had and held my TW with stock gearing at 60mph and had throttle to spare. So, I suppose I could have gone faster, but I'm no speed demon. I'm nearly 50 and have never had a speeding ticket! Not that I don't speed, the man just ain't caught me!

·
Registered
164 Posts
With a well worn front tire, my stock speedo was reading 40 when the gps said 39, and 65 when the GPS said 63.

With the new Maxxis 120/80 it's only 1 mph off of the above readings 40/38 & 65/62. Better accuracy than any other bike I've had!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Gearing has nothing to do with what a TW speedo reads since the speedo is driven of the front wheel. Speedo is dead on with the knobby front tire, a bit optimistic with the street tire.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gearing has nothing to do with what a TW speedo reads since the speedo is driven of the front wheel. Speedo is dead on with the knobby front tire, a bit optimistic with the street tire.

Yeah, that makes sense that gearing would not affect the speedometer reading. Didn't think of that.

It seems the XT225 group says their speedo's read high? Wonder why that is? I drove my brother-in-laws 05, but without the GPS. Took it up to an indicated 82 mph. He has no GPS, and is 300 miles away, so that test will have to happen next year.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Excessively high speedometers are very common with Japanese bikes. My V-strom read a lot high, some use an electronic 'speedo healer' to true them up, I used a custom made replacement faceplate.

My 1996 TW read considerably optimistic as well. When I first got it I was wondering why I was holding traffic up in town, and found my indicated 59 km/hr was closer to 50 on the GPS.

OTOH, my cars and trucks have always been pretty close to the GPS, usually read high by 1-2 km/hr. IIRC there is a gov't penalty if stock speedometers read low, so they set them high a tiny amount.

Top speed on the flat so far has been 112 km/hr (70 mph), but against the wind the other day I was lucky to make 80 km/hr (50 mph) and I had to tuck in to hold it! Pretty sure I'm going to go for that camshaft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My speedo on my '92 seems to read about 5mph high when compared to my GPS. Also with no tripmeter I use the GPS 24/7.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't even look at the stock speedo anymore since it goes off over 40mph. I have a TrailTech Vapor Tach-speedo that gives me an accurate reading at any speed and large LCD numbers to look at.

Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
My speedo don´t show enough. 100 km/h (62 mph) is about 105 km/h on the GPS. I have changed the speedo drive because of the brake disc conversion, maybe the ratio is a little different...(is it?) And Maxxis 6006 front tire is higher than stock too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts