TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longest day of the year will be next week between the 20th and 22nd depending on where one is in the northern hemisphere.
Can you think of better excuse to go for a long ride?

Y’all been notified so start planning your ride or else a good excuse.:p Life is not a practice, live it to the fullest.
If you can’t ride do something else worthy, like tell those you love that you love them. Last Friday a friend’s 15 year old daughter was run over and killed; bet he wished he could have given her one last hug.
Carpe diem!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Longest day of the year will be next week between the 20th and 22nd depending on where one is in the northern hemisphere.
Can you think of better excuse to go for a long ride?

Y’all been notified so start planning your ride or else a good excuse.:p Life is not a practice, live it to the fullest.
If you can’t ride do something else worthy, like tell those you love that you love them. Last Friday a friend’s 15 year old daughter was run over and killed; bet he wished he could have given her one last hug.
Carpe diem!
We talked about this the other day on the phone...my days are leaving me...no time to ride, less time to farm, less time to get my job done....Headlamp time I guess...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tommorrow I think I’ll scout but mostly skirt more of the Western States Trail before the coming weekend when the 100 mile single track footrace occurs...go before they pound the trail to dust.

The Western States ® 100-Mile Endurance Run is the world’s oldest 100-mile trail race. Starting in Squaw Valley, California near the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics and ending 100.2 miles later in Auburn, California, Western States, in the decades since its inception in 1974, has come to represent one of the ultimate endurance tests in the world”

I’m preparred to see a lot of damage from a large regional fire ( Rim Fire?) a few years ago. The smokey 10 mile or so of ridgline single track not closed by fire I rode then was very impressive.
Have to enjoy the longest day, there are countless miles of roads, trails and 49-er artifacts along the Forest Hill Divide and Mosquito Ridge areas.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Michael, you’ll miss the solstice on the Iron Butt.
No one should endurance race on anything but the longest day.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They say getting there is half the fun...but first you have to get there.
The straight route to my intended camp and riding area fell apart after about 15 miles.

Snow stopped me about 10 air miles from camp, so I backtracked and drove van another 95 miles to get to top of Foresthill Divide.

Guess you could say my camp was at the snow line.
:D

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
The GPS tried to warn me things were going slowly.
Snow was pretty...

...until it blocked my way.

Drive had pleasant diversions

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Wow! Beautiful ride, camping, exploring etc...

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Most of my riding was off a long 140 mile plus loop of Forest Hill & Mosquito Ridge mostly twisty blacktop roads. Characterized by long ridge lines seperating deep, steep canyons hosting wild and scenic forks of the American River the region is rich in ’49-er gold mining history but short on easy access. Some jeep roads exist but usually as the terrain rolls off and drops into the canyons the trails become rather steep and narrow, something StinkyJack the Prospector and his mule could negotiate, or maybe push a wheelbarrow. As a result there are modern ORV motorcycle areas like China Wall that just got too steep for me by myself.

I would have wanted 13x60 sprockets and a Buddy to tackle this China Wall trail.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Much lower down on Forest Road 10 are several milder ORV parks between Forest Hill and Colfax like SugarPine...rolling terrain,red soils, red cedars and twisty blacktop.

However the access road got rather twisty. Perhaps I have used superlatives and flowery descriptions in the past that challenge credibility so I though I better start collecting some corroborating evidence. :rolleyes: Don’t see these sort of advisories every day. Some of the canyon hugging road was one lane for very long distances, like being on a Peruvian Death Road only paved, too intimidating to stop for a picture.:eek:

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Other sections were positively idyllic if not for the 103 degree temps. Would be fun in the fall when things are a good 30 to 40 degrees cooler. I drove this route on my way home looking for my next adventure. While it shaved maybe 35 miles off my trip it took forever in first and second gear, likely the tightest, longest, twistiest paved road I have experienced....and I thought the road to Mono Hot Springs was twisty! Unfortunately no pics from the difficult sections, I stayed focused on keeping on the 10 ft wide road.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Personally I preferred the higher elevations.

Besides, the sunsets are nicer above 7000 ft. This and an accompanying thunderstorm with rain thus ended my Summer Solstice ride.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
Fred,

Last night I watched a video of you and Adam on a singletrack at night and you talking about extra LED Lamps. Where the heck is that posted? I wanted to watch again but can't find the thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Foresthill/ Mosquito Ridge loop sure has many hundreds of TW friendly corners. I would be afraid of overcooking some of them on a more powerful bike like the Buell. The Ralston Ridge just to the south of Mosquito Ridge and French Meadows Lake is equally, if not more twisty as it winds from Mosquito to Hell Hole Reservoir and ultimately on to Loon Lake and HiWay 50.
I haven’t been back to Hell Hole since I sunk a Topper sailboat in the narrows.:rolleyes: bellacragher-bay-boat.jpg IMG_0884.jpg

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
We actually got lost up there that day. Not really lost -- we knew we were between 50 and 80 and 49 and once we found one of them were home free -- worst case scenario. We found our way out without finding one of those highways and ended up in Georgetown. In the mean time we visited many places including French Meadows, Hell Hole, and Loon Lake -- the beginning of The Rubicon Trail or Road or whatever it is.

A couple of pics:
PICT0304.JPG
PICT0316.JPG

And a picture with some snow in it:
PICT0327.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts