TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an sudden onset sputter.

lets start with some recent history.
-left side cover came off last week for a neutral safety switch leak. ran great after that
-went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over atleast 6 times. ran great after all that
-washed the bike off with a hose when I got back. a little hard to start, but came to life anyway
-went out for a ride last night and it was a shit show. It warmed up alright, but after a few blocks it started bucking and sputtering under any load and would not continue down the road, but it would idle great. took it back home called it names and left it be.
this morning i drained the float bowl and it started right up and I hit the road. Unfortunately I got the same thing and had to limp it back home. I should add that if I pulled the choke partway on she would run half assed enough to get the few blocks back home. So I pulled the carb and oped it up to find a couple little flakes of something in the bowl. My suspicion is that they were sucking up into the main jet and that is why it would still idle. It now seems to run well with a little hesitation around 5k, but I think I may just be hyper sensitive at the moment. I wanna believe its fixed, but I'm a little worried about the electrical stuff. Any other key items I should check or just twist the throttle and grin when I hit 6th gear.

·
Super Moderator
18,136 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to yank the pilot jet out and make sure it isn't clogged too.

Gas filter clean? Air filter?

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
-went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over at least 6 times.
Might have just disturbed some crud in the tank that is now finding its way into the main jet - try running with a fuel filter and see if that sorts it out (after another carb clean)

and grin when I hit 6th gear.
Hell - if I could hit 6th on one of these things - I'd do that too ........

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the pilot jet already and blasted it out too. I have a fuel filer and It looks good. I have a clear tank and all looks good,But i know it doesn't take much. I may put a new filter in anyway as this one is oldish.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Just a thought, but is your pilot screw set to about 2 1/2 turns out. Both of my TW's had an ever so slight hesitation when the pilot screw was set at the stock setting. The only carb adjustment I ever made was turning them both out to 2 1/2 turns out and it corrected the hesitation in both cases. You probably have already dialed in your carbs prior to this, but something I hadn't seen you mention in your first post.

"It now seems to run well with a little hesitation around 5k, but I think I may just be hyper sensitive at the moment. I wanna believe its fixed, but I'm a little worried about the electrical stuff. Any other key items I should check"

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Fred's was doing this on the Russ ride his gas cap vent was plugged so try opening it next time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good ideas fellas. Pilot screw is appx 2.5 turns out and the needle has 3 shims under it. ill try the cap. Its a clark tank with the little shortie vent thing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
-went on a nutso ride a week ago that was muddy and I tipped over atleast 6 times. ran great after all that
-washed the bike off with a hose when I got back. a little hard to start, but came to life anyway
-went out for a ride last night and it was a shit show.

The air box has a drain, check that. Also check the air filter.
My first thought was some water and stuff may have been sucked into the air intake.

MAC

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I think shes cured back to what it was before. Ive put another hundred miles on it since I cleaned out the carb well and I think that was the ticket. I still have some hesitation at light throttle in the 4800-5200ish range. I think that this was there before, but it bugs me more now. I would guess that its probably needle height. when I changed from the 200 to the 225 I only changed the main jet one size larger. I am wondering if the needle needed a tweak too. It still has three shims under it. I won't hide from the truth that I'm not great at tuning carbs, although I seem to get things going eventually. I have had thoughts of dyno tuning for it since I went through the trouble of the 225. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. As always I appreciate all the help I can get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts