TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I was riding I heard a strange chirp noise, much like a bird. Since I live in Puerto Rico that noise isn't uncommon. I rode more and the noise became more frequent and longer durations. The bike seemed to be running fine. Then all of the sudden the noise started and the bike didn't seize but felt like the front brake was applied really hard. That lasted only about 4 to 5 scones. I pulled over started it back up and the engine didn't sound normal, slight banging noise, but still running. Since my location required me to ride it home, about 10 miles the engine noise got louder and louder and the chirping more frequent, but still running. It has lost a lot of power, something internally definitely gone bad. Any ideas before I take it into the shop, (which are hard to find good ones her).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I wouldn't start it again until you've resolved the issue. The first thing I'd check is that it's getting oil. This sounds like when I was sold the wrong filter. Common problem. If so put a couple drops of 2 stroke oil through the spark plug hole, drain oil, replace filter and new oil, and let it sit overnight. This worked in my situation and may for you but wait to confirm with others more experienced.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
There is cause...then there is effect.
As TWpr413 surmises something internally is amiss and it isn't a little bird chirping.
Chirping could be dry cam bushing screeching, Valve stems sticking in guides, piston against cylinder, etc...
I would first remove spark plug and slowly turn engine over by hand and listen carefully for when and where bad sounds occur. Maybe the little bird will chirp on every, or every other revolution. Every other revolution would make me think valve train, every revolution could be piston/ cylinder/ lower end bearing, etc. Constant chirping gearbox, no chirping unless in gear then final drive. Does a little oil in the spark plug hole lube the piston and make chirping dissapear?
If you have mechanical skills and access to a compression tester then checking compression might help diagnose issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the cam chain got too loose (= chirping noise), jumped a tooth (= sudden loss of power) causing the valve timing to be out of spec (= hard starting). Do you have the automatic or older manual cam chain tensioner and how many miles on the engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts