TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here can answer a question about tire wear, mainly the front. I have stock TW tires on my 06, and the front tire (knobbies) are wearing uneven.

Lets see if I can clearly word this. As the tire spins, the front part of the knobs that touch the pavement first, are showing less wear then the last part, or the back of the knobs. I hope that made sense!

Can anyone explain why a tire wears like this on the front? All of my riding is on pavement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I think it is from braking -- as you brake it causes the knobs to bend and they wear unevenly -- on the back tire it is counter balanced by acceleration so the wear is even.

Try increasing you tire pressure and braking harder with the back tire and lighter with the front.

And if the spirits move you, you can take the front tire off and put it on rotating the other way. That will extend the life a little.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing, braking anyways. I do try to use engine braking by down shifting as much as I can, but sometimes you just gotta get on the brakes to stop for a light that just changed on ya.

Thanks elime!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If you replace the tire consider going with something that has a non-directional tread such as the SR241, SR244 or the like. They can be reversed on the rim a number of times when they begin to backslope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts