TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the talk about "Fork Oil" I decided to change mine while doing a front tire swap. The plug in the bottom of the fork on the brake side came right out, the other side broke loose and just spins, and it will NOT tighten back up!!!

Did I f-up or am I just F-ed????? And yes I was turning the right way, "unless one is backwards thread"

I have enough going on in this little shop as is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
There are two types of screws at the end of the forks, depending on the vintage - the one that holds the damper rod in position, that is vertical to the bottom of the fork - and the one on the side of the fork, which is a proper drain plug

All have the vertical - but not all have the one on the side

Depends very much on the one were talking about ........

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
There are two types of screws at the end of the forks, depending on the vintage - the one that holds the damper rod in position, that is vertical to the bottom of the fork - and the one on the side of the fork, which is a proper drain plug

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
If he’s got one of the later models, he should be able to retract the screw by Admirals method to stop the damper rod from spinning, and use a magnetic driver bit at the screw – the thread is in the damper

You can use something like a nail to line the holes back up when it comes to re-fitting

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well it's a 2001, only bolt, nut (me) is the Allen head pointing straight up. I was hoping , like you, to get this done easily. Oh well. I do have a good 3/8 impacts, both air and cordless. I guess it can't hurt toooo try! If that doesn't work I can finish the disassembly of the one that came out and make a tool to get the other one apart.

Thanks all for the heads up of what I now have done and, have to do.

Next question, what oil??? LoL

Any guesses of which tire was on it? Which tire is going on it?

Again, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Hamsters name please.
Variable — it will usually answer to the name “Peanut” — but were not sure whether that’s a name, or what it’s after

Can it swim????
No idea — we’re currently using lead shot in his cheek pouches, both to weigh it down, and to improve submergence rates - (he charges by the hour)…..

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
No one to my knowledge on the forum has done it before, but it certainly can be done.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
"Anyone ever tried drilling, tapping, and adding their own drain bolt/screw, or is that a bad idea? Why the newer bikes don’t have drains is puzzling."

I have thought about it as the lump is still there....you go first lol
Neither my original ‘05s or the ‘06s on there now have the hump or I’d give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Interesting. They did for a while.
Neither my original ‘05s or the ‘06s on there now have the hump or I’d give it a try.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts