TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I searched and found lots o about the kickstand kill switch, but nothing this simple.

New to me 2004 TW200, ran fine a few months ago...a buddy tried to start it recently and it would just crank and crank, bike was in neutral and on kickstand. I just figured it needed a carb rebuild and I ordered the parts. Now, I’m out of town for a week and it dawns on me that it’s got the kickstand switch.

I can’t remember, will it crank and not start or not crank at all with the stand down? Is my bike likely fine and I’m just a dummy who forgot about the switch when his buddy told him it wouldn’t start?

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 2020 will start and run with the kick stand down , I do it all the time...
Mike from NC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Workingman. Makes sense, I’m wondering if my older generation is different....

You’d think it would, right? So you could warm it up....I can’t remember if it’s a start thing or a shift into gear thing for my old bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks, Workingman. Makes sense, I’m wondering if my older generation is different....

You’d think it would, right? So you could warm it up....I can’t remember if it’s a start thing or a shift into gear thing for my old bike.
Maybe your friend forgot about the kill switch ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 2004 has behaved that way. I will verify. Symptom was no start with kickstand down, but once running you can put kickstand down and bike won't die.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Kickstand switch should work like the RUN switch if the kickstand is down with the bike in gear. It should stop the engine and not allow the starter to work.

Lots of stuff to unpack here with your described symptoms...

Was the battery fully charged? How old is the battery? -Anything but a fully charged battery in good condition man crank the engine too slowly for it to start. Expect to invest in a new battery every 3 years. Any extra time is a gift.

How much fuel was in the tank? -If it was not topped of, there was the opportunity for condensation/water to accumulate in the tank and since water is heavier than fuel the water goes to the bottom and is the first thing sent to the carb when trying to start, but water doesn't burn. Get in the habit of rocking the bike side to side a couple of times before turning the petcock on every time.

Was the fuel an ethanol mix? -A regular ethanol mix can assist the above issue and can cause issues within the carburetor and fuel system. Regular fuel can start to separate immediately and could go bad in a matter of months untreated. Consider running a non-ethanol fuel if readily available. www.pure-gas.org

Was the fuel treated before storage? If so, was the treated fuel ran through the carb before storage? -Doing this can reduce or eliminate the previous two issues.

Proper maintenance will save future hassles and headaches.

Another starting tip, especially after a bike has been in storage: reduce fiction from the clutch plates. With the bike in gear off before attempting to start, pull in the clutch lever and push the bike. Is it difficult? Go backward a few feet, then forward again and get those cluch plates separated and "unstuck". Finally, even in NEUTRAL, attempt to start the bike with the clutch lever pulled in. Why? These engines start best with a quick spin-up. The tiny battery needs all of the help it can get to do this. All of this will give it that help.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts