TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while attempting to install my new folding side view mirrors, I discovered that the left hand side has stripped threads. the new part is about $30. Does anyone have ideas for a cheaper solution? I found press-fit inserts for soft metal. Any other solutions will be enthusiastically considered.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Someone may have stripped it accidentally not knowing that one is right hand threads and the other is left hand threads.

Hopefully someone has a solution for you.

Reactions: socalnative and Ken

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ken has it right and once we are on a slippery slope to my level of fix, get the left hand thread adaptor that would normally counter thread in for the right mirror to allow a greater choice of mirrors. Fill the hole with "lab metal" and twist the right hand thread adaptor into it. The adaptor will never come out, but the mirror will easily thread in and out of the adaptor. Don't strip that out as you will live and die with this fix.

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 on the 'fill with JB Weld and re tap'. Let it completely set up before drill/tap.
If there is 'some' thread left, the loctite trick works. If you use loctite and need to remove it, applying local heat with a soldering iron works good. Even with the red stuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
One of the funniest youtube diy'er videos was a guy trying to break loose 4mm screws on a motorcycle.
Of course he was going the wrong way and after snapping off the second bolt head he paused and said that they must be frozen or rusted in place.
After the third one pops off the video stops and then restarts and he has the cover off and he explains that apparently he was turning them the wrong way but also that they were rusted in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas and feedback. I live in New Hampshire so I don't think the offer Heli-Coil to repair it will work but thanks. I found the HELI-COIL kit with coils and install tool. on line but it cost more than a new part. I think the best bet is the JB Weld option with the adapter. The threads are to far gone for the loctite.

Many thanks for all the input and help...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I personally have never had success with jbweld or the permatex "thread repair" for fixing threads, for whatever reason they have never held up.

You wold be much better off with a heli-coil insert. Where in NH are you? I live in MA and if you are close enough i can put one in for you, i have the kit and tools for that size. If you want you can also drop it in the mail and i can send it right back fixed. id bet it would only take a couple days in transit.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
jb 882,

I agree that the heli-coil insert would be better. I live in Durham NH I would gladly accept help in person if you aren't to far away or sending the part off to you for repair. Let me know what will work best.
I think mailing it may be easiest/ cheapest by far, i dont think its worth the 1.5 hour drive. I'm normally up in that area a bit since my girlfriend lives in Kittery but wont be all summer now that my girlfriend is done teaching for the year and will be down here with me. Just so you know im home till next Wed then im traveling for work till the 23rd.

Ill send you my address via private message

Ill send you a PM with my address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, I received the part that you repaired last Tuesday. It worked beautifully. the new mirrors are in place, I have my registration, license, insurance and state inspection sticker for NH. This is the first I've had this 87" TW on the road since I bought it in 2007! I really appreciate your help with re-threading the stripped mirror mount. Having a good time on the TW this Summer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts