TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone on this forum surf?

I was wondering if anyone has seen a surfboard carrier designed for the TW.

Any ideas as to how one should/could be fabricated are welcome. I'd prefer to have the board in line (behind it) with the bike.

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
With this one, maybe you could catch more air on a jump with a headwind. ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
It would be pretty easy to build a rack that would hold the board over head or even verticle behind you .Mounted to the rear peg mounts I would weld a tube straight back then bend upward with another bend foreword for an overhead holder or just leave it verticle behind you .I might live far from any kind of surfing ,but I do have a real surfboard I use as a bit of a sun shade and will eventually hold the stereo on my 1967 Meyers Manx dune buggy that I hope to be driving this summer .I have a tube bender and could probably whip you up a rack in an hour or two ,unfortunately shipping it would be stupid expensive .The board I have is only about 5 or 6 feet long ,and might weigh 5 pounds ,if yours is close to that ,you might get away with some thin aluminum ,some electrical conduit might also work ,another cheap alternative might be going to a muffler shop and having them build you something with stainless exhaust tubing .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking of using aluminum unistrut and having local boat builders do any welding that may be done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@ Texas - Bodyboarder (and occasional long-boarder when it's flatter) here, I've never attached a rack to my TW, but I have ridden with racks a whole bunch out in Indonesia.
Is there a specific reason you want it behind you? The side-racks you see in most of the photos are comfortable without toooooo much additional width and work really well from experience, and you can buy them made up to attach either by a base-plate or alternatevely to grip the frame?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Texas -
Is there a specific reason you want it behind you? The side-racks you see in most of the photos are comfortable without toooooo much additional width and work really well from experience, and you can buy them made up to attach either by a base-plate or alternatevely to grip the frame?
Streamline aerodynamics. Would like to fit through tight places. I think it would be safer also.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wow! I can't believe I've missed how many guys are cruising for surf-spots on here!

@Texas, I guess I can understand the want for streamlined, I can assure you the side racks keep your very streamlined board out of harms way, otherwise I would go overhead, like that photo posted earlier.
Whichever way you go, please keep us posted, I am interested!

·
Registered
445 Posts
OWT found it before I did. :) I still love that surf rack he did and wouldn't mind one for a SUP for island exploring around here but will probably do a trailer so it can also move my kayak or canoe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts