TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this forum and many centuries of experience with these mechanical wonders, so why not put some of your collective genius to work and pose a question the the collective masses.

00v0v_83OUppv7Aee_600x450.jpg 00101_2QeJtsb6MAf_600x450.jpg
I posted a picture of this bike before, but now i got some more info from the seller, prompting my question:

what happened to this motor? describe the scenario that would cause this damage and what other parts might be damaged.

in a few days i'll post the added info i got from the seller.

(note his price is down from the original $1000)

1995 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport, needs engine work - $600 (redwood city)
1995 Yamaha XT225, 23400 original miles, needs major engine work: piston, crankshaft, maybe more. You can see in the last photo what happened to the original piston. Other than that the bike is in good shape. New off-road tires. New seat cover vinyl. Current California street registration. Email if interested.

[Yamaha XT225 is a classic. Yamaha originally marketed it as a beginner bike, but beginner or not, nothing made today is as light (238lb), turns as tightly (74"), and still does passably well at freeway speeds. Grab them while you can. The last ones were made in 2008.]

·
Registered
184 Posts
it looks like detonation problem, over heating or timing issue.flywheel key sheared off or worn ?just guessing without being able to check out engine in person.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Many years ago a riding buddy used aviation fuel in a Kawi with similar results.
Joe -- I used avgas in my TW and about the only thing it did was smell like a Cessna.

As for the melted piston, maybe some nitro-methane?

Or blow torch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Contents may, or may not have been in aerosol cans?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It looks like a hexagon in the center, strange.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would not be surprised if he hooked up Nitrous to it and decided to see how fast it could go.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
OK Joe, time to end the drama ....What Happened?:confused:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i asked him if he was blasting along at freeway speeds.

ok, here's the answer i got from him:

I was doing 70 in the fast lane and lost all engine power. (Nearly got run over, too. That bike slows down quickly without an engine.) Still not sure what happened. Maybe a catastrophic oil leak, or maybe I was accidentally in 5th gear instead of 6th, which would rev the engine at 9500 RPM. These dual-sports have no oil pressure switch and no tach, so both are possible.

I later tore down the engine to look. The piston rod needs replacing in my opinion due to scratches inside the small end. Therefore the crankshaft, too, because they are one piece. You might be able to reuse the head if you reface the valve seats. I made a note of a problem with the cylinder, but I don't recall what the damage was or how bad. I also noted a chipped tooth on one of the gears, and the plastic damper on the timing sprocket broke during disassembly. Other than that, normal 23k mile wear and tear. If you repace every part that isn't perfect and buy all parts brand new from a dealer, I figure you'd spend between $1000 and $2000. And I've seen the XT225s sell for $3000. That's just my opinion though. You're the one taking the risk.

i think his estimate of parts is fairly accurate, but his estimate of a 21 yr old bike is waaay off.
philosobrad gets the prize for his answer, though qwerty should get honorable mention for most succinct.

it's still listed for $600 if anyone wants to take the risk.... ;)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If someone had a donor engine to put in would be worth it.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is getting closer to the $300 that I offered him . . . .
rich blood, i offered $250, and reading his story i was thinking of dropping to $200.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts