TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone so far for really sparking my interest in the TW200. I saw one on craigslist last week during a casual "i kind of want an enduro" search... did some homework that landed me on this forum, and decided to pull the trigger. So now, I have a 2004 with 2500 miles, with a 42 tooth on the back. First order of business was to take it to the spot I and a buddy used to ride dirtbikes as a kid :
Tw.jpg

This is quite an adjustment (I haven't ridden any sort of dirt bike in 20 years, and have since put my 2 wheeled miles on my '09 Buell 1125r, and '07 Softail FXST.)... next step is to put the 50 tooth back on and maybe explore some more suitable off road riding gear. So long as I can maybe still hit 60mph on occasion with the 50, I should have everything I need.

Here's the family now :::

bieks.jpg

Anyways : yeah. just wanted to thank you all. The wealth of information and conversation here is what convinced me to buy the TW and join your ranks. Thank you!

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Stupid? Naw.
New guy sound kind of smart to pick a TW and the plan to change sprockets sure is wise for most off-road riding. Existing drive chain may be (50-42)/2 links too short for the 40 to 50 tooth swap.
Welcome!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went from a 50 to a 45, and am still happy for the most part. Yesterday I did the 'hmm, I wonder if I can get through that trail..?'....and then on the way out the 'That trail seems better than the trail I came in on..(But oh man, it turned out to be wayyyy worse)' thing yesterday (first good ride with the 45)....and aside from that trail, I loved the 45.
Our highways are mostly 110km/h, so everybody's going at least like 73ish. I got the 45 because I wanted to be able to take the highway for a few miles if no other option was available. Honestly, it didn't gain much on the top end because it runs out of schnutz a little sooner but it'll do 110 and be revving a little lower, plus it's brought each other gear up a little so they seem more 'useable'.....and glomming through rutted, rooty trails and bushwhacking around fallen trees, I'd have removed the rear wheel right there in the woods and put the 50 back on if I'd had it with me. I'm likely a pretty crappy rider anyway, and more than once the clutch was telling me that it was time to take a little break. I had never had the TW through that tough of a trail before, but the way it felt, there would have been less clutch-riding and heat with the 50.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the 50 should be interesting once I get the chance to swap. I'm relatively ignorant but back when I was a kid it seemed my average use case off road (on a yamaha 100) was 1st being the "granny" gear for nothing but getting started or negotiating REALLY treacherous stuff, and 2nd being the gear with the most use cases. As it sits with the 42 on the back, it felt like 1st was still "granny-ish", but 2nd flat out lacked the power to get me through anything... and only had the speed to get myself into trouble.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We are building a decent size motorcycle "TW" gang here in NY. Where abouts are you located in western NY? If it were me I would put a 48 on the back and call it good. First gear with a 50 tooth just seems too low for our topography. Many, many opinions about gearing though so choose what works best for you.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Welcome!!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! We are building a decent size motorcycle "TW" gang here in NY. Where abouts are you located in western NY? If it were me I would put a 48 on the back and call it good. First gear with a 50 tooth just seems too low for our topography. Many, many opinions about gearing though so choose what works best for you.

Tom
Jamestown. The bummer for me is that the only buddy I have in the area into Enduros had to sell his last year. Aside from that, my other very close friend is a vagabond who lives on his KTM 640, and is currently down in Mexico.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
. First gear with a 50 tooth just seems too low for our topography.

Tom
You need to find so more challenging trails! But then again, I think I'm a few pounds heavier than you. (Had to say it before you did.:D)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya know with that TW, you are never going to ride that Buell anymore. How about I "store" it for you? ;)
I'll tell you, right after I got home after my afternoon ride on the TW, I hopped on the 1125r to run to Home Depot. It's a jarring difference when it'll go faster in 1st gear than the TW will go topped out in top gear. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nerd don't listen to any of these fellers, 12/55 Sprocket's is the only way to go. First gear is a Granny & second gear is first with a 4 speed. It so fun but the only problem might be top speed it about 38 Mph.
I have to Tw's set up this way, they sure are fun in the woods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nerd don't listen to any of these fellers, 12/55 Sprocket's is the only way to go. First gear is a Granny & second gear is first with a 4 speed. It so fun but the only problem might be top speed it about 38 Mph.
I have to Tw's set up this way, they sure are fun in the woods.
Holy Moly. In my area, I need the ability to hit 60 at least occasionally, otherwise i'll be promptly murdered by other motorists. I'm way too lazy to load it up into my truck and take it places that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ya I here you. I have mine licensed for off road only now days, I sometimes think about licensing one of them for the road again, If I ever do I will have to gear them way back up.
You know what would be so awesome would be if they came with a High/ Low range something like the old Honda 90's had. I think a 50% Lowering of the gears with the switch of a lever would be so fun.

Ill bet if one of you smart fellers out there were to invent a kit that would do this and could sell it for under $500 bucks you would not be able to make them fast enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I here you. I have mine licensed for off road only now days, I sometimes think about licensing one of them for the road again, If I ever do I will have to gear them way back up.
You know what would be so awesome would be if they came with a High/ Low range something like the old Honda 90's had. I think a 50% Lowering of the gears with the switch of a lever would be so fun.

Ill bet if one of you smart fellers out there were to invent a kit that would do this and could sell it for under $500 bucks you would not be able to make them fast enough.
I've taken a peek at the Dual Sprocket Thread here : http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/585-dual-sprocket-thread.html
.. but it sure looks like a bit of effort that i'm absolutely not capable of.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
It’s nice to have gearing that permits second gear trail cruising in whatever preferred terrain you ride. That way first can be a “fall-back” gear for when things turn nasty and you’ld like a little more torque multiplication and a few more nanoseconds to pick your line around, over, or under whatever the looming obsticle happens to be.
So the gearing really depends on your terrain. 45 to 50 teeth sprockets seem common but some forum members have 55,60,65 and even a 70 tooth rear sprockets for their TW Mules.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts