TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[h=2]Sop right now.[/h]
It seems weekly we read a new posting that usually starts with" I bought a TW that sat for xx years and it won't start" .
What follows usually is a long list of advice suggesting everything from change the spark plugs to increase the tire pressure!
Eventually, someone will risk suggest cleaning the carb.
Can we all agree, clean the carb should come first?
Please!!!​

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Personally, I'd change the gas as the "1st" thing.
"Pluck the low-hanging fruit"!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I wouldn't assume anything if it had been sitting a long time. I would just start with the gas tank and work down all the way into the carb. There could be so much crud and rust in the tank anyway; and it's nearly always like that in these cases, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Sop right now.

It seems weekly we read a new posting that usually starts with" I bought a TW that sat for xx years and it won't start" .
What follows usually is a long list of advice suggesting everything from change the spark plugs to increase the tire pressure!
Eventually, someone will risk suggest cleaning the carb.
Can we all agree, clean the carb should come first?
Please!!!​
My post that is a sticky here, Bringing back a sitting bike, goes through most of the common issues but it begins with where the junk fuel called E-10 or Ethanol laced gas goes into the tank. There will be rust and gunk in any tank that has been sitting and trying to even start the bike before it is dumped, cleaned and inspected does nothing more than run garbage through the entire fuel delivery system. I have an old plastic gas tank from a chain saw that I can easily hook up to a TW carb and run it with clean, fresh fuel.

GaryL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts