TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been posted before, AND i stole the idea off another website almost a year ago(that i dont remember so i cant take credit). just got around to it today and liked it enough to share. Know its not a huge about of fuel, but thinking that if I was outback on a trail someplace and i had to switch to reserve, id sure like an extra 1/4 gallon of fuel to make is someplace than pushing wishing I had just a tad more.

MSR 30oz / 1 liter backpack camp fuel bottle

Tight fit into Storage tube. there is NO wiggle room at all (maybe at top but not along sides.)

seems custom fit as if made for this

put on cap and read to go

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Retro, See sticky #2 in this section of the forum. This seems a good time to suggest to empty that liter of fuel in the tank as soon as you have the space, rather than waiting until you are on reserve. Its far safer to carry in the main tank than in an aluminum bottle attached to the back of the bike, even if protected by a plastic tube. Caps vibrate loose and leak, sand vibrates against soft metals and cause punctures, heating gas in a small container without adequate airspace can cause pressure buildups etc. etc. etc. We all carry extra gas once in awhile, but the watch word is dump it into the tank as soon as possible where its safest to carry it. Just a safety perspective. Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
... suggest to empty that liter of fuel in the tank as soon as you have the space, ... Tom

Echo Tom's recommendation above!! Plus, it looks like you are using R-clamps to secure the 'Famous tube' to the bike. I have found that even aviation grade R-clamps break very quickly when exposed to hard, off road riding. I've broken 4 so far in the last year. So check them often to be sure they aren't developing cracks. John

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Echo Tom's recommendation above!! Plus, it looks like you are using R-clamps to secure the 'Famous tube' to the bike. I have found that even aviation grade R-clamps break very quickly when exposed to hard, off road riding. I've broken 4 so far in the last year. So check them often to be sure they aren't developing cracks. John

Orginally this was to carry a light first aid kit so I wasnt worried about weight that much. Now that plans might changed, im going back and looking at building a bracket or stronger mount instead of it just hanging. Thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I concur with the comments above. I carry two MS canisters. Both times the cap has come off the storage tube and I lost my canister. Luckily each time someone was behind me and saw the canisters on the trail AND the tube cap. I am thinking of attaching some sort of lock system, but I haven't found anything yet.

Another member has this great looking concept too.

3" Quick Fists - these are transportation grade rubber clamps that were originally designed to hold fire hose nozzles to the side of a fire truck. I bought mine on ebay. They hold a 1 liter fuel bottle very securely. I mounted the Quick Fists to pieces of flat aluminum stock 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick by 5" long. These were then mounted to the forks using the lower triple clamp bolts. This mounting provides clearance for the turn signals and also for the gas tank during full lock turns. See pics below:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I concur with the comments above. I carry two MS canisters. Both times the cap has come off the storage tube and I lost my canister. Luckily each time someone was behind me and saw the canisters on the trail AND the tube cap. I am thinking of attaching some sort of lock system, but I haven't found anything yet.

Another member has this great looking concept too.

3" Quick Fists - these are transportation grade rubber clamps that were originally designed to hold fire hose nozzles to the side of a fire truck. I bought mine on ebay. They hold a 1 liter fuel bottle very securely. I mounted the Quick Fists to pieces of flat aluminum stock 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick by 5" long. These were then mounted to the forks using the lower triple clamp bolts. This mounting provides clearance for the turn signals and also for the gas tank during full lock turns. See pics below:

And he lights them all off for an extra few MPG's!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Don't you ever bottom out the rear end? Will the tire clear if you do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts