TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was off to change my fork oil...( after 7000 miles of mostly road work.) I know too long , but I am putting about 75 miles a day on the bike quite regular now...before , not so much... Anyways , I cannot get the fork caps off. I almost thought "reversed threads." , but havent seen anything about that , so... I have used a long pipe on a breaker bar with no luck...I am sure I will be able to figure this out , but I was hoping someone "here' may have a simple fix? Ive done penetrating oils and the like... I havent given up ~ just want to know if I am the only one that has run across this. Previous owner must have played in salt water? I have had a gaggle of bikes and havent run across this before,, Both caps stuck ~ yet havent had the nuts or bolts anywhere else on this bike a problem.(and Ive been places).. Thanks guys ~ Eric

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
I've had the opportunity to replace seals or change oil on 2 TW's. One a 91 and then a 2005. In both cases the fork caps were not seized and came off real easy, but you have to do what Rainman says, loosen the top fork pinch bolt, then try the fork cap. Otherwise it will feel like they are seized. If the fork caps are on that tight with the pinch bolts loosened, then maybe follow Scotsman and bikerjosh's advice. (Note to self: loosen, but don't remove fork caps until it's time too)

I'll just add to what Rainman's mentioned, leave the lower pinch bolts tight to hold the fork tube until you have the fork caps loosened. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the opportunity to replace seals or change oil on 2 TW's. One a 91 and then a 2005. In both cases the fork caps were not seized and came off real easy, but you have to do what Rainman says, loosen the top fork pinch bolt, then try the fork cap. Otherwise it will feel like they are seized. If the fork caps are on that tight with the pinch bolts loosened, then maybe follow Scotsman and bikerjosh's advice. (Note to self: loosen, but don't remove fork caps until it's time too)

I'll just add to what Rainman's mentioned, leave the lower pinch bolts tight to hold the fork tube until you have the fork caps loosened. Good luck.

So I was off to change my fork oil...( after 7000 miles of mostly road work.) I know too long , but I am putting about 75 miles a day on the bike quite regular now...before , not so much... Anyways , I cannot get the fork caps off. I almost thought "reversed threads." , but havent seen anything about that , so... I have used a long pipe on a breaker bar with no luck...I am sure I will be able to figure this out , but I was hoping someone "here' may have a simple fix? Ive done penetrating oils and the like... I havent given up ~ just want to know if I am the only one that has run across this. Previous owner must have played in salt water? I have had a gaggle of bikes and havent run across this before,, Both caps stuck ~ yet havent had the nuts or bolts anywhere else on this bike a problem.(and Ive been places).. Thanks guys ~ Eric

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry , I coped the post and pasted it again !!! thread lock !!! Looked like Loc-Tite RED ... So , a bigger breaker bar did it... Thanks again for all of your help// Eric

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!

Who in their right mind would use RED Loc-tite on a regularly serviced fastener? Good thing you managed to get them off without destroying them completely!
Yes weird indeed ~~ and I got this bike with only 600 miles on it Well its on its way to 8000 now.. and doing great ...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow!

Who in their right mind would use RED Loc-tite on a regularly serviced fastener? Good thing you managed to get them off without destroying them completely!
It might have just been a sealer. When I buy air-brake components, they frequently come with a pre-applied sealer that could easily mistaken for red loc-tite. OM

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know this thread is old. But if you ever suspect someone has used red thread locking compound, or sometimes green retaining compound, then the only correct method for easy release is HEAT.

Gently use a torch or heat gun to get the interface area HOT. The thread locker will liquefy and sometimes start smoking, you know it's hot enough, and then don't get burned removing the nut/bolt.

I use thread locking compounds at work often enough that I have learned some tricks. But a problem is if someone has used the red or green in the WRONG location, such as the OP's top caps. Using heat to get easy disassembly may also ruin any O-rings under the cap. But O-Rings are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
I know this thread is old. But if you ever suspect someone has used red thread locking compound, or sometimes green retaining compound, then the only correct method for easy release is HEAT.

Gently use a torch or heat gun to get the interface area HOT. The thread locker will liquefy and sometimes start smoking, you know it's hot enough, and then don't get burned removing the nut/bolt.

I use thread locking compounds at work often enough that I have learned some tricks. But a problem is if someone has used the red or green in the WRONG location, such as the OP's top caps. Using heat to get easy disassembly may also ruin any O-rings under the cap. But O-Rings are cheap and easy to replace.
Good solution. Many of us forget a heat gun or torch when used right can help in such matters.

...also don't forget to loosen the top triple tree pinch bolt when trying to loosen (or tighten) the fork cap. Humm, wonder how I know this...:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts