TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all the great creative things folks here have created how about some of our more destructive accomplishments?
blowing_shit_up_for_dummies_by_akatsuki_misery_sama.jpg
Don't really need a guidebook , some of us have a natural knack for it. . 315f4851e1197e6e6d8719127c938d23.jpg

·
Registered
19,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Touche mon ami Borneo.
Years ago acting as the project engineer for an exploration concern I got to wear a lot of hats that none of the geologic staff wanted. One was supervising road construction by our looney cat operator. He was crazy brave when it came to nibbling away drill roads from face of mountainous terrain in his ancient D-6. Unsure as to whether I could ever replace him I let him get away with a lot of shenanigans including skipping most of a explosives certification course I monitored with him. He spent all his time in the whorehouses of Juarez and I would explain things to him later after his lust was satisfied. I actually still have a first prize commemorative knife for the best det-delay layouts.
Anyways I would urge him to use reasonable blast layouts to only fracture and lift the rock a bit so he had some fill to push around with his cat afterwards. No,no,no, ANFO was cheap ( we mixed our own Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil), the 25 millisecond detonation delays languished in his truck, and he would take exquisite joy in no-delay massive charges that sent fly rock hundreds of yards downslope. I admit I enjoyed the show too. Looked dramatic on in-house promo videos used to spice up next years budget requests but was tremendously inefficient. ( That was another hat I inherited by default...designated video producer) BOOM!
Eventually we paid the cat skinner enough to lease a bigger more powerful dozer but it was always a challenge to balance yucking it up with him with keeping him and others safe. We blew up a lot of innocent limestone! He did teach me how to skin and roast fresh rattle snake over a mesquite fire on a piece of wire for a mid-day snack...a little salt and garlic from his truck, wrap in a tortilla shell and yum,yum.
I digress terminally...your guy's turn.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sorry, no pictures, but you can just imagine...

I once installed a 3000 gallon plastic water tank at the top of a hill. The day was getting late, & so I connected the 2" PVC pipe to the bottom outlet of the tank, and called that good, with the intention of returning in a couple of days to continue & finish the installation. There the empty 3000 gallon tank sat safely, so I thought...

The very next afternoon, a freak wind Hit the Anderson valley! A friend of mines home weather station registered wind speed of 99 mph just before it broke! To this day no one knows for sure what caused it, tornado, micro-burst? Lots of trees fell & broke, & other wind damage, amazingly no one injured.

The force of this wind blew so hard against the 3000 gallon plastic tank, that one witness described it as looking like a balloon held by a string flailing in the wind! The string, being several hundred feet of 2" pvc pipe that was laying in a trench yet to be buried. Finally the tank could take no more, and tore apart, leaving what looked like an oversize kiddie pool laying on the ground, still attached to the 2" pipe. The rest of the tank now airborne, flew about 100 ft. across a road, through the neighbors fence, & came to rest in their yard.

Yes, an act of God. But if I had pumped one foot of water into that tank, it would have not budged. Sometimes...:icon_scratch: m.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I had a 77 Honda mr175 Elsinore that I broke in half, 20 km out in the bush. No pics as it was in the age of film.
I was trying to make it up a hill climb and when I didn't make it I turned the bike around an d rolled back down the hill.
At the bottom I went to bump / roll start it and when I pushed down to get weight on the back wheel as I released the clutch she broke.

I had a 87 XT350 I scuffed the piston ( not as bad as Admirals) while revving the snot out of the bike heading up to SFU.
I also put a valve through a piston on a 76 VW rabbit on the same hill, again revving the snot out of it.
Had the rear hub on the XY400 break allowing the chain to go through the crank while revving the snott out of it on a hill climb on the dunes.

Luckily the WR has not given me grief when I rev the snott out of it.

Not to sure how much abuse the TW will taken given it is approaching 49000 Km.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts