TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for short:
I push the start switch for 2 - 3 seconds, like anyone who starts a bike 'normal': no go.
I push the start switch several time only half a second and then i can get the TW running.

Strange ... :huh:

Been reading this forum and ended at page 20 in the technical section. Seems like seafoam is the way to go. Have never seen it in Belgium. My TW has been sitting in a garage for 14 month.

Things i will do:
Search for seafoam or another carb cleaning something.
Install a new battery.

Already did an oil change, fresh oil, new oil filter, new spark plug, cleaned the air filter, ... :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Hello guzzio.
Odd starting issue. However I think my bike did something similar for some time, preferred to start with just a very brief engagement of the starter motor, or with a quick kick to the kick starter. Was inexplicable but never a real problem; eventually went away.
During the 2 - 3 second starting attempt does the starter motor seem to slow down at all? This could be a hint that battery is failing.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
TW's always start like that for me just a little blip of the elec start button any longer just drains the battery

I figure the bikes are used to being kick started thats their original design so I use my start button similar to a kicker

On my old BW200's they often just won't start well using elec start but if i use the kicker they fire right up

I'm sure it could be partly a dirty pilot jet as many TW issues are but even a freshly cleaned carb still likes quick bumps and no long cranking

·
Registered
803 Posts
Measure battery volts as you crank it over. My guess is the voltage drops to below 11 volts and when letting up on a short stab at the starter, it doesn't sag as much and bounces back right at the firing position.
Try attaching a robust charger to your battery and then crank again. I suspect it will start quicker. I now use a lithium ion battery, the largest that would fit in the stock battery holder. Alll hard starting went away.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
On the issue of no "sea foam" in Europe, I'd consider a good injector cleaner. You have lots of fuel injection cars and diesels, so they must sell some additive for injector cleaner function. In fact that's what I used here even tho seafoam was available.

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
We use "Redex" - injector and carb cleaner - I dose my bikes up for the first few tank fulls every season .....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Measure battery volts as you crank it over. My guess is the voltage drops to below 11 volts and when letting up on a short stab at the starter, it doesn't sag as much and bounces back right at the firing position.
Try attaching a robust charger to your battery and then crank again. I suspect it will start quicker. I now use a lithium ion battery, the largest that would fit in the stock battery holder. Alll hard starting went away.
What battery is that?

·
Registered
803 Posts
What battery is that?
Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
It's not rated for the TW200, a smaller one is. But this will fit in the TW200's battery compartment. It is tight as I recall though, so don't panic if you get one, just know I got one to fit and it works great, lots of power @ a 240cca rating.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
It's not rated for the TW200, a smaller one is. But this will fit in the TW200's battery compartment. It is tight as I recall though, so don't panic if you get one, just know I got one to fit and it works great, lots of power @ a 240cca rating.
I always wanted to find a larger Shorai battery that would fit the entire TW battery compartment but there larger ones are way too wide like by 1" or more

I'll have to look at the Del-Tran those have worked well for me

something like this 300CCA might work

Smart BMS Lithium Battery, 12V 5.0AH, 300CCA

5.3 x 3 x 5.5 inches

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some carb cleaner in the petrol tank. Needs a good ride and i am curious if i will notice any difference. To be continued.

And a fresh new battery is waiting to installed. The new battery is connected to an optimate charger for the moment, so it's fully charged when installing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've had problems with my 99 TW. Some times a no crank and sometimes cranks like crazy but I suspect no spark. Some times a quick blip of the start button will work and almost always a kick will get it going. I wish it would totally fail or at least do it long enough that I could diagnose it.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
My TWs start much quicker with Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries. They do not exhibit the appreciable voltage drops under load like lead-acid based conventional batteries usually do. As such they seem to spin the starter motor quicker, and sustain that higher speed longer than an OEM recommended battery.
So, is a $100+ lithium battery 4 times better than a discount $25 Chinese AGM or wet cell? I think so. If not abused the lithium may well deliver 2 or 3 times the service life. If your bike has a chronic starting problem the lithium battery might alleviate that and thus seem well worth the greater cost. If your TW does not have a kick starter then the lithium battery's extended cranking time may well save your bacon after a flooded stream crossing in the back of beyond sometime. Peace of mind has value in my opinion.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So for short:
I push the start switch for 2 - 3 seconds, like anyone who starts a bike 'normal': no go.
I push the start switch several time only half a second and then i can get the TW running.

Strange ... :huh:

Hello,
Try without the side stand, it is known problem on the TW125 ...
Engine start, motorcycle on the crutch we have 2 to 3 sparks no more ...
The mounting of a Kick is possible on the 125 ...
Photo TW157 Christddel (3).jpg
The battery choose a battery type "Gel" where Lithium ... Smaller and light
ABCD0008.JPG
Good road

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've had problems with my 99 TW. Some times a no crank and sometimes cranks like crazy but I suspect no spark. Some times a quick blip of the start button will work and almost always a kick will get it going. I wish it would totally fail or at least do it long enough that I could diagnose it.
I think the no spark scenario is exactly correct Peter, I think TW's tend to be under-batteried (new word lol) and when cranking we get one initial spark and then none while cranking. All the amoerage is gong into turning the starter and not enough is left over to saturate the coil.

Once started the alternator generates enough voltage for continuous firing this may also be why a good swift kick start motion starts them better because the alt is kicking in to aid spark

Fred is also correct in that a good upgraded battery is the winning TW lottery ticket lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
Fred is also correct in that a good upgraded battery is the winning TW lottery ticket lol
At the moment, I am testing a battery (home Made) mount lithium with Battery (4 ) ANR 3,2 Volts 2.500 Amp with BMS 100 Amp on my TW
001 BMS terminé.jpg 002 BMS terminé.jpg 004 BMS terminé.jpg
With an assembly of 2 batteries and 2 BMS 100,
2 BMS 100 mp.jpg

my TW starts correctly.
The charge is correct too

Another test with a separate mass of the starter
20190207_190749.jpg
electrical diagram
Battery 1 BMS100 Amp.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Following with some interest .

My 87 has an erratic spark which I " assumed " was the CDI . Got the replacement yesterday and installed ( all geeked up now ! ) But ... No joy .

Same as before , couple sparks when I hit the starter but then nothing .

Might well be something else , but I noticed an audible " snap " when it would spark coming from the solenoid . It can be felt too .

With it on the bench , I've been using a jump pack for power .

Scratching' me head .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys. Just fitted a new battery, but still the same. Holding the starter button for 3 seconds long, but does not start. Touch the starter button for just 1/4 second and pluf pluf, it comes to life.
Cleaned out the carb, with cleaner and air compressor. Alle clean and shiny inside, no visual wear. Still the same starting behavior. But does rides very fine. I think i have to live with it. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts