TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my brand new Tdub tonight. Only rode around for a couple of miles. Has about 4 miles on it. Looking to break it in right for many years of enjoyment. I know you all really know these bikes and can give me some great pointers for getting optimal longevity out the Tdub.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There are several trains of thought with regards to "break in"...here are a few:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/busting-engine-break-in-myth/

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/the-proper-procedure-for-breaking-in-your-motorcycle

https://fortnine.ca/en/break-new-motorcycle

And this one: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power which I used to break in my DR650 when it was new...

Everyone insists THEY have the right method....
The underlying tone to a few of these methods is that the manufacturer's specify a slow, progressive break-in not just for the engine's sake but also for the new tires, brakes, clutch and so forth...not to mention that this might be the owner's first, so jumping on and taking off at 80 mph might not be the best idea.
Before I encountered the Motoman's break-in procedure (which makes some sound points) I have always taken the engine home and driven it like I will on a daily basis. Having said that, I think it's a good (even GREAT) idea to change out the oil several times during the break-in process...it can't hurt.
...And the nonsense about NOT using synthetic oil for break-in, is just that....nonsense, although I have to admit that when following the Motoman process, I did use dino for the first 500 miles...but synthetic oil wasn't really a "thing" back when I bought my first new car...or both new trucks...when it comes to oil, you'll get as many opinions as there are posters. Just choose a quality oil, synth or dino and change it often.

For the record, I wasn't the original owner of my 2001 TW that I purchased several years ago, so I had no control over the break in period for that one.
Yet, using ONLY synthetic oil and changing it often, that same bike (different owner) now has over 50,000 km on it today...and is still in use.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
It's simple. Don't get it real hot, like climbing long steep hills in first gear at 95 degrees, don't wind it out too much while accelerating, like only to upper mid-range, don't lug it, vary the RPM's often if you are in 5th, and change the oil and wash the oil filter at 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 miles. Don't be surprised at the amount of aluminum in the filter in the first few changes. There are several pictures in here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several trains of thought with regards to "break in"...here are a few:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/busting-engine-break-in-myth/

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/the-proper-procedure-for-breaking-in-your-motorcycle

https://fortnine.ca/en/break-new-motorcycle

And this one: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power which I used to break in my DR650 when it was new...

Everyone insists THEY have the right method....
The underlying tone to a few of these methods is that the manufacturer's specify a slow, progressive break-in not just for the engine's sake but also for the new tires, brakes, clutch and so forth...not to mention that this might be the owner's first, so jumping on and taking off at 80 mph might not be the best idea.
Before I encountered the Motoman's break-in procedure (which makes some sound points) I have always taken the engine home and driven it like I will on a daily basis. Having said that, I think it's a good (even GREAT) idea to change out the oil several times during the break-in process...it can't hurt.
...And the nonsense about NOT using synthetic oil for break-in, is just that....nonsense, although I have to admit that when following the Motoman process, I did use dino for the first 500 miles...but synthetic oil wasn't really a "thing" back when I bought my first new car...or both new trucks...when it comes to oil, you'll get as many opinions as there are posters. Just choose a quality oil, synth or dino and change it often.

For the record, I wasn't the original owner of my 2001 TW that I purchased several years ago, so I had no control over the break in period for that one.
Yet, using ONLY synthetic oil and changing it often, that same bike (different owner) now has over 50,000 km on it today...and is still in use.
Thanks so much TW in BC! Great info there. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's simple. Don't get it real hot, like climbing long steep hills in first gear at 95 degrees, don't wind it out too much while accelerating, like only to upper mid-range, don't lug it, vary the RPM's often if you are in 5th, and change the oil and wash the oil filter at 100, 250, 500, and 1,000 miles. Don't be surprised at the amount of aluminum in the filter in the first few changes. There are several pictures in here.
Thank you sir. Great advice!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Feel like the most important thing is to change the oil and clean the filter often. Tgegears and engine are in a process of wearing down imperfections and this creates pueces of tiny metal.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
I ride new bikes like somebody else paid for them! :D Actually I would ride it like you normally would for the reason that you bought it! I would also change the oil and clean the oil filter frequently like at 100, 300, 600, 1000 miles then about every 1k miles after that. It's only a quart of oil!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ride new bikes like somebody else paid for them!
Actually I would ride it like you normally would for the reason that you bought it! I would also change the oil and clean the oil filter frequently like at 100, 300, 600, 1000 miles then about every 1k miles after that. It's only a quart of oil!
I think I will do oil changes on exactly those mileage numbers. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Rocky, I have to get the material out of there through frequent oil changes initially.👍

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
All good advice so far and I am a full believer in switching over to full synthetic oil as soon as you dump the original Yamalube it came with. Depending upon your planned use for this TW there are some other things to think about. If you are all or mostly on the hard surface roads then the front Trail Wing tire is a decent tread but if you plan to go off road it will quickly show you why we nicknamed it the "Death Wing". If I bought a brand new TW my very first upgrade and I do mean right now would be to yank that cheap roller chain and buy a DID VX X ring chain size 428 with 122 links. It will save you many hours and way more than it costs because you won't have to adjust it constantly and you won't have to oil it and sling chain lube all over the entire rear that you will want to clean plus your sprockets will last 3-5 times as long.

GaryL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I bought a brand new TW my very first upgrade and I do mean right now would be to yank that cheap roller chain and buy a DID VX X ring chain size 428 with 122 links. GaryL[/QUOTE]
I put the chain on my Amazon list. $78.00. Not bad. I will do that by the spring. Thanks Gary!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could also just follow the break in recommendation in the manual.
Ride it easy and heat cycles are good. The TW engine is very low tech so really nothing special and they have been trucking the same since 86’ with high miles reported so basically they survive all different kinds of break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
MD2020 said:
I put the chain on my Amazon list. $78.00. Not bad. I will do that by the spring. Thanks Gary!
Watch your prices when it comes to Amazon....they have great delivery times and the return policy is good, but sometimes their prices are out to lunch.
I see that you're in the lower 48, so you should check out ProCycle...Bike Bandit...or Rocky Mountain ATV for starters. There are also other vendors for hard-to-get parts, like Partzilla....Dennis Kirk....Stadium Yamaha....and there are dozens of others...you guys in the US are lucky.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You could also just follow the break in recommendation in the manual.
Ride it easy and heat cycles are good. The TW engine is very low tech so really nothing special and they have been trucking the same since 86’ with high miles reported so basically they survive all different kinds of break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah mikidymac, you are right, and I like what the manual has to say...with the exception of oil change recommendation. The manual says 600 miles, but several people on this post have made a good point about getting rid of the metal shaving much sooner than that. That makes sense to me. I'm going to change my oil at 100, 250, 500, etc... for the first 1,000 miles. Oil is cheap.😀 There are many other solid recommendations here that I plan to follow as well, all in addition to the manual.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MD2020 said:
Watch your prices when it comes to Amazon....they have great delivery times and the return policy is good, but sometimes their prices are out to lunch.
I see that you're in the lower 48, so you should check out ProCycle...Bike Bandit...or Rocky Mountain ATV for starters. There are also other vendors for hard-to-get parts, like Partzilla....Dennis Kirk....Stadium Yamaha....and there are dozens of others...you guys in the US are lucky.
Thanks for the info TW in BC! I will check them out. 👍

·
Registered
29 Posts
I changed my oil at 300 miles when the bike was new to me and that was the original oil. There was only a little bit of stuff on the filter so on mine there would have been no reason to do it before that. In my opinion 300 and 600 mile oil changes would be plenty.

I would wager more than 95% of TW’s on the road didn’t get an oil change any earlier than the recommended 600 miles and are perfectly fine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts