TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to make a post, just because I'm that Subaru geek.

I'm the proud owner of a fourth generation Forester, 6MT with the 2.5 DOHC; this is the 4th Subaru I've owned. I truly believe the active AWD system employed in all Subarus is by far, the best system for the money. The few systems that will beat a subaru are far more expensive, an Audi Quattro being one of them. Also to mention, since a Subaru uses a boxer type engine, it allows the engine and transmission to rest much lower in the vehicle which contributes to a much lower center of gravity, allowing the vehicle to handle very well around corners and traverse steep angles.

Subaru uses an active AWD system that is constantly giving power to all wheels, whereas many of the other AWD systems, such as Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Nissan, etc., use a reactive AWD system in which they are basically front wheel drive vehicle and if need be, will snap power to the rear wheels to assist in reduced traction scenarios. This makes quite a difference with the driving experience. It also makes quite a bit of difference for maintaining traction and momentum in deep snow or driving on an icy freeway at high speeds.

Although my 6 speed uses a 40/60 split, bias in the rear, which makes for a lot of fun with high speed dirt driving and drifting, it is limited as the 1st gear is not quite desirable for slow, technical hill climbs. Then again, I may be one of the few people to attempt to use a Subaru for what most would use a Jeep for.

Now, Subarus do have their issues to, like any other vehicle. Many of the earlier generations were plagued by poor head gaskets and the design flaw left many with overheated, warped heads. The problem has been corrected recently with the changes within the new FB engines - they also now have timing chains, instead of belts - FINALLY! I have come across and have been victim to a new, recent issue - high oil consumption. At 49,000 miles, I finally, after two years of constantly adding oil, had an oil consumption test conducted. As I expected, I failed miserably. One month later, I have a new short block with update oil control rings and I believe the problem to be resolved.

Anyway, I love my Subaru. I only wish it had a low range, like the older generations in Australia.

over and out.
Adam

·
Registered
928 Posts
A friend of mine just recently bought a Forrester after much deliberation and deep research. He uses his to go hiking. Most recently returned from the northern section of the Appalachian trail (he only has 300miles left to finish it), and totally praised how well it handled.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I am a Subaru guy as well, they are great cars. Particularly the all wheel drive system as you have indicated. Currently have a 2005 Impreza with 285000 km on the clock and a new 2016 Crosstrek with about 6000 km on the clock. The engines are a bit fragile, I have blown up two Impeza motors, one in a 1998 and one in the 2005. I think oil consumption might be common with these little motors.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, I really like the design of the XV, but I wanted the extra gear with the six speed and the 2.5 liter, instead of the 2.0. Being only about 300 lbs heavier than the XV, the extra 25 horsepower does increase the power to weight ratio quite a bit between the two.

Too bad you couldn't get a 2.5 6 speed XV. Or, better yet - a 2.5 turbo Forester 6 speed!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Adam, Glad to see you got the oil consumption problem fixed. We've had a few come in to our shop with that problem and Subaru is taking care of the problem. We love Subarus because customers like spending money on them! I worked in a Subaru dealership in the early 80's and they have come along way! Remember the Subaru Brat? The dealership I worked in was Jeep/Amc/Subaru and Renault. Subaru were easily the best made! We would have new Jeeps come in that they forgot to fill the trans with lube....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I thought about buying one of the vans one time. I bought a VW bug instead.

Okay, I am in this club too. :D

I have owned 8 Subarus over the many years, and loved getting the small badges to put on the tailgate area, showing how many oyu have owned, and all the things you are into, like hikinbg, and skiing, and photography, and rally sports, etc.

Adam, the USA also has Subarus in the old days that had the dual range 4WD trans. It had front wheel drive, 4 wheel high, and 4 wheel low.

And, i also owned a '82 Brat..among the many Subarus I have owned. But how many of you have ever seen, or driven, or owned a '68 Subaru 360 ?

That is a two stroke, 360cc car :D

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
My first issued work vehicle was a Brat. Loved everything about it but the mustard yellow paint. And it could occasionally have a hard time in mud carved ruts made by wider tracked full sized trucks. It carried me and a lot of cargo both delicate and heavy with never a problem
These days their add campaigns are extremely well done and target active young at heart people, like those who would buy a TW200;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I wish they would bring back the brat, what a cool little car (or ute maybe?)

The Baja was a real swing and a miss in my book, that bed was just too small to be very useful. I would have seriously considered one if it was a two door with a good sized bed instead of an outback with the roof over the rear cargo area removed. I think the regular outback is far more useful and versatile for most people.

We love our beater '71 El Camino, but it would be great to have something similar with modern reliability and AWD!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
We have a 15 outback. Ok car. Here in Wa on the west side the 4wd is just something you have to pay for. They are a good car and that's what she wanted so now one sits in the garage. I think the AWD in cars gives folks a deception they can stop quicker than the 2wd cars which gets them in trouble.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
We have a 2012 Outback. Great car.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
All of you Subaru drivers have contributed exactly ZERO to landfills with your purchases! Nice job. I admire them for that but have never owned one myself.

Tom

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here in Alaska you have to pay attention to where you park in a parking lot in a Suby.
When you come out 1 out of 4 cars will look exactly like yours.

My wife put a small stuffed animal (Polar bear of course) on the dash so she could identify her car.
This was after many times trying to unlock an identical car.
A friend even put custom stripes on her car to help.
All Suby owners here have had similar experiences it seems.

Old joke here:
Bank robbers run out of the bank, jump in their car and race away with the money.
The Police arrive a minute later and many witnesses in the parking lot point which way the thieves went.
The cops ask "what was the car?" and when the crowd all say "Blue Subaru! wagon" the cop's shoulders sag and they slowly walk into the bank.
When asked why aren't they chasing the robbers, the chief answers, "These are pro's, we'll never catch them".
The shocked crowd disperses and each one gets into their Subaru and drives away.

Our '98 Outback is one of many here, very many!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've owned... lessee... five? Subarus.

I had a 1988 XT6 4WD 5sp back in the early 1990s... then got my (then) wife a 1987 GL Wagon (automatic) around 2006. I then got myself a new 2008 WRX 5-door in 2008 and shortly thereafter a new 2009 Forester (base model) to replace the old GL wagon.

When we were splitting up, the 2009 Forester was sold and replaced with an older Forester... shit what year was that thing? 2001? I forget. 5sp. It was for her. She then sold it and got herself a yellow VW Beatle. Whatever.

My WRX got sold a few years ago when I was tired of having to go back for it everytime I relocated in the RV. Plus, the payment and insurance on it was money I was tired of spending. Was a fun car though. Modded it up to about 400 hp. I miss that car.

If I ever live in a "real" house again and have the time, space and money, I'd like to find a nice condition Baja and drop an STI powertrain into it. I'm sure it's already been done before, but that doesn't matter. I'd also consider doing an STI powertrain swap into an SVX. I don't care about keeping the 6-cyl motor in it... too weak by today's standards.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ Don - I agree with the Baja opinions, in that it's just not practical for what it was intended on being. I wish they would have thought more about it, instead of just modifying an outback by chopping the hatch off and creating a tiny bed.

@ RobG - I really liked the SVX's, I just wish that they came factory with manual transmissions. There was a conversion for sale here for a while years ago. I agree on that flat six that they used, just not good enough... I also really liked that goofy design of the Xt6, I believe this was Subarus first intro to AWD, before they fully transitioned from 4WD to AWD in the early 90's. I think it employed a full time 4WD, am I correct in thinking this?

I had the honor of owning a 91 Justy 4WD. Jeepers that thing could climb some steep hills! For only about 74 horsepower/lbs torque in a 3 cyclinder, is sure could off road. It did not even have a low range option. I think the size and weight of the vehicle was the main advantage.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you can't put horsepower to the ground it is of no use. My first love when I was a kid was a 42 ford military jeep. That thing would crawl around and leave the higher hp jeeps in the mud spinning the tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'll chime in on this one. We live out in the woods and pretty secluded. Some of my closer neighbors have always had Subarus. They have an old Forester with a gazzilion miles on it and still drive it daily along with some others. One of their sons has an older bug eye WRX. They have always sworn by these Subarus.

We bought a new 2013 Outback that actually had the rare 6 spd manual. Most were automatic. Great vehicle. It climbs our long hilly driveway in the snow better than my big 4X4 diesel trucks. No kidding. No exaggeration at all. Traction is excellent. I have always had a 4x4 be it a truck, 4 Runner, many Jeeps, a Land Rover discovery, etc; over the years. The Rover did very well also, but too nice to really off road. That said I'd not buy another one and I had a pretty trouble free 1998 I bought with 40K on it.

I could get the others thru much rougher terrain off road simply due to better clearance and such IMHO but the Subaru AWD system has been remarkably impressive in deep snow. I have trucks for the nasty stuff and the STI won't even be seeing snow anytime soon.

Now here is an update. In May of 2015 I bought a new STI. Unreal and silly fast out of the box just stock. If I recall it does 0-60 somewhere between 4.6 & 4.8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.1 stock. It is like a roller coaster on rails in the corners. I made the mistake of test driving one while the Outbacks oil was being changed for free and for lifetime of the car as long as we own it. The dealer threw in free oil changes and stuff on both the STI and WRX for life as well. The wife really loved her Outback but wanted something sporty and I wanted to keep her out of my STI garage puppy. She was getting mad I was being protective so I had to shut her up.

So in December we picked her up a new 2016 WRX. It is silly quick too but the STI is definitely the big dog comparatively speaking. 305 HP vs. 268 HP and a way better suspension, drive train, and braking system. That said if I had to pick on over the other and had to use it for a daily driver I'd go with the WRX. Much better road trip ride etc; the STI is tolerable but very stiff and not as comfortable or user friendly at all. more like a street legal rally race car. Basically what it is. haven't had a ticket in 15 years and scored one the 6th day I owned the damn thing. Wife was quick to point that one out while I was sitting there waiting on Johnny Rocket 5-0 KY State Trooper to finish typing the ticket up. Just hard to drive 55 unless you are just into 2nd gear. Did drivers school so no points off, insurance won't know, and ticket was cheaper. Oh well. They are not bad to insure at all. I'm 47 and she will be 43 in Sept and I have had USAA since 1987 though.

After we owned our Outback we are now sold on them. Great vehicles. Great quality comparatively speaking. On and on. We went with the Outback from seeing great reviews, it was AWD, and need something to haul three kids that were not big enough to be out of that back set. Now they are all big enough to ride up front so the wife has a new grocery getter. IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0675.JPG

Hers is silver and I can get some pics of it but I don't have any on my computer or in my phone. Looks the same except no rear tail but a small trunk spoiler. I was not to keen on the tail on the STI's for several reasons but that is how they come. It has grown on me too somewhat. I believe there are talks of being able to order without one in the future. I think it screams boy racer too much and catches the cops eyes very easily. The STI's are fairly hard to find on a lot and do not last long after they arrive. Both the STI and WRX are made and assembled 100% in Japan and are shipped over complete. I no longer care about my friend giving me grief about the tail and being juvenile because it is insanely fun and fast. Once I take them for a spin the jaw drops and they get real, real quite real quickly. LOL!

Mid-life? possibly and I could care less about that too. I'll admit since I bought this thing it has cut into quite a bit of riding time. Yes, It is that fun! Go getcha one boys. Many Subies carry a cult following status much like the T Dubs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts