TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to the TAT facebook page. Had been following a couple guys that started a few days ago. Both their bikes got stolen last night in Batesville, MS. A KTM 690 and a DR650. Anyone in the area keep an eye out.

Reactions: jeffrolives

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some people just need to be taken out to the back forty and shot! :rolleyes:

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bogus! Nothing like being a "have" in the land of "have nots". Did they lose gear an all? Does this happen frequently?
With the upsurge in Dualsports I guess it's inevitable. Used to be as long as you didn't travel
on a Harley you were reasonably safe. Thieves are messed up.

Reactions: mudbug

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was at a Hotel so they had a bunch of their stuff inside. But still, it put an abrupt end to their adventure.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Neat idea, but it seems a thief could just take the batteries out?
Not without setting it off. So long as it is armed any movement will trigger the alarm. I would place it out of sight so that the potential crooks set it off before realizing that it is even present. They will not stick around long enough to find it then try to defeat it. In plain sight it gives them time to decide if they should try it or not. It is invaluable as a last resort and takes up no room in your gear.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I use a Gorilla Alarm, for around a hundred bucks. (which is a real screamer) A Bully Alarm (which has remote pager) and a Heavy Duty Chain and Lock Set. And if that doesn't work, you're about to see a fat boy run after you, faster than you would ever believe he could move. :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I use a Gorilla Alarm, for around a hundred bucks. (which is a real screamer) A Bully Alarm (which has remote pager) and a Heavy Duty Chain and Lock Set. And if that doesn't work, you're about to see a fat boy run after you, faster than you would ever believe he could move. :D
Damn LT, we need to start a campaign to get you moved into a nicer area!!!!:D I have a nice camper out back you are welcome to use. You may need that Gorilla alarm for your refrigerator though as the local raccoon's are quite resourceful.;)

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Around here you have to chain down anything you want to keep. I keep "little tyke" chained to my porch swing with the Gorilla Alarm. It's a horrible neighborhood here. There are 3 drug houses with "bloods" sporting "colors" within a block. I could sit in my back yard, throw a rock and hit 2 of them right now. I usually keep them in one of my riding buddy's garage across the alley from me. I can see the garage easily. Only problem with these little bikes is that a couple big ol guys like me, could heft it into the back of a pick up truck in about 20 seconds and be gone, alarm screaming or not. (if it's not chained to something too)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Last I heard the "popular" method of Harley snatching was four big guys and roller wheel
pallets, negating any sort of wheel lock. Four big guys would have the bike gone before you could even get out
to check your alarm.......and what you gonna if faced with four big guys? With a TW it would only take two guys.
The best solution would be to avoid areas where it could happen......
So yeah stay out of populated areas, camp out in the woods etc. The reality is that if the buggers want your bike they will get it.
Does kinda make the South to North Backcountry Discoverey Route sound better than the TAT being that the BDR is in less populated areas.
Lotta truth in the TW being "undesirable" to thieves! Yet another reason the TW is the ultimate adventure bike.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah those alarms are expensive, and they are only good to alert you its being stolen :) But..........at least you could get a plate number or vehicle description or something. Im pretty damm cheap, I have a few old smoke alarms sitting in a dusty corner of the basement. Disabled the smoke detection part of it, jumpered to the TW battery..........boom.........pretty damm loud. :) Ill stop by the Radio Shack thats closing down near by and see if they have a tilt switch. Shouldnt be more than a few bucks.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
369 Posts
The lock you sighted is very good but also pretty pricey. No doubt a fine product and I would not mind having one for long trips but the better models will run nearly $100. Worth the money if you are in shady areas.

Tom
yeah, I was pretty surprised when I saw how much they were going for. It looks and feels like a quality product, super heavy and solid. the one we have is plain silver w/o an alarm. It was nice to have on the camping trip, though. small enough to carry without too much trouble.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Last I heard the "popular" method of Harley snatching was four big guys and roller wheel
pallets, negating any sort of wheel lock. Four big guys would have the bike gone before you could even get out
to check your alarm.......and what you gonna if faced with four big guys? With a TW it would only take two guys.
The best solution would be to avoid areas where it could happen......
So yeah stay out of populated areas, camp out in the woods etc. The reality is that if the buggers want your bike they will get it.
Does kinda make the South to North Backcountry Discoverey Route sound better than the TAT being that the BDR is in less populated areas.
Lotta truth in the TW being "undesirable" to thieves! Yet another reason the TW is the ultimate adventure bike.
4 big guy's huh? Well that would leave me with no bullets left in my gun........ after I give each guy 4 of their own. Wouldn't relish the idea, but wouldn't hesitate either. I would NEVER consider changing my plans or lifestyle because of human filth.

Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have an ABUS disc lock alarm that is medium loud and easy to trigger the alarm. It's difficult to hold it still while using the key to unlock and disable the alarm. My main gripe is that the lock is bulky and heavy. But still a good option. And ABUS even makes duplicate keys as i lost my spare key and ABUS had another made and shipped to me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts