TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether Left or Right, political posts add nothing to a Motorcycle forum.

They only serve the posters point of view, completely devoid of motorcycle content.

It has nothing to do with free speech on a privately owned forum.

There are plenty of other places on the Internet for those people to express their views.

On the TW Forum, it only serves to drive away new and existing members.

jb

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Whether Left or Right, political posts add nothing to a Motorcycle forum.

They only serve the posters point of view, completely devoid of motorcycle content.

It has nothing to do with free speech on a privately owned forum.

There are plenty of other places on the Internet for those people to express their views.

On the TW Forum, it only serves to drive away new and existing members.

jb
Very very good point JB.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree and have no issues with banning all of these.

However, if we have an Off-Topic area for all of this we can ask, request that these types of blatant opinions are put in this area.
Then, I just choose not to venture over into any of that. Which I do often.

However, freedom of speech comes into play as well.

What's best? Well, keeping this the best forum on the net for motorcycles and our TW's setting a standard of excellence for being a motorcycle that draws really nice folks together
to discuss what we love.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree and have no issues with banning all of these.

However, if we have an Off-Topic area for all of this we can ask, request that these types of blatant opinions are put in this area.
Then, I just choose not to venture over into any of that. Which I do often.?
The problem is when you click Active Topics, posts from all forums are displayed, whether you want to see them or not.

Members who continually post their political points of view, and little else, add nothing to the Forum.

jb

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have no regard for what others post as I always have the choice not to read it. If a moderator decides to moderate, who cares. He is not going to burn your house down. He will just delete a post. If you cross a line the sanction could be a deletion, a PM addressing it, double secret academic probation, suspension, ban, a lifetime one horsepower reduction from any exaggeration I make about my TW.... Leave the site alone. We have millions of posts that go by without incident. When there is an incident, let the moderator moderate and just move on. If I come to the conclusion that the forum is comprised of life support systems for rectums I can always leave and never come back. Who would want to be on a forum that deletes whatever you say? What statement in regards to a 13 h.p. piece of machinery warrant this type of attention? Leave the place alone. Let people come and go and write as they want with the moderator moderating and let's go on.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Limiting permissible content is a slippery slope. Sure we could take opinions to another politically themed internet site but what if one's goal is to share something with those we feel we have developed a relationship with? If I wanted to just shout something anonymously into the either I could just post a blog the world can then ignore. th-3.jpeg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Members who continually post their political points of view, and little else, add nothing to the Forum.
So a member who comes in here to talk with his friends about whatever is on his mind (and theirs) is wasting the forum's time and bandwidth? Even though that member might post a ride report a couple times a year, and maybe the occasional tech tip?

If the answer to that is that I (or whoever) should only post when I have a ride report or tech tip to post, why would I spend most of my time somewhere else but then see it as my duty to come over here and post when I have something you may consider useful?

No flame intended; just trying to make a point.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Guys, it's not the political discussions per se that are the problem. It's the personal attacks on each other *within* those topics that is. All I've said is that if some here find it utterly impossible to post in political threads without turning on someone, then their contribution to those threads is an overall negative to the community.

Politics, in the best of times, is a difficult conversation. These are most certainly NOT the best of times, politically...I don't think any of you disagree with that statement. BUT, there's no reason to start keyboard fistfights in here over it.

EDIT: 100th post! yay me!

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Guys, it's not the political discussions per se that are the problem. It's the personal attacks on each other *within* those topics that is. All I've said is that if some here find it utterly impossible to post in political threads without turning on someone, then their contribution to those threads is an overall negative to the community.
Politics, in the best of times, is a difficult conversation. These are most certainly NOT the best of times, politically...I don't think any of you disagree with that statement. BUT, there's no reason to start keyboard fistfights in here over it.
EDIT: 100th post! yay me!
This is a light hearted joke.. So.. before anyone gets all worked up. ;)

Maybe a Liberal "Safe Place" is needed for the thin skinned.. I vote for a "Safe Place"! A multi colored "Rainbow" sub-forum LOGO and all. We could banish people there.! hahaha OK. I'll stop now.

J/K I wish your 100 posts could all be fun, been there done that. Thanks your a good egg.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Come on guys "Off Topic is Off Topic". It makes this forum interesting and I enjoy it. Let's be serious here, MOST bikers have some Rebel traits and I'm for talking about anything in Off Topic while curtailing the personal attacks.

Have a great day!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I won't say a word either way on the subject.

I just want to hang out, shoot the breeze with my friends and NOT HAVE TO MODERATE ANYTHING or ANYONE.

Let's keep it a nice place to hang out, that's all.

I "like" all of you folks out there, well with the exception of perhaps one unnamed member.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would agree with the above. Even when you strongly disagree, it is unnecessary to disparage another human being.

However I would also say that saying that banning conversations about politics, because it doesn't have anything to do with motorcycles, is kind of extreme. Different points of view, opinions, or even fundamental ways of looking at life add spice to a community. As such I would say banning, would DETRACT from this site.

I had an uncle who was a bit, uncouth, you know, not rude, but the hey kid pull my finger kind of uncouth. So while some (usually the moms) found him offensive, he was the life of the party to all of us kids. Diversity and even a bit of offensiveness can be the spice of life!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
What?????? LT likes everybody! Say it ain't so. lol I have no problem with people posting political views. God knows we all have them. And I love it when someone posts that they are going to be a Dad or Grandpa, or Mom or Grandma. Or that their favorite old bike was a Jawa or Penton or even a DKW. Or even the dreaded OIL THREAD. lololol I agree with most regarding the bashing of persons because they don't agree with my far right, gun toting, bible thumping ideals. We know they are wrong, and just don't realize it yet. lol So the slippery slope isn't one I think we should take. So let's just keep on keepin' on, and enjoy one of the best sites on the planet. Oh, and I'm gonna figure out how to post pics and show you guys my very cool '72 GMC short wide pick up that I'm bringing back to life.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I joined this forum I was surprised that personal opinions were allowed... Whether politics or other subjects. I like the back and forth of the L and R..... I am Right but lean Libertarian. I have a couple of Left friends and you can NOT have a discussion with them... Why? Every time you ask them a question about what they said the s hits the fan. Usually because they can not back up what they say.

So it is nice to see posts made by both sides and see how some respond. I agree that flaming and name calling is not in the best interest of the forum and editing or deleting a post is healthy.

Heck, sometimes guys get heated just about a technical subject... Thanks to a couple of guys on the forum usually step in and will make a "calm down" post...hahahaaaa

I am thankful for this forum...

Jim

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
There's just no easy solution to the issues within political discussions. I'm asking....again...for the members to control themselves when getting involved in these discussions. Whether politics becomes an 'off limits' topic depends ENTIRELY on whether that's possible or not. It's up to y'all. As LT has said, neither of us want to restrict what's discussed here...that's not what we're here for. But we have to do something to stop the insults, and since they mostly occur within political discussions, that seems to be the fairest way to stop it. But if y'all can control yourselves, it won't have to happen at all.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts