TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a curious fact these days that I would like to comment on in case someone similar has happened to you:

Sometimes my bike has a hard time starting when hot (I think it's a combination of the mixture being a bit lean and the battery having already lived better times), on one of those occasions and with the bike quite warm after a trip I decided to start it throwing me down a descent but it turns out that when I release the clutch the bike seemed as if it was in neutral until it almost stops when I notice how the clutch engages. This only happens when the bike is hot so it seems that it could be a problem with the clutch but in driving at any time I notice that the clutch slips so it catches my attention.

Any similar experience?

·
Registered
2021 TW
642 Posts
How many miles or kilometers do you think are on the clutch of your 125? Are you seeing any clutch material in the oil or filter? I have no idea how long the clutches last in these engines or if the 125 uses the same clutch as the 200 and 225.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike has 18000 Km (~ 11184 miles), I don't know if the clutch has ever been changed, possibly the original one.

The cable and spring are fine (in fact the spring was recently replaced). Next time it happens to me I will check that the push lever assy doesn't move.

I will have to disassemble the clutch and see what happens and if it is necessary to replace it but it works fine and I don't notice any slippage in any gear that's why I'm surprised by this behavior.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I disassembled the clutch that some more work than expected:

Wood Font Electric blue Tool Rectangle

I checked the discs and springs and they are within the specs that Yamaha the service manual indicates, so I don't know what it is due to at this point.

Tableware Automotive tire Food Ingredient Wood

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Heck it's already apart .
Toss a Barnett Kevlar clutch and heavy duty springs in there ....
It always feels good to make a great little bike a little bit better. .....
Is it necessary no .....
Is it a good upgrade hell ya ....
No parts are too good for our beloved T-dubs
mike from NC

Reactions: Snow Fox and Ken

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read about that clutch kit, it is not common in my country but when I change the clutch it will be one of the options since I don't want to mount the originals, but for the moment they have little wear so I will take advantage of them.

The problem I think it has to be somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yamaha clutch plates are some of the best !
They held up better then anything else in my drag bike ....
I do highly recommend a set of high pressure springs ....
Cheap great upgrade .,
mike from NC

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While assembling the clutch I noticed that when tightening the four screws that hold the springs at 6 Nm practically no resistance until almost the end, expect something more gradual, which makes me see that the springs are weak.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but shouldn't this alignment be done with the push lever position free of tension, i.e. without the spring acting?

Font Circle Parallel Line art Auto part

The idea is that the clutch starts to work from the (b) mark on the crankase , I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts