TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a brief vid forth coming of my ride through the everglades, sadly it wasn't as fun as I was hoping......part of the issue was this damn EPA or whatever regulated fuel can spout on the rotopax. Apparently, it's a one time use because I had only used it once before and now it didn't work at all.

TW200FUELCAN.jpg

Didn't know I had my picture taken until the photographer walked up and asked for my permission. I was out there last week in my 4runner and now it's all gone!!!!

N0013318093--520160410173359000.JPG
Motorists stop to view the smoldering ruins of the historic Monroe Station on Sunday, April 10, 2016, in Ochopee, Fla. A fire destroyed the historic way station on the Tamiami Trail between Naples and Miami on Saturday night. It was one of a series of way stations built in the late 1920s after the opening of the Tamiami Trail to help travelers. (David Albers/Staff)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
What happened?

Be careful. The gas will dissolve the adhesive from the tape and when it is atomized through the jets it could lead to clogging something up.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I dread using mine. In my very very early days on this site a guy was selling the "old style" rotopax jug. I was not smart enough to jump on the great deal and a give away price because I did not know better. When I got my set up (new style) I felt like posting a classified where I would gladly trade.

Can I retrofit the old spout to my new can or is it threaded different. 4 Wheel Parts sells both spout kits. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-Parts-Car-Care/Conventional-Spout-Set.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=188&t_pt=11104&t_pn=ROTRX-SP-CONV

Just type in the word spout when you get there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened?

Be careful. The gas will dissolve the adhesive from the tape and when it is atomized through the jets it could lead to clogging something up.

Thought about that but didn't have a choice.

So what happened was this, I miscalculated the distance I was driving today, thinking it was about 115-ish miles turned into 142 miles. Not a huge deal, but I also thought I would get about 70+ mpg, since that's about what I have been getting, but I'm wondering if riding at 60+mph is not such a good idea. I had to hit reserve at 67 miles AND I filled it within 3/4 of the tank opening. So that picture was about 5-10 miles on reserve, then realizing I had a 60+ mile ride back, unsure of where any gas stations were. Anywho.....I get to that spot to throw in the 1 gal and that stupid spout is one of those EPA mandated gimmicks that you have to twist-push-pull-stand on one leg- and sing mary had a little lamb to get the fuel out. As it turns out, the valve would not open and had no idea how that stupid thing worked. So My only option was what you see there and yes the tape had disintegrated, by the time I was removing it from the can.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hmm. I've used my Rotopax ten or so times and never had an issue. No leaks, no problems using it. I did read the directions and tried it the first time immediately after doing so. Since I haven't used it for over a year maybe I ought to read them again.....;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I bought my Rotopax, having read the reports on the "eco-spouts", I also ordered a regular Self-Venting Spout, " . . . ONLY SUPPLIED WITH WATER PACKS AND INTERNATIONALLY SHIPPED FUEL PACKS". They do say that it "WORKS AS A REPLACEMENT SPOUT TO THE GOVERNMENT REQUIRED ECO SPOUT FOUND ON ROTOPAX" but of course I would never do such a thing :).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just threw in the towel and returned my rotopax (unused) and went with the almost 3 gal clarke tank

·
Registered
50 Posts
My local ACE hardware sold the old school replacement spout along with 2 different threaded caps. Last visit to Canada made a stop at Canadian Tire and picked up a normal gas can for a souvenir.

hi-flo-bag_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 1 gallon cans in Canada ( Canadian tire) are now the epa variety.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
" The gas will dissolve the adhesive from the tape and when it is atomized through the jets it could lead to clogging something up." -This was exactly my fear when wanting to get one more ride on way home from Moab.
Leaving a Green River restaurant I noticed that most of my TW's just purchased gas had mysteriously disappeared .The gas cap was no where to be
found nor a replacement available in town. So I went back to the gas station, re-bought more gas and carefully rubber band and Gorilla taped a plastic bag over the opening. It worked and I got a fantastic ride through Black Dragon Canyon the next day. Indeed sloshed gas softened the adhesive making a gummy hard to remove mess down the exterior sides of the tank. Fortunately the plastic barrier seemingly prevented gummy sloshed contaminated fuel from getting back into tank or I likely could have had the clogged jets Devil's Advocate warned about.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It was awhile ago , but , I saw on the Rotopak site where they still sold the "old" / useful type of spout. There was some sort of guise to this offering however.......it may have been a spout for there water "jug" unit?????. Check it out.
DOH......I see another member posted similar info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts