·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck in Moab.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Don't Worry Z, we'll get a passing jeep to pull you out if you want to go scuba diving down there with your TW. I wonder if the rescued biker would have liked to be pulled just a few feet further out of the hole.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
And if you're on an ATV trail, my wife's ATV has a winch. Never used it, but by the hundreds of Moab video's I've watched, it could happen!

I'm also experimenting with some pulley's and rope for a lightweight self recovery system. "Arm" strong powered if you will. This topic was discussed few years ago and I'm now trying it out to see if it's practical.

Wish me stuck!:D

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Some recent insights:

It has been said; If there is a will, there is a way. Or something like that. I like thinking of scenarios, then dreaming up solutions. Guess it might be a good mental exercise, but sometimes the reality of the 'solution' falls way short.

Case in point:

Above, the Admiral makes reference to an earlier forum discussion, and the general topic was 'self rescue'. I proudly posted what I had put in place a year or two earlier. I had a few ideas, and did a lot of shopping around. This showed promise as it had a good reduction ratio. It is well made. The strapping made it much easier to wrap around a gloved hand with 'minimal' discomfort.

Fast forward; recently as a result of an fall and the ensuing struggle to lift my heavy bike, I had occasion to practice the 'squat lift'. Since this exercise was to be done at home, I got to stage the circumstances, moving a bit more to the ideal. I placed my bike close to a tree. Should my squat lift fail, I could pull out my game winch and get the bike upright in a jiffy, right ? Well, not quite.

Seems, when I purchased my game winch, I was a younger fellow, with a bit more upper body strength. Even then, the reality of an incline pull on rough terrain would now leave a lot of doubt in my mind. Should you have a partner, in my opinion, the dynamics would hold lots more promise.

Certainly don't want to rain on anyones parade. Sometimes I go off on a tangent. I get caught up in the hunt for a solution. What I frequently forget is the practice, practice, practice and of course, more practice.

Trailside is not the time to put a theory into practice.

Perhaps yet another epiphany. Lots of talk continues regarding the value of a kick-starter. I agree, to a degree. Right out of the gate in 2006. One of my first rides up in the mountains. Not having gotten use to shifting my new TW, I attempted starting out on a steep hill in 2ed gear. As I approached the hill mid way from a side trail, there was no way that I could not have both feet on the ground. BOY, that push button start was, is, the cats meow. My bike was upgraded with a kick start back in 08 if I recall correctly. From time to time it was fun to be manly and kick my bike to life. A couple of times it was much closer to being a necessity.

It is now 2015 and a lot has changed. I am 66, not 58. Seems, that can mean a lot, more than I ever guessed. Recently I ran low on fuel, and was caught a bit by surprize. As my bike had just got really wet, I attributed my problem to a wet ignition. A couple of hits to the electric started showed little promise. I moved to my trusty kick starter. Much to my surprise, I didn't have all that many kicks to offer up, at least in 3 to 6 minute time intervals.

I only bring the kick starter up because someone on another thread implied there might be merit in a backup battery. I think initially the poster was misunderstood, as perhaps the question was about equipping their bike with a better battery. Regardless, mention was made about the possible value associated with carrying one of those compact, high capacity lithium packs (properly connected of course). Given my recent experiences, and insights, this is looking to be a pretty good idea. Gerry

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
All is good and Gerry's complete post is visible now. I, like Mike, could not see all of post #5 for some inexplicable reason.
Back on topic with only a mild hijack now...Gerry, does the flat webbing feed through the pully blocks w/o kinks or other problems?
I do admire the search for solutions, especially those that might be life savers for a solo rider in the outback. However I do not really recall any situations where while stuck or tipped over a winch would have solved the problems I faced. Superior mechanical advantage is the best option available so anything like the pullys or better leverage is worth pursuing though. For me I added a grab bar extension to my sub-frame so I could have a place to apply my limited force more efficiently. If in a true do-or-die scenario I would consider removing any weighty gear and the fuel tank if possible, anything to reduce mass of the bike.
The inquisative brain is our best tool at times, so keep thinking of alternate stategies when in a pickle. While mired hopelessly in a muddy Tonopah "dry" lakebed once I accepted the reality that the bike was not recoverable as is. So I hiked out leaving my KDX upright mired up to the axles. I spent the night, then returned at freezing dawn tempuratures with digging sticks and was able to lift the bike onto frozen rubbery mud that before was like chocolate pudding. Muddy, cold and fatigued for sure, but also safe without hurting my back in a hopeless attempt to self-rescue in soupy muck.
Without fangs, claws nor fur our best resource is our brain, so use it like Gerry and as he says "practice".

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Well Fred, given my limited practice, silly me made certain conditions were perfect. Once tensioned, webbing pulled straight. Under real world condition, after being pulled from your pack and dropped to the ground a couple of times, it's anybodies guess as to what the webbing feed would end up being.

I played with using 6061 T6 tube (7/8 slipped into 1" to telescope). Also tried 5/8" rod. Bent both. Indeed removing weight is what I need to do first off now. Then again, how silly we can be by still trying "what use to work" first. Gerry

Don't let me be a dark cloud Kris. Simply hoping others can learn from my follies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts