TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick video from last weekend's Group Ride of a few hundred yards of the slick rock trail that we bypassed Saturday on the bikes, but then hiked later that night after both the moonrise and copious quantities of various liquid refreshments. Really nice at night as the moonlight reflecting off the rock illuminated well enough for fun stumbling, wonder if the guys will remember it under daylight? This vid was shot at the tail end of Sunday's Group Ride with Dale hot on my heels his neat XT225

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Ain't it so great to have a tagged dirt bike to ride to those beautiful places. I enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing your ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What a great mix of surfaces to ride on.
Thanks for sharing...

BTW, you look to be crawling up that rocky portion pretty slow. What gearing configuration are you running?

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
13 tooth front x 55 tooth rear driving a Duro ATV tire. Net gear ratio is lower by about 10%-15% from stock so I top out at about 55 mph.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
13 tooth front x 55 tooth rear driving a Duro ATV tire. Net gear ratio is lower by about 10%-15% from stock so I top out at about 55 mph.
It's a no wonder you can do wheelies :)

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
While my avatar may make me look competent in reality I had the throttle twisted just as shut as possible while saying a prayer for my continued survival.:rolleyes: Aaaah, Help me Mr Wizard!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
While my avatar may make me look competent in reality I had the throttle twisted just as shut as possible while saying a prayer for my continued survival.:rolleyes: Aaaah, Help me Mr Wizard!
LMAO. Now every time I see that chit I'm going to crack up. I did that on my Mimi bike when I was a kid. I think I was also calling for Mr Wizard as well.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here you go Tommy, shot back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and a plated KDX175 two-smoker was an acceptable trail plaything. Note the bent throttle wrist and look of abject terror. Actually I was worrying about not knocking down a survey marker I had placed for a rare earth drilling project. South of Yellow Pine and east of Cascade ID it was 90 plus mile journey to nearest pavement, phone, beer, girl, etc so we made do with what was available. I used that bike a lot for work collecting stream sediment samples in many a remote region. Nice to get paid to ride where the goal is to get to, and sample, every fork of every stream within an area of interest. Much faster than by truck and foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Here you go Tommy, shot back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and a plated KDX175 two-smoker was an acceptable trail plaything. Note the bent throttle wrist and look of abject terror. Actually I was worrying about not knocking down a survey marker I had placed for a rare earth drilling project. South of Yellow Pine and east of Cascade ID it was 90 plus mile journey to nearest pavement, phone, beer, girl, etc so we made do with what was available. I used that bike a lot for work collecting stream sediment samples in many a remote region. Nice to get paid to ride where the goal is to get to, and sample, every fork of every stream within an area of interest. Much faster than by truck and foot.
Great pic Fred!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Let's here the whole story behind this picture. You did have someone filming you.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My brother who was my partner at the time and I were taking turns filming each other jump an embankment of an old tailings pond after an early season snowfall. If I recall the drill rig was busted so the crew had gone to town chasing wine, women and song and hopefully new hydraulic lines leaving the two of us to hold down the fort. A very small core-rig, the drill was powered by a VW motor and was flown in by helicopter, everything else got 4x4-ed in on a 8 mile jeep road. We were there trying to prove up the strategic mineral potential of the site to qualify for a Wilderness Exclusion Status, i.e. environmental protection vs. Cold War politics.
One of the pathfinder elements we were looking for was tungsten in the mineral scheelite which glows under UV light. So do scorpions. We had lots of adventures wandering around at night stumbling about looking for possible extensions of the original ore body. Some things do go bump in the night.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts