TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Skip to five minutes to go directly to the crash if you want.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
KJ, watched the entire video. Why is it that you went off the trail? Meaning...what was it that you think made you go left, and down that embankment?

Are you okay ? Joking: I think a TW would have stayed on the trail, and not tried to throw you off, like the Suzy did :D

Mike :hello:

Haha well, it wasn't me, just a video I found on YouTube. I WISH I had a DR650! That may well be my next bike when I can afford it.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Seeing this video a year ago caused me to purchase and wear more protective gear. Neve wore it before, feel naked without it now.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing this video a year ago caused me to purchase and wear more protective gear. Neve wore it before, feel naked without it now.
Yea I know I need to buy some new stuff too. I know it's worth it but it's so much money and I have so little money. So it's hard. I would like a better neck brace, Kevlar-lined jeans, possibly some street boots with better protection (I recently bought a pair of waterproof street boots that are awesome - especially for the price - but the protection they offer is not great), and some knee/shin guards that work better for street riding.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
So, I guess his buddy behind him didn't see it happen, and is still going. In areas like this you gotta stay close together. That coulda been much worse. You saw how packed his bike was, very little room to move on his seat. Never ride that type of terrain, that loaded up, it's stupid, and you can see why. Not smart at all. He's lucky. Looks like he lost his balance which took him hard left. It is funny though, sorry to say.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The Entire Video and Story Thread is over on ADV....not sure of the title, but it{link} has been posted on here before...amazing both he and the bike survived{for the most part}...

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
I imagine it took quit some doing to get the bike back up the escarpment onto the roadway.
Those going to Moab might appreciate KJ's post as a reminder of risks involved in riding new terrain, and how quickly a great adventure can become a great leap off a cliff. Granted we won't be loaded down with the gear needed for a multi-day TAT tour but the need for safety while having fun remains the same. I ride with what I euphamistically call "cautious abandon", a desire to thoroughly embrace the experience tempered by a need for self preservation.
Thanks KJ. Maybe you can find some affordable gear lightly used on Craigslist, maybe even post your own wanted add.

·
Super Moderator
17,649 Posts
As for me, I will be riding nekked in Moab.....or...not as protected as most of you. ;)

UNLIKE~Bad Boy! :confused:
The most experienced rider here on the forum with 478 billion miles logged all over the world, should set an example for safe riding. Just sayin.... :(

I may not know the difference between a rear tire and a grease seal, but I know enough to wear safety gear. :D

No offence meant my brother Mike. I don't want any one to get hurt. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
LT, no offense taken. And I am not even close to 478 billion miles. My theory is that I would rather be comfortable on my rides....wearing the appropriate clothing...but not so bound up that it actually "causes" me to not be able to move my arms and legs when I need to. All of my jackets I take the foam padding OUT of them, and I do not like to be encumbered by restrictive clothing. Yes, in the case of a fall...the padding and guards do help...when you hit the ground...BUT.....I chose to not be encumbered by certain constraints, thus allowing me to avoid falls, because of the lack of mobility.

Ultimately, I do not intend to go down. Yes, people can say "accidents happen", but...if a rider is competent and experienced, they avoid the pitfalls that lead to accidents.

My Thoughts Exactly.....if one is comfortable, it reduces the risk...all a trade out....

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
In all honesty the day after I saw that video I wore my stiff dusty cobwebby long ignored MX boots on a simple trail ride in a newly fostered need for guarding my safety. Dismounted, I stepped back to frame a photo and tripped falling backwards hitting my still helmeted head on a rock. Now that probably would not have happened had I been wearing my normal boots. So I am all for riding as naked as necessary to maintain flexibility and responsiveness .

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
How about somebody edit out the 9.5
minutes of boring ride and just show the crash? Bandwidth is too
expensive to waste on sheer boredom.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Right, loop a GIF of just him going over edge over and over again...it would be enough to make me consider giving up motorcycles for something safe like Pee-Wee Golf.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I saw that too when it was first posted over on ADV. That's "joelfromsf" who rode off the cliff. The thread was titled, "Where the Fuck is my Bike?"

In short, soonafter, a group of ATVers came along and helped get his bike back to the trail. Being a DR650 and the tank that they are (in a good way), it still ran and rode quite well. Somebody rode it some 30 miles to the next town for him I think while Joel went to the hospital for (I believe) fairly minor injuries.

I had a similar experience last year in Oregon.. nothing quite as dramatic though. I was on my KLX and we had just finished a break. The rest rode off and I was last in line. We were on a little-used trail carved into the side of the mountain. But here in Oregon, there are trees everywhere (a good thing in this case).

Well, not 50' out of the break area, I hit a bump just the right way and the bike turned right. I grabbed the brake and clutch and the bike went down to the right, and started down the hill. The bike hit the ground and I kept going over the bars. I did a somersault and landed on my back down the hill a very short ways and started sliding down the hill. I just reached up and grabbed a branch to stop. I think I was only 8-10' below the bike. I climbed back up, turned off the bike and closed the petcock so as to not dump anymore gas, and soonafter, they came back for me. No damage; I hopped back on and continued. I thank my Fox Titan armor jacket yet again.

The worst part? My GoPro battery had died just before the break!! If not, it would have gotten to record the whole thing. Dammit.

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts