TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery we installed 1 week ago in Cortez, CO has failed and won't hold a charge. I have been push starting the bike, but that gets old fast, and won't work off pavement. I was unable to find a replacement battery within a 100 mile radius and can't get one in less than 4 to 5 days. Yes, I wish I had a kick starter.
So I bought the only battery I could find that is small enough to fit. It is an Interstate CYTX5L-BS. It starts the bike.
Specs:
CCA: 80
Voltage: 12
CAP-10: 4.00
Reserve CAP-25: 4.00

Should I have any concerns using this as a temporary fix? 4 amps looks to be 1/2 the stock battery.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our second night here. Ready to go in he morning. Wasn't looking forward to 4 more days.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Sorry to hear about your quandary. I can safely say you will not damage your bike with that battery but it may not prove to be reliable for a long time.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happened to that one you bought a week ago, in Cortez, CO. ????
That's what I'd like to know. It was a BikeMaster Trugel. Worked fine for a week. All of a sudden when we pulled into a motel, and when Lynn came out, the bike was dead. No lights, not even a click. I checked the fuse first, that was OK. I thought maybe the ignition switch, but I was able to push start.
Took it this morning to the oldest Kawasaki dealer in the US (yes, here in Lander) and the really great guy there tested it with half a dozen different gauges to confirm it was just the battery. Hooked up a different battery to confirm the system was OK. He reminded me of Mr Gizmow, and was showing me his 1989 KLR with 75,000 miles and gauges and bells and whistles. He said the KLR record is 125,000 miles so far.
He called everyone he knew and some he didn't to help me out, but no TW battery was to be found. I bought the best I could come up with at an ATV shop.
We've been encountering a lot of technical glitches this ride. Bad experience with the dealer in Durango. I will elaborate at some point.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your quandary. I can safely say you will not damage your bike with that battery but it may not prove to be reliable for a long time.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is what I figured. I'll replace it in Salt Lake City.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And now you see the worth of a kick starter, as you mentioned. Come out to Moab, 2016, and get a kick starter kit installed for free.
PS. I'm scheming to make that happen.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
TWilight,
Have your thought about adding the additional option of stainless allen head screws for the engine case?
Mel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts