TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scouring the internet almost every day, reading up on all things motorcycle on a near-constant basis, I have no idea how AJP motorcycles has eluded me until now! But what I have learned about their motorcycles so far is very very promising. Reliable (from what I can tell so far) water cooled, fuel injected engine (in the PR5), six speed transmission, light weight, great suspension, under seat fuel tank for mass centralization, and soon-to-be 50 state street legal! The PR5 is a 250, the Pr7 is ~700 cc. I have been informed by an AJP rep that both the PR7 and PR5 should be available in all 50 states as factory street legal Adventure/Enduro bikes (respectively) in 2017. He also said they MIGHT have a 50 state PR5 for 2016. These are serious TRAIL bikes that really seem to have pretty much everything the typical serious American trail warrior wants in a great dirt bike.

AJP USA, Enduro, Trail and Dirt Bikes - AJP Motorcycles America | Light weight, affordable and dependable motorcylces - TONS of awesome info all over their web site, plus a whole bunch of cool videos of AJP's in action! Check it out if you like this bike!

Top ten finish in PRO CLASS hard enduro on a Factory-standard AJP!?

http://www.enduroextreme.com/01/17/2012/ajp-pr5-250-goes-top-10-at-the-tough-one/

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like it!
Me too lol! From everything I've yet read about the company, these guys really seem to have hit all the nails. Haven't been this interested in a new bike for quite a while. My only real questions would be reliability, durability, and ease of maintenance. And again, from what I can tell, those aspects of their bikes should be pretty good. If extensive additional research into those aspects returned very positive results, I might ACTUALLY seriously look at buying one of these in 2017 as my next bike! Of course I'm getting way ahead of myself here, as five minutes of reading could potentially kill that excitement if I find stupid common problems. I just can't help myself ;) These things look awesome!

On a side note, one thing that bugs the crap out of me is people calling OIL COOLED bikes air cooled. The 3 and 4 have factory oil coolers, which I think is totally cool. Also I haven't figured out definitively yet, but I think the 3 and 4 might be using basically Honda XR200 engines.

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
Amazing features for the price on all their models. I would like a demo ride if we ever get west coast distributors. Half the price of the Beta I had drooled over.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sweet machines. The PR7 looks very interesting. 18 lbs heavier than a DR650 dry but with the gas tank under the seat and better suspension it should handle much better but would have to prove itself to be reliable before I would consider buying one.
It would be nice to demo ride one though.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yet another small displacement dual sport. Wonder if the motor is made by Zhongshen? The best part being
that if sales of this and the RX3 succeed, then the big guns will pay attention.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
250 has KTM prices. Nice looking, but outta my price range. Interesting though.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The 250 needs a bigger fuel tank but other than that it looks pretty good. Also K.J. quit posting these sort of things. Your making this old racer get all kinds of crazy idea's!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 250 needs a bigger fuel tank but other than that it looks pretty good. Also K.J. quit posting these sort of things. Your making this old racer get all kinds of crazy idea's!!
Yea I can't really see any aftermarket fuel tanks being developed for this bike lol. My solution would be fuel bladders and/or racks with rotopax fuel cells. So no big deal to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like everything about the AJP ENDURO. Everything about it but the seat height. Even their PR3 is 3 inches higher than the my TW and I'm pointing my toes to reach the ground now. I'd miss the fatty tires, ha. I couldn't find any mention of "street legal". Maybe that's in 2017? Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
They call 34.2 low seat height. I call 30 to 31 low seat height.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yet another small displacement dual sport. Wonder if the motor is made by Zhongshen? The best part being
that if sales of this and the RX3 succeed, then the big guns will pay attention.
Yes, the ZS177MM (NC250) engine in the AJP PR5 is manufactured by Zongshen. This engine, and the Delphi EFI, are identical to the powerplant in the new Zongshen RX3 motorcycles. ;)

Spud :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, the ZS177MM (NC250) engine in the AJP PR5 is manufactured by Zongshen. This engine, and the Delphi EFI, are identical to the powerplant in the new Zongshen RX3 motorcycles. ;)

Spud :)

Well i did not know that. That is quite interesting. Thanks for the update, Spud! I thought that the PR3 and 4 might be Zongshen Honda clones, but did not think the 5 was. Anyway this certainly explains the price point; that engine is where all of the money did NOT go, lol! These bikes have a ton of sweet kit on them and costs had to be cut somewhere to make them affordable. If I thought the Zonghshen motors were reliable, this is probably the route I would take in designing a dual sport. Build all the peripherals to the exact specs I want, and then stick a very inexpensive yet reliable and fairly competent engine in the chassis. Your own experiences with Zongshen, and seeing the RX3, has led me to a better opinion of their engines than I used to have. I still don't really trust them completely, but at this point I'd probably put more faith in a Zongshen engine holding up when I need it to than a KTM engine, lol! No offense KTM guys, I do love their bikes for what they ARE :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts