TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TW is running great but I recently purchased a TTR225, it wouldn't idle and popped a lot so I cleaned the carb, and adjusted the valves. After I cleaned the carburetor I tried to start the bike but the battery was dead. I used the battery off my Z 1000 Kawasaki, the TT-R225 started right up. After a few seconds I noticed a plastic or rubber burning smell. I shut the bike down and waited till the next day to put on the correct battery on. I rode it around a bit and it ran great. This weekend I took it for a couple hour ride and it was flawless. We took a road home and I opened it up and tested it's top speed. When I got back to the cabin the bike just started cutting out and died. It wouldn't even pop off a bit. It is not getting a spark at all. I tried a new plug and nothing.
Where do I begin? I have never tested electrical stuff on a bike before.
Would the different battery fry something on the smaller yamaha?
Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you, Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shut it off and tried to locate where it was coming from but couldn't and I tried to feel some of the electrical components for heat but didn't notice anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Since you smelled a burning smell I would visually inspect all major electrical components. I would start with the cheapest and easiest things first. Check the coil under the tank for any discoloration from heat. (The coil is attached to your spark plug wire) These are usually around $25. Check your cdi for similar heat damage or melting. The other main component that controls spark is your stator inside the side case of your engine, which you can't visually inspect without removing the case. A service manual may tell you how to test components using a multimeter. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I picked up a multi meter today but need to research how to use it properly.
This is a pretty good tutorial that gets right to the point. Heed what he says about how to connect the leads for different types measurements, and how measuring current is done.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I picked up a multi meter today but need to research how to use it properly.
This is a pretty good tutorial that gets right to the point. Heed what he says about how to connect the leads for different types measurements, and how measuring current is done. I would only add that it is smart to always start with the high range when measuring current. 400 milli amps is not very much and with some meters you blow the fuse if you exceed that by very much. If you get no reading, or a very small reading, then switch to the low range.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Don't see a battery, in and of itself, causing any kind of overheat condition, provided the battery was good to begin with. Battery will only provide what is drawn from it.

Now I did have a burning smell on Dubella, realized the 'relay' our whatever it is, just above the exhaust pipe, next to the carb was hanging down touching the hot pipe.

So make sure there is nothing touching any where along the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
So I just watched that video and there are a couple flaws in it. 1. An analog multimeter does still have a place in troubleshooting, so don't blow it off completely and it's still easily utilized. I still have one and have been in the avionics field for 25 years. 2. When measuring current, you don't necessarily 'cut the wire', dear God, you just need to put the meter in line with the circuit being tested. That could mean removing a pin from a connector instead of cutting wires. 3. If you ever have to measure current, which in most cases you shouldn't have to, be sure everything is connected, BEFORE turning it on. Then turn everything off before removing the meter. Avoid current measurements if you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the problem I think. Took all the stuff off the bike as I was about to check the coil with a multimeter. And noticed this coming from the cdi box. image.jpg so I'm going to guess that shorted something out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,346 Posts
Sorry if this sounds pissy! You specifically asked me to read your exact same post over in the Other Bike section. I did, I answered and it now appears my directions were spot on.

Why did you ask me specifically if you had no intention of taking my advice and instead post another same thread here in Tech?

GaryL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if this sounds pissy! You specifically asked me to read your exact same post over in the Other Bike section. I did, I answered and it now appears my directions were spot on.

Why did you ask me specifically if you had no intention of taking my advice and instead post another same thread here in Tech?

GaryL
First off Gary you nailed it thank you. You have helped me with every problem I have posted and I appreciate that very very much. I haven't been on the forum in a couple of days and just saw your post. I had started the same a post under the same thread 4 days earlier. I work long inconstant hours for work, and I also have simular posts on thumper talk, on the subject. I lack in patience and that is a fault of mine, I am aware and try to work on being better when I remember. I also have a very bad memory, I may have knowingly killed more brain cells than I should of in the years I knew everything. I also quit drinking over a year ago and this spring bought the TW, and started to learn(slowly) how to fix it . Which is credit to this forum. I have even started a thread thanking you. I have found I like this hobby and have jumped all in. I now have 6 bikes, and 3 of them I'm fixing up and posting on other forums. So I don't remember all that I start, and in what order.
That being said I was about to go work on the bike and was cruising the forum and saw you were on keep it simple, so I created a new thread and asked you to look at it and you did, and you diagnosed the problem and I found it when got all the covers and tank off the bike. In the mean time there was a post or two on the original thread I started. So when I went to post the picture, when the forum comes up on my phone it auto refreshes the active topics. I clicked on the top one not considering which thread it was and posted the pic. Then I started the bike took it for a ride and put it back in the garage so I could spend some time with my beautiful girlfriend I was neglecting. I even told her someday I want to shake your hand, and how you are calm and intelligent your posts are in those off topic threads that get o.c. Real quick, that's why I stay away from those. I was not trying to snub or discredit you at all, if you know anything about me by now from helping me these past 5months this would make sense.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top