TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Very amazing, gutsy, and skilled. Fun to watch these.

I'm gonna have to study the last video. It looks like he's flying in the Three Finger Rock and upper Owyhee Lake area. Some of the land marks look awfully close to what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Very cool videos Fred. I was around a lot of STOL equipped light bush planes growing up in Alaska. Always wanted to fly but am blind in one eye so unable to licence. To fulfil the desire I took up paragliding for about 8 years... no licence required and my plane fit under the staircase. Thanks for the videos

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Impressive!

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So troll, wasn't the paragliding equally, or more difficult without depth perception? If you misjudge something isn't it a little hard to feed in some throttle if there ain't no throttle to feed in? I tease Tom, the Dryden-Tdub, about jumping, falling out or getting pushed out of a perfectly good airchine but to throw oneself off a cliff is truly a leap of faith. Impressive to say the least!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So troll, wasn't the paragliding equally, or more difficult without depth perception? If you misjudge something isn't it a little hard to feed in some throttle if there ain't no throttle to feed in? I tease Tom, the Dryden-Tdub, about jumping, falling out or getting pushed out of a perfectly good airchine but to throw oneself off a cliff is truly a leap of faith. Impressive to say the least!
Yes Fred, depth perception can be an issue. I use other cues having to do with speed and motion as well as horizon changes. And you are right there is no throttle to feed in or out. It is a very dangerous sport there is no doubt. On my first training course, on the third day I had to provide emergency first aid and put the senior instructor in the hospital with a broken leg and a fractured pelvis (he was actually lucky he wasn't killed). It is like mountain climbing... most who stay in the sport for long get hurt. I quit after seeing a few bad events... also realizing that as I was getting older my reaction time was slowing down. There is nothing like being 6 thousand over and looking up only to realize you are flying a tent fly and are attached to it with dental floss.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While BS-ing with a paragliding buddy while he was packing for a trip I half jokingly asked when he had last re-packed his reserve shoot. "Way too long." So I teased that his wife would insist he re-pack it now. Low and behold that thing would not deploy no matter how hard he pulled lanyard while I held onto the reserve. It had been compressed under other gear for so long velcro quick release halves had a death grip on each other. Could have been ugly had he needed it in an inoperable condition. Funny thing, he gave up the sport not too long afterwards. He just climbs moutains now, no longer jumps off of them.
Lesson learned? Test your assumptions and check your safety gear often, whether it be air pressure in the wife's spare tire or that spare fuse and master link tucked away in your TW toolkit. When you need it you need it.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as I am hijacking my own flying oriented thread here is some cool footage. Note minute 4:00. As Tom can attest anyone can fall out of an airplane, but how many can then re-enter another plane in a dive?
I posted this as a cheerful counterpoint after watching some other videos of squishy base jumping and wing-suit mishaps.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Very cool videos Fred. I was around a lot of STOL equipped light bush planes growing up in Alaska. Always wanted to fly but am blind in one eye so unable to licence. To fulfil the desire I took up paragliding for about 8 years... no licence required and my plane fit under the staircase. Thanks for the videos
Since when have Alaskan bush pilots worried about licenses? My cousins all told me of the times they took the family planes without permission like the rest of us snuck Mom's car. Then there was the time my aunt found a used condom in the back of her Beaver, but ... .

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Fred LOVED those videos! Thank you for sharing. My question is this. How does one practice flying a wing-suit???

Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'd suggest jumping out of an aircraft because a wrong turn while BASE jumping a wingsuit might bring you to a painful meeting with the edge of the sky.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'ld go with a conventional jump from altitude, those wingsuits probably have a glide slope steeper than the learning curve.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yeah, I'ld go with a conventional jump from altitude, those wingsuits probably have a glide slope steeper than the learning curve.
Terminal illness ever sets in. I'm suiting up. That looks like something I would die to learn.

Tom

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Make it your last item on the Bucket List? You sure? hopefully you're just being puny. Traumatic for those who have to clean up afterwards. Jeb Corliss actually survives this scrape with mother earth and goes on to fly another day. Jeez, I'ld take up knitting afterwards if I survived that! Don't watch if easily upset.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm stuck on Band Aid brand cause Band Aid's holding my leg to my hip. Sung to the tune of a 1980's Band Aid commercial:D

Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Got no use. When my time comes I'll ride off into the sunset, find a comfortable place to sit, and wait for death with dignity and courage. Either that or smash into a bridge at 70mph.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Got no use. When my time comes I'll ride off into the sunset, find a comfortable place to sit, and wait for death with dignity and courage. Either that or smash into a bridge at 70mph.
Of those two options I'd take the sunset ride...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts