TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took half a day off to get my Tdub inspected....
Getting three or four hours off isn't hard..
Anything more tends to require an act of God...
I couldn't find the key so I thought maybe l left
it under the seat strap.
( I put it there sometimes when I'm mucking about )
Pulled the cover back and there it was...
In the ignition..... In the on position....
Duhh I know genius at work...
It's been that way for over a week now...
I figure the battery is toast..
So one kick and off I go.
Unfortunately to pass inspection all lights and horn must
work without the engine running amoung other things...
A miracle.. The twenty mile ride put enough juice in the
battery to work the lights and horn..
GOOD TO GO FOR ANOTHER YEAR !!!
What's the best way to defeat the kickstand switch
so I MUST shut the bike off with the key.
I don't want to destroy my next battery....
mike from N.C.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pavlov a memory trick instead. Every time you turn the key off think of your favorite food. After a dozen or so times you'll have yourself getting the munchies every time you hear keys jingle. And you'll remember to turn the bike off.

·
Super Moderator
14,427 Posts
The only thing I found to guarantee your ignition is turned off is to make sure you ride with other people. They are more than willing to let you know you left the key on. :oops:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Form a habit of always shutting off the bike with the key instead of the kill switch or the kickstand. Repeat this every time for five years. I used to shut off with the kill switch and did exactly what you did a few times, but I never left it for a week. That has probably significantly lessened your battery's life, and Murphy's law will apply.
Now, the only time I will use the kill switch is if bonking on a hill or whenever I must stop the bike with both hands on the bars.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try to always shut the bike down with the key..
I must have been in a hurry , , dropped the kickstand
And forgot.. ( HOORAY FOR THE KICK STARTER ! !
BEST INVESTMENT EVER ! ! ! )
This is why I never use the kill switch , unless I'm
descending a scary hill.
Yes I'm a wuss..
Mike from NC

·
Registered
21,380 Posts
Defeating side stand switch in an easy, reversible way is to simply short across the two leads from the side stand switch as they disappear into a female connector adjacent to left frame rail underneath the seat.
In past I've separated the male/female plug then inserted ~2" U-shaped bare thin copper wire into female plug half. Then re-inserting the male plug half leading from the side stand switch makes both a good electrical and mechanical connection.
This is also a quick way to for test side stand switch operation if you think it is the cause of an inexplicable no-start or no-run condition. i.e. if the jumper didn't solve the problem then the side stand switch is not the problem.

I put a piece of this wire to good use one night when it did solve the problem. A just-before sunset tip-over resulted in a no-start several hour fix-it session atop one of my favorite granite bouldery single tracks far from cell coverage or Mrs. Fred's loving arms (Her worry had made her mad when I finally made it home hours late...no loving arms for me:confused:). Normally a 14" piece ( now 12":)) of this soft copper wire joins both left and right side covers pulling their pointed tips inwards against the 4 gallon Clarke tank... keeps knees from snagging on side covers.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Defeating side stand switch in an easy, reversible way is to simply short across the two leads from the side stand switch as they disappear into a female connector adjacent to left frame rail underneath the seat.
In past I've separated the male/female plug then inserted ~2" U-shaped bare thin copper wire into female plug half. Then re-inserting the male plug half leading from the side stand switch makes both a good electrical and mechanical connection.
This is also a quick way to for test side stand switch operation if you think it is the cause of an inexplicable no-start or no-run condition. i.e. if the jumper didn't solve the problem then the side stand switch is not the problem.

I put a piece of this wire to good use one night when it did solve the problem. A just-before sunset tip-over resulted in a no-start several hour fix-it session atop one of my favorite granite bouldery single tracks far from cell coverage or Mrs. Fred's loving arms (Her worry had made her mad when I finally made it home hours late...no loving arms for me:confused:). Normally a 14" piece ( now 12":)) of this soft copper wire joins both left and right side covers pulling their pointed tips inwards against the 4 gallon Clarke tank... keeps knees from snagging on side covers.
Hopefully I will check into this this weekend when I have the seat off..

·
Registered
551 Posts
But then you can't do this...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But then you can't do this...
He didn't turn off the damn key...stupid is as stupid does
Hell I can do that without a fancy dismount....
Oops maddmavrick beat me to it

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I can find a sticker for the gas tank...
.......... TURN OFF THE DAMN KEY...........
to put under the one that says
.......... Turn the gas on dummy ..........,

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here you go then...at 5:35 minutes in. (TW200 content at 2:45 in) bloopers at 6:30.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Thankfully Ohio has NO requirements to "inspect" a mere Motorcycle...take your title in, get a license plate... 🤠

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When I moved to CO years ago - I was almost in tears when I heard that "inspection" was not a thing here. Does the VIN match the vehicle? Inspection complete!

·
Registered
597 Posts
We had our first car stolen a few months back. We are not city folks. We live a ways out. Can't see a neighbor. Someone came in and grabbed the keys out of the center console of my favorite mini van and took it for a month and a half.

It was easy for us to figure out a routine for the car and motorcycle keys after that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Idaho:
1. Possess vehicle.
2. Remit appropriate number of potatoes.
3. Exercise freedom.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Assuming that you lock your house doors, place your ignition & house key on the same keyring. You might forget it in the bike, but the problem will quickly become obvious.

Unless you're used to losing your house key and crawling in thru the window...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It's not a real good idea to defeat the kickstand switch. Do you know why it's there? It's a safety measure. If you ride away with the klckstand down and make a left turn, the stand will hit the ground elevating the rear wheel off the ground, and you know what?" Down you go.
Do not defeat or bypass the kickstand switch.
Just remember to use the key to shut off the bike.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
remember when our bikes didn't have kickstand, clutch and neutral safety switches..... how did we ever survive..... well I guess some must not have.....

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
I'm with troll on this one. When I started riding, the only safety was the ignition switch. Sure, you can take off with the side stand down, but you only ever did it once ......

1 - 20 of 39 Posts