TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 ttr225 it ran decent once warm. I changed the oil and oil filter, cleaned the air filter. And took it for a good ride. It would pop on decel or down hills a bit and didn't always idle great. So I cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves. I went to start it up and the battery was dead. So I unhooked it and put it on a trickle charger. In the mean time I took my battery off my Z1000 and used it to start the bike, it started right up but after a few seconds of running I noticed a burning smell rubber or plastic if that makes sense. I shut the bike off and tried to locate the burning smell but could not figure anything out. I hooked the normal battery up after it was charged but could not get the screws to tighten at the terminals tight because they were stripped. I tried to start it anyways and the positive terminal just sparked a few times. So I got new screws and tightened it correctly and it started right up and ran great. I took it to the cabin rode it all day. On the way back from the trails I took the road a few miles and opened it up for a top speed run. When I got back to the cabin the bike was idling and started cutting out and died. I started it back up and drove back to the garage 100 ft. And it died and would not fire up again. It doesn't seem to get any spark at all. I put on a new plug, but no spark. I bought a multimeter and am going to try and learn how to use it.
I need any advice, or tips on where I should start diagnosing the problem. If anyone has had a simular situation tell me how you fixed your problem. All comments are appreciated. Thanks Rob

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Diagnosing from here is difficult. The burning rubber/plastic smell is suspect! What you describe makes me tend to think you have a bad ground or intermittent short somewhere. I would start checking wires at the battery and then in to the electrical side panel and then up behind the headlight. Lastly, if the TTR is like a TW I would look at the wires from the engine side cover that go up to the battery. I don't know the TTR but TWs have wires that get pinched when some change the front sprockets. You are searching for melted wires or chaffing where a wire might be touching bare metal. Check all the grounds. If the TTR is like a TW it will have a ground under the tank where the coil is attached.

A bike that runs good sometimes and at other times starts popping and sputtering makes me think electrical rather than carburetor. I would be checking every wire and every connection from one end to the other. Your battery drained and went dead for some reason and when you put a fully charged battery on line you smelled burning. Find the culprit!

GaryL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery went dead because I left the ignition on when I was cleaning the carb which took care of the popping and bad idle. There is no headlight but I assume it still drains the battery since it has a key ignition switch. The battery is fine and still holds a charge. I was wondering if hooking a battery from a bigger street bike still 12volt could harm the electrics or cause a burning smell?

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
12 Volts is 12 volts and it does not matter what size battery it comes from. You could run it on a full size car battery and it would make no difference as long as there is no short. The larger/stronger battery might only have a good deal more juice that could produce the burning smell. You have a short somewhere!!!!!!!

GaryL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts