TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First sunny, warm, weekend day of the season, and already worked 3 wrecks involving motorcycles.

Harley rider took a corner too fast, ran off the outside into a barbed wire fence. Half-helmet, gloves, boots. Minor cosmetic damage to bike, chunks of rider's face hanging in fence.

GSX600R rider ran off the 70mph 4-lane and hit mud--bike flew/bounced/skid 397 feet (how fast do you think he was going?) and landed in a weldwire fence. Parts shed everywhere, bike definately totalled. The rider cleared the fence and landed in a pond. Fortunately, the pond was shallow enough passersby could hold his nose out of the water and administer recue breathing. Full face helmet, jacket. Suspected broken neck/back. Paralyzed from shoulders down, unable to breathe for himself.

KLR rider sitting at a light rearended by a mini-van that then ran over bike when driver tried to leave the scene. Bike destroyed. Rider in full gear landed 70 feet from where he stopped. Up and walking around, helmet smashed in back, jacket, pants, and gloves shredded. Some bruising, rode in wife's car to ER just in case.

Be careful out there. If your bike has been stored for winter, allow time to wear the rust off your skills. Watch your 6.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Qwerty, While the message was grizzly, it is one that all of us should consider and remember. It seems like every exceptionally warm spring day brings out a crazy sport bike surge in Albuquerque, and saddly a fatality or two. Stay alert and don't mix the booze with the bike. Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put 40,000 km. on my Suzuki Volusia(cruiser) , mostly in Alberta,Canada . After about a dozen near fatalities I stuck to the roads less travelled . It takes a little research but is much safer and a great deal more enjoyable . Instead of watching out for other traffic I could enjoy the scenery , which of course is always nicer when your on a bike . In contrast , I made a ride through British Columbia , Canada and found the drivers there very aware of all bikes on the road and were very safe and curtious. In the past few years , more road signs have been put up in Albert , asking the people to be aware of motorcyles and I've noticed a big improvement

People just need to be educated . Many of them don't realize what it's like out there on a bike .

I don't have a T-dub yet , but when I do , it will open up that many more roads to travel , Aye!!!

By the way , this T-DUB FORUM is a pure joy read and so very informative . You guys point out the flaws in this little bike , but the love-affair is obvious .

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is scenarios #1 and #2 are avoidable, #3 is the one that scares me the most.
Actually, #3 is avoidable. Stop with the bike in gear and the clutch engaged, and watch your 6. In this case the rider easily could have accelerated over to the emergency lane and not been hit. Never let your guard down while on a motorcycle on the street, not even when stopped.

I forced myself to gear up and take a short ride through the middle of town, past the locations of each crash, then back home on the rural roads surrounding town. Better, now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Why I'll agree that scenario #3 could be avoided, having your bike in gear and your eyes on your mirrors does not remotely guarrantty you will avoid be rear-ended. You have no control over what the driver coming up behind you is going to go do!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why I'll agree that scenario #3 could be avoided, having your bike in gear and your eyes on your mirrors does not remotely guarrantty you will avoid be rear-ended. You have no control over what the driver coming up behind you is going to go do!

One can choose to move out of an idiot's way. Of course, that doesn't mean the idiot won't target fixate on you. Twice I've moved out of the way and the idiot hit the vehicle I was stopped behind. I've only been rear-ended by a cage once while I was riding, and I was going 65mph at the time. Nothing is absolute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts