TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2005 tw with 800 miles on it. Ran great until I got it home then would not start. Went up in elevation 2000 ft, not sure if that's part of the issue. Eventually got it started but never ran smooth after that.

The problems- very slow throttle response, I can open the throttle all the way and it take 4-5 seconds to catch up. If I let it idle it's not smooths it goes up and down in rpms. During riding it acts like it's missing and not running smooth. If I turn the fuel petcock too off it runs very strong until it runs out of gas. Spark plug is black and sooty. It always seems to start great when cold no choke, but after it warms up and I turn it off it has a hard time restarting, takes multiple tries.

What I've done- cleaned the carb put a new needle valve assembly in because the old o ring was rotten. adjusted the float to 11mm. Set the pilot screw to 2-1/2 turns. The carb looked good other than that. I did notice the pilot jet hole was way tinny. Put a fuel filter in. New spark plug and check that it was getting regular spark. Adjusted the valves to factory specs. Cleaned the air filter (I took off the filter and started it to see if the airflow was restricted, when I put the filter back on while it was running it killed the engine) no mice nests or plugged airway.

I'm out of ideas, still wondering if it's the carb or what to check on the electrical system.

Thanks for helping this is my first ever bike and I'm anxious to use it :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2005 tw with 800 miles on it. Ran great until I got it home then would not start. Went up in elevation 2000 ft, not sure if that's part of the issue. Eventually got it started but never ran smooth after that.

The problems- very slow throttle response, I can open the throttle all the way and it take 4-5 seconds to catch up. If I let it idle it's not smooths it goes up and down in rpms. During riding it acts like it's missing and not running smooth. If I turn the fuel petcock too off it runs very strong until it runs out of gas. Spark plug is black and sooty. It always seems to start great when cold no choke, but after it warms up and I turn it off it has a hard time restarting, takes multiple tries.

What I've done- cleaned the carb put a new needle valve assembly in because the old o ring was rotten. adjusted the float to 11mm. Set the pilot screw to 2-1/2 turns. The carb looked good other than that. I did notice the pilot jet hole was way tinny. Put a fuel filter in. New spark plug and check that it was getting regular spark. Adjusted the valves to factory specs. Cleaned the air filter (I took off the filter and started it to see if the airflow was restricted, when I put the filter back on while it was running it killed the engine) no mice nests or plugged airway.

I'm out of ideas, still wondering if it's the carb or what to check on the electrical system.

Thanks for helping this is my first ever bike and I'm anxious to use it :)
Your bike runs too rich ??

Whats the main jet you are using?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Blast out the carb with cleaner and add some Seafoam to your gas (should be fresh also). Run it like that for a while to let the seafoam do it's thing.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
There is no way to know how long the fuel has been sitting around in your tank. I don't mean the fresh fuel you probably put in it but the nasty old stale crap over the last nine years.

I recommend tank removal, dump the entire contents out through the petcock after you remove it and in to a white bucket. Show us what you find! Every one I told to do this who did it found all sorts of crud, crap and rust particles in the tank. Clean it, flush it and then clean it again. What comes out of the tank is also in your carb, clean it, all of it! When you put it back on the bike make absolutely sure both boot connections are tight and sealed.

GaryL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blast out the carb with cleaner and add some Seafoam to your gas (should be fresh also). Run it like that for a while to let the seafoam do it's thing.
This was the first thing I did, ran the tank about dry. Put in fresh gas and a double dose of seafoam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no way to know how long the fuel has been sitting around in your tank. I don't mean the fresh fuel you probably put in it but the nasty old stale crap over the last nine years.

I recommend tank removal, dump the entire contents out through the petcock after you remove it and in to a white bucket. Show us what you find! Every one I told to do this who did it found all sorts of crud, crap and rust particles in the tank. Clean it, flush it and then clean it again. What comes out of the tank is also in your carb, clean it, all of it! When you put it back on the bike make absolutely sure both boot connections are tight and sealed.

GaryL
Great suggestion.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ditto, GaryL. Clean, clean, clean that tank. Flush out of petcock hole (petcock assembly removed). I bet you find the in-tank filter screens on the petcock plugged or broken.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Everybody who says to clean the fuel system is correct. That is a good place to start. That being said, when you mentioned that you serviced the air filter and when you installed it the engine died, that should never happen. A friend of mine who had been riding for years came by my house and said that his big street bike would barely run. He had just serviced the air cleaner. I pulled out his air cleaner and it was saturated with oil. I cleaned the filter thoroughly and re-oiled it VERY LIGHTly. It ran fine after that. A little too much oil on the filter will act like you left the choke on.

If that is not the problem, I'd look at the pilot valve. As you said, it is very tiny. It is also made in such a way that you can not just look through it to see if it is clean. At least that is the case with mine. If it has been sitting for a long time it can build up some very hard varnish inside. It takes a very tiny wire to push through, or it needs to be put in an electronic parts cleaner. A good pro mechanic should be able to assure that is really clean and open. Failing that, I'd just install a new pilot jet. Seafoam is your friend.

·
Registered
913 Posts
littletommy is correct, but he left out a step: 1) Lucas; 2) Seafoam; 3) New Carburetor. But, you can hope not. I haven't had to got to Step 3, yet, myself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could try leaning out your carb. Install one size smaller pilot jet and main jet. Start over with a new spark plug. See if it gets better. Going up in elevation without rejetting will cause a rich condition and that could be why your plug is black and sooty.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
This would be a mistake and just waste of time and money. The carb was fine at one time with the present jets and settings. It needs to be cleaned, plain and simple.

\\
Could try leaning out your carb. Install one size smaller pilot jet and main jet. Start over with a new spark plug. See if it gets better. Going up in elevation without rejetting will cause a rich condition and that could be why your plug is black and sooty.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I opt for working with what I have, before spending money, to solve a problem. I'll spend the money, but if prudent maintenance and elbow grease fixes a problem, I still have my money.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
The only time to ever mess with jetting is when you are working on a known good functioning carb.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,590 Posts
Midog's bike is running rich from all indications. That the condition changes with air filter removal indicates filter is "choking" and adding too, if not causing, the too rich air/fuel mixture. Possibly previous owner did something to seal up pores in the filter like using a solvent that softened foam material. I would re clean filter and prior to oiling filter use mouth to blow through filter and/or hold up to light to confirm can see light through filter medium.
Once confident that restrictive air filter is not cause nor contributor to rich condition would I then begin to " fiddle" with any carburetor settings. An altitude increase of 2000 ft is not very significant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thinking I might just buy a new carb. I thought it was clean and done right? It does seam to run rich. Before I open the wallet does any of this sound like it could be an electrical problem?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts