TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

stop lights

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dark Sol 
#1 ·
Hi ya'll, I have a problem. My town is upgrading a lot of intersections, and the new stoplight sensors don't seem to pick up the little TW. does anyone have any ideas on how to be seen by the lights so they change? Its the little round rings in the ground, I think they're magnetic sensors, would it help to hang magnets below the frame? Thanks guys

#3 ·
Actually, the sensors are inductive, not magnetic. Adding metallic mass makes the difference, not the magnetism of the added mass. Best solution is to harrass the streets department. A "smart" traffic controlled device that isn't is considered malfunctioning by the federal highway safety folks, and can earn the city hordes of fines, especially if the "malfunctioning" light is on a U. S. highway. Usually the director of the city's streets department is responsible, and will welcome your notification. Don't be surprised if said director requests your assistance in setting the detector sensitivity. Perhaps someone wishing to develop their google-fu can post up the details.

#5 ·
Tricks you can try:

Lower the foot of your kickstand right on the wire groove.

Ride right down the wire groove.

Zig-zag as you ride down the wire groove.

Stop on the corner of the wire groove.

Stop on the corner where the wire groove enters and leaves the lane.

Say, "&$^*($%&*(^$#%&^!!!!"

Prayer.

#7 ·
I remember reading when I got my class M temps that if a light is red for 45 seconds for a motorcycle, and there is no traffic, that you can legally pull away from the red light....this is in Wisconsin however!

#9 ·
Here is what the Minnesota law says on the subject. It seems like you pretty much have to consult with a lawyer before going through a stuck light.

"Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.

(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(b ) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action."

#11 ·
they just recently made it here in VA that bikes can run red lights after a few cycles. If we're allowed to now I would imagine most places are, cause here seems to be one of the more stricter places to be.

I don't even bother waiting, I just check to make sure there is nobody around to bust me, double check for other bikes at other red lights (incase they happen to be running a red too) wait for the clear and go. I figure if they don't see or catch me on camera pulling up to the light, they can't know if I was waiting the appropriate time or not, so I can't in trouble. Ran maybe 10 lights so far no problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.