TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I stripped the drain screw on my carb. is there another (easy) way to drain my carb?

I've been having trouble starting up in cold weather (in Maine, and I wasn't even able to get it started at all today!) and before I started messing with the idle mixture screw (good idea?) I wanted to drain the carb thinking that maybe I put too much gas in there during my 1001 attempts to start it.

when it's cold it has started with no choke. full and half choke, nothing. today no start no matter what. it's a2012 all stock, serviced 1000 miles ago, has about 2100mi now.

any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated

thanks for your time & expertise!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Man your gonna have to lube it up and use a bigger screwdriver to get it out. Your just gonna have to take the bowl off to drain it. clean off your sparkplug and gas it soo much

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i can't think of what this looks like...i have the older style carb though...like risingsun said hit it with wd40...put a screwdriver to it and and if you can hit the screwdriver with a hammer to shock the bolt...otherwise can you grab the head of it with a pair of pliers? (probably not)...or just take the whole bowl off

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I did the quick and dirty carb clean to the point where I forum link loosened the carb & turned it, is there any way I could drain it with out removing the whole bowl? I'm a novice so the less I do to the carb the better I figure

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
if I did the quick and dirty carb clean to the point where I forum link loosened the carb & turned it, is there any way I could drain it with out removing the whole bowl? I'm a novice so the less I do to the carb the better I figure

not that i know of...you may want to look into what your idle mixture screw should be at...i believe 2.5 turns out is stock...you could always spray some starter fluid into the intake to get it started...also make sure you are getting gas...you may have gas in the tank but it may not be high enough to go into the petcock

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Why do you think there is too much gas in the carb? How do you think you put too much gas in it? If you are smelling gas you probably just have it flooded. I'd leave the carb alone, dry the spark plug, and let it set for an hour then try again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all! so tomorrow AM I'm goingt to clean up the air filter & spark plug. is there an easy way to get starter fluid into the intake?or do I have to takenapart th air box to do that? thanks for your time! I want the tdub to be my ride to work all year round, so I really need to get her going consistently in the cold & get this down pat. worst case, I can always just cut a hole (and duct tape it closed later) in the air box and shoot starter fluid in it every day right?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd skip the starting fluid, not a good idea. I've seen airboxes blown up, carbs blown off and on one occasion the top blown off a piston. There shouldn't be any reason to use it on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'd skip the starting fluid, not a good idea. I've seen airboxes blown up, carbs blown off and on one occasion the top blown off a piston. There shouldn't be any reason to use it on a motorcycle.

not the best idea but i've used it on mine with no problems

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it started! surprised that the battery water level was really low! recharged it, filled it up. cleaned air filter. learned the big thumb-turnable screw at the side of the carb was all the way down. so I cranked up the idle with that, gave the intake a very quick (.33 sec?) shot of ignition fluid and it started. got a nice freezing ride in! hope tomorrow AM it starts right up, that's when it really counts. and I have to say just cracking open the bike yourself is invaluable.

·
Registered
503 Posts
as I'm a little late to this discussion, I'm glad to see you got it going. As I read through it, the battery was coming to the fore-front of my thought process. A bike that new should not need the carb (or anything) messed with to get her to fire up. I do however suggest you read up on the carb shim and idle mixture adjustment procedure in the pinned forums. Did it to my 2011 with similar mileage, and now I don't even need the choke 9 times outta 10. TIM

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it running today with no ignition fluid! heck I just kept the battery inside all night & put it in before I started it. it feels silly but I cant afford not to make it to work. might get a Li or gel battery or just suffer through this routine for a few months. Point37, I ride but not far for sure!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
where do you park/store it?...non-attached garage? shed? attached garage? outside? heated garage?...the warmer the better...i have mine in an attached garage which isn't as warm as a heated garage but not as cold as a non-attached garage so over the winter i would plug it into a battery tender from time to time to keep it charged...where you are using yours more i would say put a battery tender on it as well but depending where the bike is parked it may not be worth it unless you get one of those nice waterproof battery tenders

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Before making holes in anything try removing the spark plug and putting some fluid directly in the cylinder. If you only have to do it occasionally it is no big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts