TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I'm an 18 month rider with a 2012 TW-200 that is bone stock other than an added kick starter. I would like recommendations on brand and line of weather gear for rain riding. Thanks in advance.
73 de KS4TI
Doug Williams

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I bought mine at West Marine sometimes it nice to walk into a store and try something on.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Are you looking for strictly rain gear to only wear when it rains or for something more versatile that could also be worn all the time for protection(my suggestion since i believe in safety gear)?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Frog Toggs work well and pack nicely if you're just looking for an outer shell.
For everyday use the Scorpion XDR jacket paired up with a set of Cortech overpants has kept me mostly dry.

Bear in mind that the 'waterproof-ness' usually only lasts so long without treating with ScotchGuard or equivalent spray.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Frogg Toggs work well, but you will still likely end up with a wet crotch. It's almost impossible to avoid, even with more expensive rain gear. It's just not meant for submersion, which tends to happen on a motorcycle seat. Now, the TW's being the shape that it is, will probably be better than others (e.g. my V-Strom), but still, expect it, and bring a spare pair of underwear just in case. :)

Also keep in mind that most gear advertised as "waterproof" is, but only to a point. In a huge downpour for an extended time, you may end up damp. That's why real rain gear is the best choice if you're going to do long-distance touring. It's just annoying to have to stop and put it on, then stop and remove it afterward.

·
Registered
13,793 Posts
We bought Frogg Toggs too, but wife only used for wind so far. Do you have to treat these with waterproof stuff?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Right on with the stuff needing to be breathable. Otherwise you just sit in there and stew in your own sweat. Without the "breath-ability" you might as well not have any 'rain gear' on at all - at least you won't stink. :p

Ok, so we have gear and boots...Gloves, anyone?
I gave up on finding a good set that fit and just carry a spare pair :(

·
Registered
667 Posts
*intently reading posts* I'm wanting rain gear too, and was looking at Frogg Toggs, everyone I know swears by 'em. My cold weather jacket and gloves are waterproof, but that doesn't help me in the summer. I want to ride to work even if there's a chance of showers in the afternoon and have something in my saddle bags in case it does rain. Or if I am going out for a long ride on an "iffy" weather day, etc.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Speaking of boots... my "road" boots are an pair of Sedici ones I got from CycleGear on Black Friday a couple years ago. They're a CycleGear brand, and normally list for I think $179, but I think I got these for $79. They have a LIFETIME warranty (which is very unusual; even Sidi only has a one year warranty), and they've already replaced them once because they stopped being waterproof after the first season. But since then, they've been great.

My touring boots are Sidi Adventures (the Gore Tex version) and they're fantastic. Super comfy, definitely waterproof, but $$$. I got mine from a shop in Germany and was able to get them for a lot less than list; but I think Sidi found out about that and they can no longer ship them to the US.

For gloves, I have a nice pair of mid-weights from First Gear, and my heavy weights are also First Gear, but they're heated.. they go with my heated jacket liner. Wonderful if you do a lot of riding in the cooler months. None of my summer gloves are waterproof, though. I'm not sure if the TW's electrical system is strong enough for heated gear, so those will only get used on my DR and V-Strom.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Was inspired by this thread (& recent events) to go through my box of bicycling gear, and discovered that my old rain jacket fits over my motorcycle jacket like it was made for it. Hi-viz yellow, reflective stripes, vented, and I know it's waterproof. *Snoopy dance*

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lots of options out there, but when my first gear gave up the ghost. I wasn't going to fork out 500 or so to replace it. For about 200 bucks you can get pants and jacket at cycle gear. What ever you do don't use it until you treat it with Nikwax. Treat them about twice a year and you will stay bone dry unless you out in it and its coming down hard for awhile. Been riding a good long time and ride year around other than snow, ice and heavy wind. Is the only rules I have. Nikwax rocks when you use it properly. Evev Big Mo stays dry unless I'm getting pounded for awhile. Again you have to use Nikwax. Sure you can get it on Amazon. And you can really extend the life of your gear. And as long as you live and breath never leave Stevenson Wa. On a beautiful sunny summer morning go up hwy 14 then cut up north to Mt Adams, but if you do just make your way back through the Gifford the scenery if incredible and you will not end up using 7 of your 9 life's riding back in the Columbia River Gorge. I'm just saying you may not live to tell the tale about how cool Mt Adams is but you'll for sure want to go back to Trout Lake for a Huckleberry Shake. Was the only thing that kept me from road kill. I was going to make it home just so I could go back another day. That truck driver behind me must have had a good time waiting to see if I would be blown into the rock walls or blown into the Columbia with 6 foot white cap's. Shit even the board's didn't go out that day, other than the few Bat Shit Crazy people like me. Oh ya Nikwax.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am tickled with my Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece suit. I wear it in all weather. I don't ride for more than 30 minutes or so if it is raining, but I have yet to get wet while wearing it. And or course it is an outstanding general riding suit. I added the optional back pad which I think is a really good idea. Love the pockets and the shoulder, knee, and elbow pads. It is quite heavy and I feel very secure in it.

My only regret is I didn't buy one decades ago.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am tickled with my Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece suit. I wear it in all weather. I don't ride for more than 30 minutes or so if it is raining, but I have yet to get wet while wearing it. And or course it is an outstanding general riding suit. I added the optional back pad which I think is a really good idea. Love the pockets and the shoulder, knee, and elbow pads. It is quite heavy and I feel very secure in it.

My only regret is I didn't buy one decades ago.[/QUOTE

A big + 1 for the Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Also their Combat Touring boots will keep you safe & dry.
The suits thigh pocket holds a Glock 27 nicely & the sleeve pocket is perfect for a couple of mags too.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Greetings from an ECU Pirate, KS4T1! I still make it down East every few years even though I live someplace much drier now.

Seeing as how you live somewhere where it rains a lot, the price of KLIM gear might be well worth the investment. Aerostich is awesome gear too, especially the Darien line if you're looking for waterproof, but I think Klim is a better value when you consider that they have modern, integrated armor included in the purchase price.

Frogg Toggs stowed in a pannier or pack to slip on over mesh gear isn't a bad way to go either, though.

At 70-100% humidity you're gonna be sweating no matter what you wear though, amirite?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
When it comes to rain gear I like the light weight packable gear. I chose Grunden Cage jacket and Pants. It also doubles as a windbreaker when I'm out riding and the temp drops. Check out the reviews on YouTube.

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a rain suit but is so dam big and bulky I only bring it on extended trips. Thanks for the Frogg Toggs tip, Ill think Ill pick a set up. Are any of them better than others (in the frogg togg line)?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I ride in south east Virginia. The humidity here is a killer in the summer time. Riding year round, all weather, I've gone through a LOT of rain gear. Best thing to wear is something High Viz so idiots don't run you over.

In the wintertime, I swear by good old-fashioned PVC rainsuits from Wally-world. They're cheap and will keep you bone dry and warm.

In the summertime, though, Frogg Toggs are okay for quick runs to the store or a short commute. But as stated above, much longer than that and your butt will be wet. Also, don't sit on an already wet seat... they'll soak right through.

The latest gear is an inexpensive set from Rev'it. The high-vis coat is made to go over your motorcycle jacket, and the pants are the best I've worn to date. I still wipe off the seat with a spare towel before sitting, and so far have had great success. The coat has number RN109287 on the tag. The pants are "Olympia Moto Sports", EZ-Pack System (the back of the pants has a pocket that the pants can roll themselves into).

As a matter of fact, I'm about to go to work on the bike now.

In the rain.

The. $%#! Damned. Rain.

It really needs to NOT rain anymore.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Last year I got caught in a thunderstorm where I pulled over and sat in the woods for 45 minutes. It was a trenchel downpour and I stayed dry except for my feet and hands
I bought these boot coverups at a motorcycle show a couple months ago.

image.jpg image.jpg
[video]http://www.exigentbikecovers.com/mobile/[/video]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Tour Master Sentinel Rain Jacket - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

This is the gear Ive been using for many years. Works well. I spray mine with waterproof spray also.

Amazon.com: Star brite Waterproofing With PTEF 1 Gallon: Sports & Outdoors

I use this spray on my boat. I always keep a ziplock in 1 of my jacket pockets also If Im going thru a major downpour and don't want the chance of my wallet/phone getting wet. A good waterproof bag is also important.

Bass Pro Shops Extreme Boat Bags | Bass Pro Shops

And keep a dry small towel in your bag to dry off your self when you get to your stop. Also good idea to rain-x your helmet shield if you have 1.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts