TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would start a build thread for my bike. Picked my first TDub up in October and I've been slowly making it mine over the past few months. Lots of inpirational builds on this site and I hope to make mine at least half as cool. Some images below show the before and after so far. I'll just post up here randomly to show my progress. Thanks!

Here are some images of the bike when I bought it on Oahu. Title says it had around 7000 miles on it. This is a 1987 so I hope the dreaded CDI issue never shows up.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Here is how the bike looks now.
tw200.jpg tw200-2.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some Highlights of some mods I've done.

Round Headlight was purchased off ebay. Painted Camo to match the rest of the bike. Also I fit all the signal wiring inside of the casing, making the clutter down in front a little less intrusive.

tw200-3.jpg

Also got these OURY Grips to replace my old weathered ones.

tw200-4.jpg tw200-5.jpg

LED Taillight purchased from ebay added as well. Has integrated signals making a cleaner design.

IMG_4523.JPG IMG_4528.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh yeah!!! I like the round head lite and the mini turn signals. What happened to the Carver rack?? I got mine on , but comes off easy. Are your tires original? Mine are so I am changing them now.
saw 3 more TW's on the north shore this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MR PAYNTER, The surfboard rack is made by Carver. You can find them on E-bay, cost about $140 us. They bolt onto the TW easy, good for shorter boards, but will take a long board. I had to make a pvc pipe bracket off my front frame to hold the longer board. Don't know how to post pictures yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looking good, can you send me some details on your tail-light?
Nice and clean!

Also some details on your board rack? :D
Board Rack: CSR Moped ? Carver Surf Racks
Rack Sells for about $100 I think. Got it on craigslist for about $60. I still haven't gotten it mounted in a solid place where I feel its really secure. Once I get it all locked in and done, I'll get you guys some good shots of it. Debating building my own though. I love the Deus bikes how they have built in racks mounted near the front and rear of the bike.
yamaha-blaster-BOARD-HEROa.jpg
Check out this build here. Blaster | Deus Ex Machina | Custom Motorcycles, Surfboards, Clothing and Accessories

Tail Light was purchased here. 12V Smoke 20LED Motorcycle Brake Tail Turn Signal License Plate Integrated Light | eBay

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! Headlight pretty much makes the bike for sure. Defiantly the best part of my build so far. I really wanna get some new tires for mine but I'm currently dealing with a leaky carb and fuel petcock. Let me know what kind you get. Hope you can get some pics up soon. Shoots!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome, thanks guys!
I should be fine with the smaller rack, as I'll be lugging a bodyboard and fins.

Also love the Deus bikes, and it makes sense after doing a couple of trips to Bali, most of the scooters/bikes out there have similar racks welded/bolted on.

I am really loving this right now: Le French Atelier's Yamaha TW200 | Bike EXIF
I know it's just the little 125, but it's so very good-looking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SUPERTROOPER: I went with the Bridgestone 204 (R) 203 (F) mainly for the road and sand. Cut 3" off the handle bars,easier to get by the security gate at the hotel for the surf check. Removed the last section of the frame and plastics and mounted the Carver rack over the back part of the seat. NO drilling or cutting of the frame, 4 bolts can remove it quickly. Mounted the lights and plate to the back off the frame. Had it like this for my safety check. 2 trips to Kapaa (SC) and 3 trips to Lihue (rego) to get it legal.
I can send you pics if you PM me your #. Got a carb kit and a new petcock from bike bandit. Waiting on clutch springs and other stuff I want to change out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nice mods. Love the color. My next TW is going to be a cheap beater so I can paint cut chop weld strip and hammer it "my way". I just can't bring myself to do it to a nice one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update! New seat cover! Really stoked on how this turned out. Anyone wanting a more retro look to there TW, this is by far the cheapest way to get a seat made. The ones on Web.JP sell for over $200. This only cost me $26. I went over to eBay and had a custom seat made from user mac32756. Just shoot him a message and he would be stoked to make you one. Didn't charge me any extra because he had the material in stock. I went with a chocolate brown seat with pleads, he can add handles as well. I got the insporation for this from iamclosetgeek and his build. http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/13319-wtf-build.html

I cut the seat down as well, so it didn't have such a dirt bike look. Here are some images below if anyone decides to go down the same road as iamclosetgeek and myself. Little modding had to be done because the cover sent was for a stock seat, but just some simple trimming and staples got my bike looking way more awesome!

This is what the fabric looks like next to the stock seat, as you can see, the skulls had to go!
IMG_6252.JPG IMG_6253.JPG

I then cut off the to part of the seat that covers the gas tank. I wish I would of kept just a little bit more, but oh well! Still looks bad ass. IMG_6258.JPG IMG_6259.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of all people, I got my mom to help me get this thing all lined up and tacked on there. She's good a sewing and has a way better eye for detail then I do. We used some Elmer's spray adhesive to get the seat to line up for a basic guide, then tacked away until we got the the front. We had to get a little creative at the front knob, but it turned out pretty good.
IMG_6262.JPG

My fancy staple work.
IMG_6267.JPG

Up toward the top we trimmed the fabric and tucked it in.
IMG_6268.JPG

Here is the final product. I'll update it tomorrow with some better pictures of the seat, but I think it is a good start and I'm on my way to getting this thing turned into a hollow body over the next year. This bike is almost 30 years old! Stoked its running strong.
IMG_6276.JPG IMG_6280.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Helmet. I've been rocking an open face for a month or so and I really feel a full face is the only way to go. Picked up this Biltwell Gringo Helmet on eBay for on $95 shipped! Gold is growing on me everyday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421917393.175774.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts