TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting that time of the year again. So how has everyone been dealing with the ever increasing BS that is magnetic sensor Traffic Lights? Around my area they are putting more IR camera lights in but I still run into the normal "Been sitting here for 10 min and 4 light cycles! Its to time to run the light!". Anyone sporting those magnets that you place under your frame for the sensors to have their magnetic fields disturbed enough to trip it? Been eye balling them up since I have been riding. Was hoping the tech was a little more refined since I last looked into it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought one and put it on a sport motorcycle back in 2003 and the best solution was A. run the light B. Wait for a car/truck. I mounted it on the subframe so that might not have been low enough, but I was done with it and not willing to try a lower mount, it is now floating around the garage some where. Not sure how the light system works but a tiny earth magnet from a hobby store had tons more magnet stick than the so called stoplight magnet I bought.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought one and put it on a sport motorcycle back in 2003 and the best solution was A. run the light B. Wait for a car/truck. I mounted it on the subframe so that might not have been low enough, but I was done with it and not willing to try a lower mount, it is now floating around the garage some where. Not sure how the light system works but a tiny earth magnet from a hobby store had tons more magnet stick than the so called stoplight magnet I bought.
Yeah that's what I do too. If I do get a car behind me on a known issue light, I will get my back tire almost past the white line and wave the car up behind me. Love it when the are courteous to give me space but man its only when I don't want them too.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The key with the magnetic switches is that you want the most metal above the wire, not inside the box or circle. When you can see where the wire was cut in and tarred over, you should have few problems. If a square, put your bike right on top of either the left or right edge of the box. If a circle, I usually stop about a foot in from the edges. If they are paved over and you can't see them, well once you master the ones you can see, you can tell where they likely are. It'll roughly be where a car's tires would be. If you put your bike in the middle of the lane, you'll have a hard time tripping them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Those who ride in Washington State will soon not have to worry about this any more. They will be able to run red lights

Washington motorcyclists will be allowed to run red lights under certain conditions | OregonLive.com

"The motorcycle community’s longstanding wish for a solution was granted on March 31 when Gov. Jay Inslee signed Senate Bill 5141, giving motorcyclists the option of running red lights that rely on ineffective vehicle detection devices.
When motorcyclists encounter devices that fail to notice their presence, they will be allowed to proceed through the light with “due caution” after one complete cycle."

It's so great to see a state attempt to address this issue.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Thanks OWT!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Notify the department responsible for the light. Most will be happy to work with you to solve the problem because it is a liability issue.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Minnesota has the rule where you can roll when it won't change, and it is safe to go.

The sensors in the road are a capacitive type. A large amount of metal changes the capacitance, but magnets do not. The best you can hope for is when you stop over the left or right side of the sensor wire loop.

I agree with Qwerty, report the ones that don't work, as a hazard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts