TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my DT project, got the engine off the frame. Had really low compression and was filthy. Cleaning it off, I was about to start opening the engine to inspect inside. Nearly every screw on the engine is stripped the F out. I see lots of people drilling stripped screws with screw extractor kits. Has anyone used these before on engines? Any advice or tips as to which kit to buy and how to use? Is there a better method of removal? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
That's a bummer!

Could you clarify what you mean by stripped? Do you mean that the head of the screw/bolt is stripped and will not hold a screwdriver/socket, or do you mean that the screw/bolt threads are stripped in the engine case?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know they have used to love using Phillips head screws on the cases of the older bikes. If it's the Phillips head that's stripped out you can often use a dremel with a small cutoff disk to grind a slot and then use a flat blade impact driver to then remove. I'd try that before drilling and using a screw extractor.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would start by hammering the proper bit into the fastener using the proper bit socket and extension then follow that up with a impact gun or impact driver.

Snap on makes some really good screw extractors .... but the cheaper ones work fine as well. I usually break the tip off the extractor a bit to allow it to grip a bigger diameter without having to drill so deep into the fastener. The problem is that these are small diameter screws so you will need to use a small drill which won't allow a big beefy extractor. The problem is if you break off the hardened steel extractor you are really up shit creek since its nearly impossible to drill.

If it was me I would just drill the heads off all the screws, then use a punch or chisel to snap the heads off ..... then remove the shanks after the covers and cases are split using vice grips and heat and penetrating fluid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a bummer!

Could you clarify what you mean by stripped? Do you mean that the head of the screw/bolt is stripped and will not hold a screwdriver/socket, or do you mean that the screw/bolt threads are stripped in the engine case?
Yes phillips heads are all stripped out and won't hold a screwdriver. I hope the threads are not!

I know they have used to love using Phillips head screws on the cases of the older bikes. If it's the Phillips head that's stripped out you can often use a dremel with a small cutoff disk to grind a slot and then use a flat blade impact driver to then remove. I'd try that before drilling and using a screw extractor.
This is brilliant! I will try this before drilling anything out! Thank you sir!

I would start by hammering the proper bit into the fastener using the proper bit socket and extension then follow that up with a impact gun or impact driver.

Snap on makes some really good screw extractors .....
If the dremel (making flathead screws) doesnt work I will be sure to try this next. Thanks for the tips.

Use a sharp cold chisel to put a nick in the head and then tap the chisel anti-clockwise to loosen the screw. A good smack on the head of the screw first with a hammer and punch will help as well.

Be patient and keep the faith...that old DT is worth saving.
I love the look of those old vinatage enduros, I almost bought two more this weekend. Figured I should probably finish one project first XD Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try it out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I tried the dremel tool. Made a flathead out of a couple of the bad screws and viola! The screws popped right out easy peasy. Kind of amazed the previous owner managed to strip them out... Maybe the PB blaster I put on there last night helped a bit. You are kings among men my friends. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
69 Posts
A trick I learned many years ago as an young A&P mechanic was many a screw can be remove by using valve grinding compound. All you have to do is put a small amount on your screw driver bit and work it back and fourth a couple times, or until you fell it bite and out the come. Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
A lot of these young whippersnappers probably don't know that trick... Thanks for sharing.

:D

A trick I learned many years ago as an young A&P mechanic was many a screw can be remove by using valve grinding compound. All you have to do is put a small amount on your screw driver bit and work it back and fourth a couple times, or until you fell it bite and out the come. Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I'll be sure to try it out. I love learning new techniques, adding new skills to the ol' "toolbox". Very appreciated!

·
Registered
54 Posts
try hitting the side of screw head with a small punch
Those threads gall up.whack em pretty hard and try
to go all around the head .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where those Phillips screws or JIS? Using a Phillips on a JIS will strip out the head.
Your problem is using Phillips screwdrivers on a Japanese engine. They aren't Phillips head screws...
At the moment it doesn't matter what screw head I am using. The previous owner stripped them all to nothing more then a shiny hole. I am aware of Japanese Industrial Standard. My problem, is someone wanted to work on his bike without having any clue what he was doing or any clue how to research something properly. I'm into the engine now. Need to find new engine bolt kit but that can wait another week. I'm accumulating project too fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts