TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the tw had any suspension changes at all since 1987? The reason i ask is because of the amount of complaints i hear about the tw200 suspension. My TW is a 2019, i weigh about 160 pounds and i do ride offroad, and not just well groomed easy dirt trails. I ride through rocks, through holes, over logs you name it. While the bike obviously doesnt have motorcross ohlins or fox suspension ive never had any problems with it. In comparison to the dr650 and klr250 my dad and best friend have, the tw suspension is kinda stiff. So whats the deal with all the complaints? Is it just heavier riders that have a problem or just people with worn out suspension??

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
There are three versions of TW rear shocks that I am aware of:

1) 1987 - 2000 - These shocks have a white spring and marginal welds between the body of the shock and the end mounts. Fractures of these welds have been reported and these shocks were recalled by Yamaha in Canada for this problem.

2) 2001 - Sometime around 2017 (I think) - These shocks have a yellow spring and beefier welds.

3) 2017 (I think) - Present - These shocks have a black spring and that's all that I know about them.

I have not heard whether any of these three versions are significantly better or worse than the others, except for the weld issue.

Brian

·
Registered
304 Posts
FWIW, my Canadian market 2015 model has a black spring. Build date 01/15.

Procycle has this on their website:
  • Stock Spring Rate '87-'16: 12kg/mm
  • Stock Spring Rate '17-Cur: 15kg/mm
So not sure if color has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Two points on this; 1. The TW is a trail bike and performance expectations should be as such.
2. Yes, I think most of the complaints are weight related. I'm a round boy and the stock suspension is fine for what it is under most trail conditions. However, once I strapped 50 pounds of camping gear and hit some rougher terrain it really wasn't up to the task. I just got my spring combo dialed in so I can charge pretty much anything now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that makes sense. They probably tuned the suspension for small japanese farmers haha

·
Registered
504 Posts
For me it wasn't a complaint, there just isn't much travel/adjustability and on the stock setup one standard American rider doesn't have to load it up with too much stuff to have it sack out and start mashing the bumpstop on the regular...

I changed out to both accommodate all of the mass I have cultivated over the years, and to get a better quality ride out of the TW, which was accomplished.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me it wasn't a complaint, there just isn't much travel/adjustability and on the stock setup one standard American rider doesn't have to load it up with too much stuff to have it sack out and start mashing the bumpstop on the regular...

I changed out to both accommodate all of the mass I have cultivated over the years, and to get a better quality ride out of the TW, which was accomplished.
Hey did you put a banshee shock on your bike? I feel like remember reading about that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The suspension is as basic as it gets - nothing fancy or special about it - therefore it works for what it is if you're going slow over easy terrain. The dampening just isn't there in any speed much over 5-10mph when traversing any real bumps, ruts, logs, rocks, etc. I ride conservatively, but faster than low & slow......and I say the "F" word lot from getting beat up over anything other than small rocks & twigs, etc. :D

I don't think younger riders notice it as much as us older riders. And, after ridden bikes with really good suspension.....I'm spoiled!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey did you put a banshee shock on your bike? I feel like remember reading about that.
Lol, yes I struggled as I learned about suspension components, took that thing in and out about 1000 times, got the correct bump stops, only to find out the shock was pretty much out of oil and nitrogen, at that point my friend thought I'd struggled/learned enough and found a company that would build one for cheaper than what it would have totaled getting the banshee bought, fixed, and altered for use.

You could tell the ride would have been very Cadillacish had I gotten the shock up to par.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, yes I struggled as I learned about suspension components, took that thing in and out about 1000 times, got the correct bump stops, only to find out the shock was pretty much out of oil and nitrogen, at that point my friend thought I'd struggled/learned enough and found a company that would build one for cheaper than what it would have totaled getting the banshee bought, fixed, and altered for use.

You could tell the ride would have been very Cadillacish had I gotten the shock up to par.
So does yours sit way up high now? If so could put a pic of it from the side showing how tall it is? Im just curious how a brand new tw would look sittin way up high.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looks pretty good but more importantly where did you get black plastics?? Thats awesome i would love to have an all black tw
I just went through the TW200 By-Year picture thread on here, found the years they had black back and front fenders and ordered them on partzilla. Took a while to get them both, worth the wait.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts