TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Ride the Big Sur Coastline.
Or
50/50,mix of dirt and back road blacktop figure 8 or simple loop from hwy20 above Nevada City through North Bloomfield hydraulic gold mining district up to Granitevile, then down to Washington on the Yuba River, then climb back to 20. Then east to Bowman Lake Road, back to Graniteville and then back to starting point. All intermediate riding but just south of 20 is Chalk Bluff with an alleged 100+ miles of single track trails.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Sierra Buttes and the Gold Lake District has awesome scenery with only moderately difficult roads. Located up HWY89 beyond Downieville and just north of Babbit and Sierra City.

The road from Sierra City climbing up to fire lookout tower is a steep multi-switchbacked road that will make you feel you have earned the views from atop the most spectacular fire lookout tower imaginable. sierra-city-ge.jpg Sierra-Buttes-Fire-Outlook-38.jpg
From the lookout tower the views of Gold Lake Basin are very nice, and ridge line roads extend to the north then descend to several of the many lakes visible from up high. SierraButtesNorth.jpg images-4.jpeg images-2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would love to get in a late summer ride. Maybe all camp Friday nite, long ride Saturday and head back home sunday whenever.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm interested! I would also put in a suggestion of the Mendocino / Lake county area, I don't have any routes in mind, and I would be sure to get us all lost... Jomama knows a few great roads & trails that would fit all skill levels. (hint hint) :D m.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Western States Trail might be too challenging for it's full length. I have ridden part of it in the higher elevations around French Meadows,very nice. The very steep sections on western end around Auburn are not for the timid for sure. profile-map.jpg

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
The road from Georgetown to Wentworth Springs and terminus of Rubicon trail might be good one if combined with some diversions to Loon Lake and other side roads. ( See south end of above map).

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
One more suggestion, this one with lower elevations and higher humidity:
Santa Cruz Mountains and the coastal side of Peninsula's coast range.
As elime can attest there is lots of back country two lane blacktop just too darn twisty and slow for the sport car an sport bike community that dominate Skyline ( HWY35?) and HWY9 into Boulder Creek. For instance continuation of Page Mill Road west of Skyline ( Alpine Road) deteriorates into second and third gear twists down through Pescadero and on to the coast. alpine road.jpg

Nearby Butano and Big Basin parks have redwoods galore and pleasant camping...or just everyone park in Tony's driveway overnight:p
I could recommend some roads but it has been awhile. For instance Gazos Creek road used to be dirt up to and into Big Basin and open to the public. Paved now, but as photo shows it is an idyllic easy cruise from ocean up to redwood groves. Gazos Creek.jpg

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Maybe Mel knows if the Needles Look-out tower has been rebuilt after this fire some years ago. He should know that area. That is another dramatic accessible look-out that could be a good ride destination.. 210968_30037_L.jpg

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Maybe Mel knows if the Needles Look-out tower has been rebuilt after this fire some years ago. He should know that area. That is another dramatic accessible look-out that could be a good ride destination.. View attachment 37457

That doesn't look good! If it's been rebuilt it would be a scary one to walk around! Yikes!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
could be difficult to get the TWs up those stairs!!

1 - 20 of 233 Posts