TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can get a replacement mirror or mount relatively inexpensive ,bugger fixing them can get real aggravating when you mirrors are moving and buzzing on you out on the road

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a drill bit, tap and a thread repair I can send you if you pm me your address. It is standard RH thread, (not the LH thead that one side uses) it will work on either side if you decide to use aftermarket mirrors with standard right hand thread. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
What a fiasco these mirrors are! The left, clutch side is standard right hand threads and I think metric 10 mm. The right / front brake side is reverse Left Hand threads and near impossible to find a tap to clean them up with. If you buy after market nicer mirrors chances are they will both be standard RH threads. Some after market mirrors come with an adapter to add that changes RH to LH threads but they are the weakest link and break real easy.

While parked in the woods my kick stand sunk in soft ground and the bike went down on the left, shifter side. No damage at all because the hand guard/bark busters did their job. The right side mirror never hit anything but the BS aluminum LH to RH adapter broke right off leaving the mirror on the ground. I sure wish I could find an after market lever perch that had standard RH threads for the mirror and would also have the socket for the brake light switch.

My idea, drill the mirror hole oversize and glue in and pin a standard 10 mm RH threaded nut that will accept after market mirrors. Helicoil thread repair does make LH thread repair insert but by the time you buy what you need it is much cheaper to just buy a new perch. JB weld is excellent glue for aluminum repairs.

GaryL

·
Registered
264 Posts
GaryL, you are also welcome to use my drill, tap and heli-coil if you want to convert it to RH threads. I will ship it to whomever asks for it first. I only ask that afterwards it gets sent to anyone else that may need it and then back to me. I am happy with the repair on mine. I used aftermarket foldable mirrors so that there is some level "give" if they take a hit.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks Leben, Very generous offer in the true spirit of the TW forum.

PM sent and I will send it directly back or to the next requester.

GaryL

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 2012 Vstrom mirrors were a direct fit and a big improvement.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
GaryL, the tools made it in the mail today. All of the tools needed for the repair are in the box. The drill bit is under the foam.

1RobAusdemore, if the perch is stripped and you would like to borrow the tools to repair it with a RH Heli-coil, GaryL can send them to you after he is finished.

My perch had stripped mirror threads when I purchased it and the Heli-coil insert worked very well. Just be aware that if you repair the right side with a RH Heli-coil you will need an aftermarket mirror. Most aftermarket mirrors use the RH thread.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GaryL, the tools made it in the mail today. All of the tools needed for the repair are in the box. The drill bit is under the foam.

1RobAusdemore, if the perch is stripped and you would like to borrow the tools to repair it with a RH Heli-coil, GaryL can send them to you after he is finished.

My perch had stripped mirror threads when I purchased it and the Heli-coil insert worked very well. Just be aware that if you repair the right side with a RH Heli-coil you will need an aftermarket mirror. Most aftermarket mirrors use the RH thread.
Yes thank you. I will pm Gary

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thank you Leben! The repair kit arrived and was a simple fix. Always easy with the right tools!

The kit is on the way to RobA above.

Note to RobA. You must remove the perch from the bars and put it in a vice. You have to drill the hole over sized to accept the new tap threader and helicoil. Once you get the perch threaded the coil goes in with the bent tab first so it ends up in the bottom where you can reach in and break that tab off.

Keep in mind this repair changes the direction of the threads from left hand to right hand. Mirrors can be bought with both right and left threads and there are adapters you can buy. Once you make this repair, both of your mirror perches will be right hand threads. You have three choices, buy adapters, buy right hand threaded mirrors or buy a new perch. Most after market mirrors are right hand threads while the stock right side mirror is left thread. I don't know if Helicoil makes a thread repair kit for left hand threads but it would be very expensive if they do. Leben paid the price to buy this kit and his generosity in lending it out should be appreciated and respected. Use it right so you don't brake any part of it and be sure it gets back to him.

GaryL

Reactions: joeband

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the delay, got it done going back in the mail. I put a 13/32 bit in with the package . Thank you very much worked great! I will be sending it back unless someone requests it this afternoon.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not sure if the drill bit is 13/32 but the exact bit necessary for the thread tap was in the box from Leben to me and from me to you. It is under the foam in the box right where Leben said it was.

GaryL

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went to the mailbox yesterday and found my tools waiting for me. I'm glad that you two were able to get some use out of them.

1RobAusdemore - Thanks for the drill bit.

If there is anyone that needs to repair a stripped perch or convert a mirror to RH threads either now or in the future, I would be happy to send you these tools.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts