TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching all the search engines out there, none give the results.

I ask who makes a super tacky / sticky chain lube.

So I ask you kind folks on this forum.

Does any body know a brand name, of super tacky / sticky, offroad chain lube?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bel Ray Blue Tac is annoyingly sticky. Like contact cement stringers.

Ride on over, you can have my half full sticky on the outside can of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Champion Chain Lube. I believe it's a white lithium grease based spray. Dries into a waxy white film that is pretty sticky and doesn't really "spray".

Cheapo product but has worked well for me and my style of riding and maintenance.
In my 15 or so years of riding and wrenching it's been the chain lube i am most happy with for performance to price comparison.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very good point TW_in_BC, and the main reason i prefer the champion lube. It stays on the chain but doesn't stay wet so it seems to get gunked up less than other sticky/tacky/oily lubes i have used.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I agree with those who question using a high tack chain lube. I use quite the opposite; a dry wax spray lube. It goes on wet and drys to a wax finish. This is mainly for o-ring chains that are pre lubed internally and mainly need protection to the outer surfaces from the elements. Here's a link;
Maxima Chain Wax

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies gang. I'll get the Belray. Someone gave me their clean one, and I figured thats what happened to their old sticky one. I've now learned they still have it.

Thick and sticky is good for me, because I need the highest film-strength possible, and for the lube to stay inside the rollers longer. Especially when swamp'n.

Mess only occurs, because excess lube is not wiped off the outside of the chain, as well as performing propper chain maintenance. More critical on bicycles. On my TW, I let the rivers and streams clean my bike.

No matter what chain lube is used, all will get dirty from dirty environments.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the main idea is to keep it lube and frequent cleanings. My old cbr called for 80w90. So that is cheap and not too hard to flush away with wd40. I’m not sure what the tw calls for but you could always try summer grade chainsaw bar lube if you want something tacky and sticky... what ever you use just keep it clean and do it frequently.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think the main idea is to keep it lube and frequent cleanings. My old cbr called for 80w90. So that is cheap and not too hard to flush away with wd40. I’m not sure what the tw calls for but you could always try summer grade chainsaw bar lube if you want something tacky and sticky... what ever you use just keep it clean and do it frequently.
I also use Gear Oil as Kevin. I jack the bike up and let it idle in first gear as I use an oil can to lightly apply it to the inside of the chain (top of the bottom run) on both inside and outside Orings. I then stop the engine and slowly turn one complete chain revolution to hit the spots where I miss in between pumps. No need to over apply it will just be a slung off mess. Crank it back up and let it idle in first for another minute.

Then I use a binder clip to clip a dry, rigid Magnolia Tree leaf (just because they are handy, a piece of cardboard works great also) to the end on the chain guard as an extension to catch the little bit that will sling off and go for a short 30mph or so spin. Thumbs up if the leaf is spotted with oil. Thumbs down of it is saturated from over applying.

Marty

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
42 Posts
You might want to watch this if you haven't already. I found it very interesting.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts